White Privilege

Not for Jonas Salk.

Youā€™ll have to get me his phone number. Heā€™d be so cool to talk to

Youā€™ve been reading too many white sheets.

Iā€™m pretty sure we arenā€™t going to agree on this, and Iā€™m OK with that.

1 Like

Iā€™m alright with that. Fwiw, I donā€™t want to feel like studying the genetics IQ link is a trap of a bad idea with minimal real world applications, as I generally think the study of people is fascinating. I just canā€™t find anything to the contrary Have good one. :+1:

1 Like

He has a big building down town. Right down the street from Activities Guy.

1 Like

One for the road-

Do you think that Einstein knew his theory of how gravity effects the passage of time would apply to global positioning systems or satellite technologies in general?

Like he was sitting around thinking ā€œGarmin is really going to need this, or those geocachers are just gonna be way the fuck off the mark!ā€.

I highly doubt it. That was so advanced it was essentially religious at that time.

But without the applications of his studies, it was all done purely for himself by himself. None of which would make me think for a second ā€œWeā€™re arming the Rajā€™s of the world with knowledge theyā€™ll abuse far more often than make good use of. Would really love some upside here.ā€

Without the applications of Einsteinā€™s work having so much value, nobody would have ever heard of him.

Higgs boson:

Practical and technological impactEdit

As yet, there are no known immediate technological benefits of finding the Higgs particle. However, a common pattern for fundamental discoveries is for practical applications to follow later, and once the discovery has been explored further, perhaps becoming the basis for new technologies of importance to society.[47][48][49]

Weā€™ve all heard of the Higgs boson, right?

You post something that explicitly says the goal is either current applications or future applications to refute that everything is driven by the monetary dollar it can bring?

Shouldnā€™t I have posted that?

This is way wrong. Einstein became world famous ~1920 when his General Theory of Relativity was experimentally verified. True, GPS needs to account for differences in the passage of time occurring in satellites compared to earth-bound occupants, which is described by Einsteinā€™s Theory of Relativity. But he was famous looong before that.

2 Likes

It says absolutely nothing of the sort. What you say it says goes far beyond even the most generous interpretation of those words in that order.

The most racism that exists in this world is on the television screen and not in the real world. Slavery wasnā€™t even racist, humans have had and still have animals as slaves, have enslaved humans of any and all races. Whites have enslaved whites and blacks, blacks have enslaved blacks and whites etc etc. The only racism Iā€™ve encountered first hand was someone pulling a race card on me. They were doing something extremely ignorant and didnā€™t want to own up to it so they just called me racist. Aside from that experience, Iā€™ve never seen or encountered any racism. The media, tv, and social media basically create and perpetuate all the racism in America today. Someone who disagrees, please prove me wrong on thisā€¦

Umm, someone calling you a racist doesnā€™t qualify as you encountering racism. If this were true, Donald Trump has endured more racism than Frederick Douglass, Rosa Parks, and Jackie Robinson combined.

Racism (def): prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that oneā€™s own race is superior.

1 Like

And without all of the applications we got from him, heā€™d be the guy like Newton, instead of the guy whoā€™s last name we use as slang for genius.

Iā€™m not sure how else Iā€™m supposed to interpret ā€œa common pattern for fundamental discoveries is for practical applications to follow later.ā€ Are you saying the people who dump millions into this level of research are happy to wash their hands of it after the knowledge is gained?

Even the higgs boson was invested into so that one day said investors could reap benefits from its advancements in science. Hell all of their funding is govt driven because the risk tolerance for most realistic uses is ā€˜insert unknown timeline here,ā€™ which is scary

This is why that master race shit is so hilarious. Master race my ass.

Itā€™s called REVERSE RACISM. And if you would like to know the exact situation, it was when I was working at a nightclub. We had a strict dress code that we enforced, one of the policies was no sagging of pants. A gentleman who entered the club with his pants on properly decided he was going to sag them once he entered. I approached him and nicely explained to him our dress requirements and that he had to pull his pants up. He told me that he didnā€™t have to, and that Iā€™m harassing him for the sole purpose that he is a black man. Please explain to me how this is not reverse racism.

Could you elaborate on the point you are trying to make so we can have a discussion?

Reverse racism is not a thing.

Racism is racism. Calling a certain behavior reverse racism implies that racism only occurs one way and that if it occurs the opposite way then it is a different thing. Thus making it seem like a certain group was the original perpetrators of the practice/behavior. I am sure the use of this term reverse racism has undoubtedly contributed to this redefinition of what racism is that you see. The one where previously marginalized groups are incapable of being racist.

Reverse racism sadly is a thing. Black lives matter is a prime example, along with white guilt. There are people stupid enough to believe that only white people are racist. Some even believe all white people are racist, and that black people cannot be racist. How would you define the interaction I had where the gentleman accused me of being racist? I felt very offended by it, as Iā€™m not racist at all and have friends of almost every ethnicity

I am saying donā€™t use the term reverse racism because it has specific connotations. With a bit of tweaking can contribute to the notion that white people are inherently racist and black people and other minorities cannot be.

If someone was racist towards you it is racism not reverse racism. Racism is racism. Its also redundant. The definition of racism includes prejudice exhibited against anyone different then you. Does it make sense to preface with reverse.

1 Like