White Privilege

Imo it’s futile and worthless in nearly every application in the real world.

Maybe one day we’ll have a population that can take a metric like IQ and not use it almost exclusively as confirmation bias, but today is not that day.

Saying it’s irrelevant was poorly put on my part. I think it’s a useful baseline for hiring or for having a general sense of the types of jobs/tasks a person is likely able to accomplish. I also think it’s very relevant moving forward as jobs continue to be more complex and less people have the lowest level IQ necessary to learn these jobs.

However, I tend to think of it in a similar fashion to talent. Innate talent is nice and, in many cases, it allows a person to breeze through certain things, but it can only take you so far and, honestly, talent can also hinder you long term (as can IQ). You have to be able to convert talent (IQ) into a result. That, to me, is more relevant in the real world than a number that shows you have the potential to learn more complex things (or learn faster) than others.

2 Likes

Fwiw I went to an out of state, Agg school and have spent time in rural areas working, as well as just hanging out. I am not fresh outta School as you might believe.

Where I grew up is a special place, and I answered as such when prompted. I prefer to judge people as I meet them. I wish more people did the same.

IQ and/or intelligence are important and relevant. Go into an inner city school after having been in a suburban one and you’ll wonder if those inner city kids are the same species. When you look at behavior as well as intelligence it is important to figure out how much is genetic and thus out of the kids’ control and how much is environmental.

OK. I’ve given literally hundreds of IQ tests.

I disagree that trying to look at differences in how someone may score very high in some areas and have a deficit in others, is futile and worthless and had no application in the real world. Knowing someone’s aptitude, intellectual ability, or speed in processing certain types of information has real world application.

Still had Jim crow laws I believe? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Just a little ridiculous that marine77 was so brash and outlandish in a white privilege thread, and then drops a Taylor made, textbook case of white privilege with his grandaddy’s house haha

I would consider that socioeconomic privilege. I don’t remember being gifted a lake house from either of my poor grandfathers before their self-induced premature deaths.

I must not be white enough.

*spoiler I’m super white.

Agree with you. All the things matter.

Intelligence, or aptitude, or intellectual talent is just one of the things.

Work ethic, or motivation, or mental health, or social capital, or lots of other things also matter.

1 Like

Which a black person in a former slave state will more likely have over a white. Did your grandfathers ever worry about getting lynched?

Which is awesome. But not only do you have supremely above average knowledge of IQs, but I’d take a wild guess that nobody kept data intensive enough for you to have any idea how closely correlated those IQ results were with the results of the individual, right?

I very specifically said nearly every application.

Are you smart enough to not only understand what IQ means, but unbiased enough to be objective about the results, understand it’s limitations, and then provide that insight to someone who would make a decision based off of it? I have little doubt.

BUT, are you anywhere near representative of the vast majority of people that use IQ as a metric? Hellstotheno

1 Like

I dunno, let me ask him…

? Do you have anything to back this up?

*Did you mean over a black?

You saying a black man and your grandad had the same opportunities to buy and maintain a lake house on Ozarks in the 50s? We both know that ain’t true. It’s a socioeconomic advantage created through white privilege. Lots of ticky tacky claims of white privilege out there, its stupid to debate the obvious examples.

Yes and yes.

Well, both of my grandfathers had about a 0% chance/opportunity to buy/maintain a lake house anywhere in the 50s so…

We do? Did you know both my grandfather’s? I sure wish you would have convinced them to not drink and smoke themselves to death. Maybe I would have gotten my lake house!

It’s a socioeconomic privilege created by having money/wealth, not by virtue of being white.

Yes, sometimes that includes intergenerational wealth built off the backs of slave labor.

I don’t know why people feel the need to make sure silly generalizations vis-à-vis “white privilege”.

Would love to read it.

Find your HS American history textbook. Seriously though, if you are implying that blacks in America during the Jim Crow era had it just as bad as whites, poor or otherwise, then you are delusional. Remember, your people did not need a Constitutional amendment to be free. They didn’t need some version of MLK marching to get laws changed.

Don’t have the time, but it looks like you are conflating equality of opportunity, with equality of outcome. Equality of opportunity is what we want as a country. Equality of outcome is what progressive nutjobs want, and is also the strawman argument populist numbskulls constantly use in their defensive rhetoric.

I hope you eventually understand the difference.

No, that’s not what I am implying at all. 1) I must have misunderstood you because I thought you meant white’s from former slave states have a greater opportunity to buy lake houses (or are socioeconomically privileged) than black in 2018 in general and 2) I was just curious how in the world the authors went about coming up with that data.

Ya, I’m aware of how shitty our countries history is, thanks.

Sure that’s why you’ve been posting on here all day.

Nope, I’m not.

I love when folks like you come on here with your smug superiority. It always makes for an enjoyable day.

1 Like

Dude! My brother had a 23&me done!

97% nordic and 3% western european!

1 Like

Nice, here’s mine.

No lake house, though…

*Probably discrimination because of my Neanderthal variants. Fucking bullshit.

2 Likes

Me neither? Just alcoholism and skin cancer.

WTF?

2 Likes