White Privilege

Yes I could and you could find it easily yourself if you looked into it. I’m not gonna waste my time. why don’t you state Your opinion instead of nitpicking somebody. Honestly do you not believe it’s genetic? In which case you’re not worth talking to. Or do you think it’s 100% genetic? in which case you are also not worth talking to. If you’re born with the genetics to be average, which probably were. that’s the best you could hope for. But you can train hard and seem much brighter. you can educate the hell out of yourself. even if your mind is not that quick. Or you could’ve been born with the potential to have a 140 IQ… But you didn’t eat well, suffered from malnutrition, never educated yourself. And you would be an idiot. And yes everything I said is 100% true there. I’m sorry if you can’t understand it. Is there something about this conversation that you don’t want believe?
Well let me tell you something I don’t want to believe. I don’t want to believe that anybody has a genetic advantage over anyone else. I want to believe that we are all perfect in every way. I want to believe that every achievement is purely through hard work. I want to believe that the world is 100% fair. I just know none of that is true

You could have just said no lol.

I did in the thread that was made about race and IQ. I was asking you because I assumed you had read something compelling on the issue. Apparently not.

The 80% number. It’s not that I don’t want to believe it, it’s just that I’ve seen plenty of compelling information at lower than 80 and no compelling information at 80.

Wouldn’t care if it was 95% percent genetic. There’s nothing you can do about who your parents are. the solution is the same, you work on the percentage that is not genetic. Personally I’ve known some pretty unsuccessful people are smart as hell. And lazy as hell. I’ve known some people who I wonder if they are even average. But they are taking the world. Their ambition and energy is endless. You don’t need to be the brightest person in the world to achieve great things

I don’t follow what this has to do with whether or not IQ is nature or nurture?

You just named a bunch of other traits. Like Industriousness, for example. IQ is a very specific thing. A flawed measure, imo, but a specific measure none-the-less.

Like I said, we did this already:

1 Like

Good god what a waste of time

1 Like

Seriously are you have those who believes that every trait a person has is genetic? Or that every trait is due to nurture? It’s a lot more complicated than saying you’re born with all your traits or that you can train to equality. No all you can do is work with what you have. More than likely you have more than enough natural talent to achieve most things. Just not all things. Some people in a given area have far more ability than you. You will never pass them. But trying will only improve you

No. I wrote IQ is dependent on both genetics AND environmental factors almost evenly (50/50).

I didn’t say or imply otherwise.

Good then the truth is I doubt we really disagree.

In another area, the weight room. If we all worked out exactly the same. we would see big genetic differences between us. In the real world that’s not what we see. We see some people with a stronger drive than others, The biggest differences we see between us is in how hard and long we work at it. But then again there’s always that guy who can’t seem to build muscles and that guy who seems to gain them magically. Genetics and nurture may not be equal, they may be 80, 90% but in the real world it really doesn’t matter. Regarding racial differences in averages they show up on paper. But in the real world they don’t mean much. the genetic difference between individuals is far greater. And then comes how you were raised how hard you work. Racenis real, genetics is real, but good Lord we put too damn much importance on race. Far too much emotion on that bit of our lives we have no control over.

1 Like

The only thing I disagreed with to begin with was the 80% figure. I’ve never seen anyone cite 80% as genetic. The highest I’ve seen is 57%.

Otherwise, I agree with the rest. I think difference in IQ is an interesting topic, but pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

1 Like

This thread has moved on, but I think you have to be really careful with this attitude. If you come across blue collar people in rural America, I might assume that you believe you’re superior or more intelligent.

Some of the farmers and ranchers driving their dirty pickup trucks in my home town can certainly hold their own intellectually, and in my experience (in the rural South West), they’re very likely to have families and friends of mixed ethnicity.

Maybe you should study abroad in Oklahoma.

1 Like

You are using that term incorrectly.

Depends on their “supplements.”

Its an extension of the concept.

Or I’m wrong. I don’t actually care. I’m just pushing buttons and goofing on him to get a rise, just like he was doing.

So you do think a black man in the 1950s Ozarks had the same opportunities as a white man?

I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but that is the statement you seem to take issue with?

I have a hard time with this idea that measuring intelligence is futile, or worthless. Despite the limitations, it bothers me when people dismiss offhand the idea that we can test intelligence or mental aptitude. There’s a lot of science to the contrary. Not going to wade into this more here, since we’ve done this before.

@ Heritability of IQ. Here you go.

“The heritability of IQ for adults is between 57% and 73% (with some more-recent estimates as high as 80%.)”

Despite it’s limitations, IQ is correlated with all kinds of indicators related to success, so it continues to be a useful measure. The term IQ seems to be really loaded, but most people don’t have a problem with thinking of different learning aptitudes.

The kinds of aptitude tests you likely took as part of a hiring process at some time. They tend to be highly correlated with verbal or performance IQ, or both. There are reasons to care about intelligence/ aptitude, and the ability to learn new information.

1 Like

I have no idea, as I have been neither.

Have you?

edit: Also, just tooling you a little. I give zero fucks about either of them, then or now.

The majority of my concerns revolve around my families well being. Whata happens in the Ozarks then or now is like umpteen millionth on my list of fucks to give.

What about 1850s?

So you honestly don’t know if a black man in the Jim crow era south was disadvantaged compared to his white peer?

I think it’s pretty easy to look at Jim crow laws and do a simple logical deduction.

See above post for edit.

I think MO is technically the midwest but it was a slave state.