White Bread vs. Wheat Bread

Today, I was comparing the nutrition labels on a loaf of white bread and a loaf of wheat bread. They were virtually the same in every way. So why is wheat bread recommended??

Be careful you’re not comparing white bread versus, well, “brown” white bread. Meaning, it could say wheat and be brown but its not STONE GROUND WHOLE WHEAT.

If you see “Enriched wheat flour” or some shit, its garbage.

Go for the stone ground whole wheat, not white bread in disguise. Lots of “wheat” breads aren’t truly whole wheat.

It has to do with the refined white flour spiking insulin levels thus causing your body to store fat.

100% whole wheat flour does not do this…

my own reason… white flour is made by BLEACHING wheat flower.

Would you eat bleach?

Here’s another ‘experiment’ you can do. Take a pan of white flower, and a pan of wheat flower. (no need to use a ton of it) and sprinkle some water into the pan, like rain drops. Now, bake that stuff at about 100 degrees for a few hours. You’ll notice the white flower ‘drops’ become ROCK HARD, while the wheat flower ones don’t. So, imagine what it does in your body? (obviously it isn’t turning into soldified plaster because of other digestive mechanisms that about in the stomach and small intestine, but then again, why put SHIT into your body?)

The bleaching process of white bread depletes it of any nutritional value, so they enrich it. Whereas real whole wheat bread has it’s natural nutrients, which is always better for you. White bread is not much better than plain sugar for your health.

Well I went and looked at the indridients, and what do you know, the first one I see is “enriched wheat flour”

Dammit.

Well I guess my mom bought the shitty wheat bread. So I guess my next question is: Is the shitty wheat bread any better than the white bread??

[quote]jon_gotti14 wrote:
Well I guess my mom bought the shitty wheat bread. So I guess my next question is: Is the shitty wheat bread any better than the white bread??[/quote]

Any better?

Yes.

Much better?

Probably not.

Here’s the key with lables. . . if it says ‘whole wheat flour’ or ‘100% whole wheat flour’, then you’re probably in good shape. That means that this particular ingredient is whole wheat, non-bleached, flour.

Now, if it just says ‘wheat flour’ or ‘enriched wheat flour’, you’ve got a problem. the problem is that there are few restrictions as to exactly what that means. I could take 80% bleached white flour, add 20% whole wheat flour, and call it “wheat flour”.

Pretty sleazy, eh?

Always be careful when dealing with this kind of thing. . . food manufacturers will do almost anything to sell a product, even trying to label it as ‘healthy’ when it isn’t. Heck, look at Soy for the ultimate exmaple.

You need Wheat or Stone Ground. Regular Wheat bread is white bread with Molasses added to it to make it brown. All bread is made with wheat (with the obvious exceptions of Rye, Pumpernickel etc.)flour making wheat bread an easy claim.

Man this is some great information! Any other suggestions about other foods?

-Machine

Even whole wheat isn’t properly processed either. Either way, we’re screwed. In the old days, we used to ferment whole grains to get rid of anti-nutrients but these days those big bread businesses don’t use that type of processing because it’s too time comsuming and just want to maximize profits.

Look for Fiber.
Not to jump on the low carb bandwagon, but most low carb tortillas, breads and pastas have added fiber.
A word of caution though, if your not used to high fiber go easy at first.

I checked the label on some grain english muffins and found that the first ingridient was “unbleached enriched wheat flour.” Whole Wheat Flour was also listed. However it’s still enriched wheat flour. It’s like they are mixing the good and the bad. What would you guys make of this?

By the way, good info everyone, I appreciate it.

My personal opinion is if youre not 100% sure of the ingredients, stay clear.

Im with everyone here and only buy 100% stone ground whole wheat bread. Made by dempsters here in Canada I believe.

It happens to be the same reason to steer clear of Subway. Whole wheat bread is hardly whole wheat.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
my own reason… white flour is made by BLEACHING wheat flower.

Would you eat bleach?
[/quote]

Dude, they don’t actually use bleach to bleach flour. Bleaching just means removing the pigment from something. They use oxidizing agents to do that, not chemical bleach. You’d die if you ingested that.

We also refer to teeth-whitening as “bleaching,” but there’s no bleach in any of those products either.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
You need Wheat or Stone Ground. Regular Wheat bread is white bread with Molasses added to it to make it brown. All bread is made with wheat (with the obvious exceptions of Rye, Pumpernickel etc.)flour making wheat bread an easy claim. [/quote]

Is rye bread or pumpernickel bread a good clean food? I see it in my local health store all the time made fromm 100% rye. What’s the GI like?