White Boy...

[quote]escot4 wrote:
oztrav wrote:
i was watching drum roll last night, (with my girl friend she made me)
and it dawned on me why is it that african americans can call caucasions white boy, cracker and shizzle fizzle (ok i added that last one in the hell of it) and it is seen as soccially acceptable. Yet if it was turned around it is a massive no no. I dont mean to incite a ‘insert’ colour pride thread I was just curious as to that dynamic in your American culture. In Australia we get called white dogs for the most part. I was wondering on peoples opinions on why that is?

Maybe because there’s a history of violent oppression against African-Americans that was led by White people in the U.S.[/quote]

Really? How bout for my “white” italian ancestors who never stepped foot on american soil until the 1900’s?

Oh wait, I get lumped into oppressors as well right?

I don’t mind being called a “Mick” or “potato head”, etc. because I’m Irish.

When I spent a lot of time in England, they call me the “colonist.” In China they called me “long nose.” Not a problem.

What I find really funny is the way blacks call each other “nigger” and other names in normal conversation but if I used the same names I would get shot and gutted. That’s kind of the reverse double standard. It doesn’t bother me but just seems strange.

[quote]Avoids Roids wrote:

When I spent a lot of time in England, they call me the “colonist.” In China they called me “long nose.” Not a problem.

What I find really funny is the way blacks call each other “nigger” and other names in normal conversation but if I used the same names I would get shot and gutted. That’s kind of the reverse double standard. It doesn’t bother me but just seems strange.[/quote]

no, i think it’s just a standard and it’s not all that strange. my mom and grandma call me names that i won’t let anyone else call me. my sister and dad included.

my friends call me “fucking douchebag” everday and that’s fine. i’d feel alot different about it if someone i hardly knew said that.

What I find really funny is the way blacks call each other “nigger” and other names in normal conversation but if I used the same names I would get shot and gutted. That’s kind of the reverse double standard. It doesn’t bother me but just seems strange.[/quote]

I usually just get ‘Hey Irish bastard!!’

And I think when a black man calls another black man ‘nigga’ theres a sort of implied solidarity that exists between them.

What I find funny is in Pulp Fiction when Sam J says ‘Get back in there and chill them niggas out’ when the people in question are both white. Dunno why, I just think its funny. Quinten Tarantino wishes he was black I reckon.

[quote]jacross wrote:
Because black people are cool, white people are uncool…

If it bothers you then pull out the fists. I’ve had racism levelled at me (never white dog though I have to say), you just get over it and move on. Dickheads are dickheads whether they are black, white, or brindle.[/quote]

Dickheads … and possibly fearful / insecure? Hey, why would you pick on someone’s visible differences unless you’re threatened by them in some way? And what’s the deal of dropping names on what one has no choice in (lineage)?

Probably just because the kind of white people who use those names assume that any black person they see is about to shoot and gut them.

Or maybe you’re just an idiot.

From my experience, people would think you’re an idiot, some might laugh at you, but nobody usually goes overboard on it. That’s in Canada, though, where incidences of shooting and gutting are fairly low, as a rule.

[quote]comedypedro wrote:
And I think when a black man calls another black man ‘nigga’ theres a sort of implied solidarity that exists between them.[/quote]

OK, it comes from movies, but all the times I’ve seen a black person call another black person a nigger, it’s with a negative connotation (body language). Of course, it’s always the ‘bad’ guys/girls who say it first.

It’s too complicated to call people brown or pink. So we’re black and white. We are, however, not above calling people yellow.

It’s a double-standard. We should be able to call them niggers like everybody else!

what’s up my niggas?

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:
escot4 wrote:
oztrav wrote:
and it dawned on me why is it that african americans can call caucasions white boy, cracker and shizzle fizzle (ok i added that last one in the hell of it) and it is seen as soccially acceptable. Yet if it was turned around it is a massive no no. I dont mean to incite a ‘insert’ colour pride thread I was just curious as to that dynamic in your American culture. In Australia we get called white dogs for the most part. I was wondering on peoples opinions on why that is?

Maybe because there’s a history of violent oppression against African-Americans that was led by White people in the U.S.

But all of the white(europeans, not americans) who did that are long dead or old and rotting. How come blacks never target africans? Certain africans enslaved other africans, and still do. Never see blacks and africans fighting about it…[/quote]

Blacks didn’t get the right to vote until 1965, and that was only because of massive upheaval in the South. Every black leader has been mysteriously “assassinated”. Slavery. Jim Crow laws. The Solid South. Segregation. A constant police bias. A third of black men being in prison…so on and so forth.

If all we white folks have to deal is being called, “cracker” after all the shit that has gone on, then I say we have no right to complain.

Spend some time in jail, where you’re the minority. See how much it sucks. Then multiply that times three hundred years and ten generations.

[quote]oztrav wrote:
and it dawned on me why is it that african americans can call caucasions white boy, cracker and shizzle fizzle (ok i added that last one in the hell of it) and it is seen as soccially acceptable. Yet if it was turned around it is a massive no no. I dont mean to incite a ‘insert’ colour pride thread I was just curious as to that dynamic in your American culture. In Australia we get called white dogs for the most part. I was wondering on peoples opinions on why that is?[/quote]

I don’t know why is it ok for a woman to call a guy a dick, but not ok for a guy to call a woman a cunt? Think about how history and social construct can play into this?

A lot of you need to review human history, it seems like the most basic view of society I have ever heard besides a few good posts from fightinirish and others. Do you think it was just something that happen and it was ended and everyone was equal, hahahaha. Thinks have a tendency to carry on and be passed down.

There are life experiences that can only be understood if you experience them, whether its being a complete fat ass, being a man, a woman, handicapped, mentally retarded, a different ethnicity, et cetera.

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:
oztrav wrote:
and it dawned on me why is it that african americans can call caucasions white boy, cracker and shizzle fizzle (ok i added that last one in the hell of it) and it is seen as soccially acceptable.

Yet if it was turned around it is a massive no no. I dont mean to incite a ‘insert’ colour pride thread I was just curious as to that dynamic in your American culture. In Australia we get called white dogs for the most part. I was wondering on peoples opinions on why that is?

I don’t know why is it ok for a woman to call a guy a dick, but not ok for a guy to call a woman a cunt? Think about how history and social construct can play into this?

A lot of you need to review human history, it seems like the most basic view of society I have ever heard besides a few good posts from fightinirish and others. Do you think it was just something that happen and it was ended and everyone was equal, hahahaha. Thinks have a tendency to carry on and be passed down.

There are life experiences that can only be understood if you experience them, whether its being a complete fat ass, being a man, a woman, handicapped, mentally retarded, a different ethnicity, et cetera.
[/quote]

I hear ya. Change happens slowly.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

Blacks didn’t get the right to vote until 1965, and that was only because of massive upheaval in the South. Every black leader has been mysteriously “assassinated”. Slavery. Jim Crow laws. The Solid South. Segregation. A constant police bias. A third of black men being in prison…so on and so forth.

If all we white folks have to deal is being called, “cracker” after all the shit that has gone on, then I say we have no right to complain.

Spend some time in jail, where you’re the minority. See how much it sucks. Then multiply that times three hundred years and ten generations.[/quote]

Along similar lines, I’d like to point out that I have it on good authority that your great grand uncle used to regularly beat and rob my great grand uncle back in the day. I despise you and your entire family for this and I have every right to - we are, after all, accountable for the sins of our fathers. So if I call you a goddamn heathen sonofabitch, you’d better just suck it up because YOU DESERVE IT for what your grandpappy…er… great grand uncle…whatever… did to my people.

I worked with a black guy in a predominately white occupation in the south, and this was the coolest guy I ever met. He didn’t associate with the other few black people that worked with us because he referred to them as niggas. He said thier outlook on life and thier demeanor classified them as lesser than him.

The funny thing is when ever anyone of the black guys would say someting like," what’s up my nigga?", he’d tell them he wasn’t thier nigga, he was my nigga.

He didn’t push the racial thing to any degree, he would call me his nigga, and I would call him my black honkey.

He had a better grasp on what people were really about, and wouldn’t take anything offensive.

He was also married to a white woman, and I asked him why one day, and the only thing he could say was he didn’t want to screw a useless nigga. Granted that was a poor choice of words on his part, but this man was very educated and didn’t fit the typical stereo type, his whole outlook on life was based on his travels and things he had done, not the color of skin.

Bullpup

[quote]bullpup wrote:
his whole outlook on life was based on his travels and things he had done, not the color of skin.
[/quote]

What?

[quote]Body Hammer wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

Spend some time in jail, where you’re the minority. See how much it sucks. Then multiply that times three hundred years and ten generations.

Along similar lines, I’d like to point out that I have it on good authority that your great grand uncle used to regularly beat and rob my great grand uncle back in the day. I despise you and your entire family for this and I have every right to - we are, after all, accountable for the sins of our fathers. So if I call you a goddamn heathen sonofabitch, you’d better just suck it up because YOU DESERVE IT for what your grandpappy…er… great grand uncle…whatever… did to my people.

[/quote]

You’re missing my point. What has been done to blacks is not a case of “My grandfather beat up your grandfather”. Hell, I’m Irish and Italian, and those two races used to fucking hate each other.

It’s not a fight between individuals, but a collective oppression that’s gone on since this country was founded. No other people were brought here as slaves, no other people had to go through a two hundred years of being counted “three fifths” of a person. What slavery did was something that carries on into this current century. It demoralizes a people so much that what happened is the “Vicious cycle” that you hear about so often. When your great great grandfather was a slave, your great grandfather was kept in a shack in fear of a bloody, racist South, your grandfather and father were beaten in the Civil Rights movement…not too mention that all of them were probably in jail at one time or another because of the excessive poverty…it creates a defeatist mindset.

I think a lot of times that if I was a black 22 year old instead of a white 22 year old, I would be incredibly angry, and wouldn’t want to help the system that a gun to my family’s head for five generations. Just the fact that knowing that your last name likely came from the people that owned your own family is something that I would get sick about.

I think that people make the mistake of thinking that the past is really dead. The things that were done a hundred years ago absolutely affect people today, from the collective conciousness down to the individual on the street. That “vicious cycle” is absolutely true-a third of black men being in jail means that at least a third of black kids don’t have fathers, which, I think, increases their own liklihood that they will end up in jail themselves.

If you don’t think this is true, look at rap music. The reason I really dig that music is because the anger is so clearly visible in every song. Where do you think that anger comes from?

Obviously, some people are able to escape those ghettos and climb out, and to a better life. Life has also never, ever been fair for anyone. However, I think it’s irrational to think that four hundred years of outright hatred dissapears once we told people forty years ago, “Nah, we’re sorry. You can vote, we actually think you’re people now”. There’s a lot more to this than simply, “I don’t like that they call me cracker, I never did anything”.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Body Hammer wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:

You’re missing my point. What has been done to blacks is not a case of “My grandfather beat up your grandfather”. Hell, I’m Irish and Italian, and those two races used to fucking hate each other.

It’s not a fight between individuals, but a collective oppression that’s gone on since this country was founded. No other people were brought here as slaves, no other people had to go through a two hundred years of being counted “three fifths” of a person. What slavery did was something that carries on into this current century. It demoralizes a people so much that what happened is the “Vicious cycle” that you hear about so often. When your great great grandfather was a slave, your great grandfather was kept in a shack in fear of a bloody, racist South, your grandfather and father were beaten in the Civil Rights movement…not too mention that all of them were probably in jail at one time or another because of the excessive poverty…it creates a defeatist mindset.

I think a lot of times that if I was a black 22 year old instead of a white 22 year old, I would be incredibly angry, and wouldn’t want to help the system that a gun to my family’s head for five generations. Just the fact that knowing that your last name likely came from the people that owned your own family is something that I would get sick about.

I think that people make the mistake of thinking that the past is really dead. The things that were done a hundred years ago absolutely affect people today, from the collective conciousness down to the individual on the street. That “vicious cycle” is absolutely true-a third of black men being in jail means that at least a third of black kids don’t have fathers, which, I think, increases their own liklihood that they will end up in jail themselves.

If you don’t think this is true, look at rap music. The reason I really dig that music is because the anger is so clearly visible in every song. Where do you think that anger comes from?

Obviously, some people are able to escape those ghettos and climb out, and to a better life. Life has also never, ever been fair for anyone. However, I think it’s irrational to think that four hundred years of outright hatred dissapears once we told people forty years ago, “Nah, we’re sorry. You can vote, we actually think you’re people now”. There’s a lot more to this than simply, “I don’t like that they call me cracker, I never did anything”.[/quote]

My dear Irish friend,
Do you call Britons Limeys or Saxon Trash? After all look what they did to your ancestors. If we used your analogy U2 would be singing “the queen is a crack ho” or “f— the Royal Marines”. If you do feel this way about the brits then I guess with me being 50% scot blood I guees I need to get on the bandwagon…

“Where my Macs at”

All jokes aside in the year 2007 I don’t see the need for me to have white guilt. If a black guy calls me a cracker or peckerwood I am going to give it right back. I have some good black friends and they have said they respect that. If you want to be treated equal you can’t hold on a crying towel.

Why is it always I’m ________-American?

Fill in the blank with Italian, African, Irish, whatever.

Shouldn’t it be I am American of ________ descent?

That has always annoyed me.

[quote]Hunthor wrote:

My dear Irish friend,
Do you call Britons Limeys or Saxon Trash? After all look what they did to your ancestors. If we used your analogy U2 would be singing “the queen is a crack ho” or “f— the Royal Marines”. If you do feel this way about the brits then I guess with me being 50% scot blood I guees I need to get on the bandwagon…
[/quote]

I didn’t know that the Irish are so fond of the English nowadays. I must be out of the loop…but as I recall, this Northern Ireland situation has only been “settled” in the last ten years, though the IRA still will not disarm. That’s been going on for a millenia. Thanks for proving my point.

[quote]

All jokes aside in the year 2007 I don’t see the need for me to have white guilt. If a black guy calls me a cracker or peckerwood I am going to give it right back. I have some good black friends and they have said they respect that. If you want to be treated equal you can’t hold on a crying towel.[/quote]

It’s not guilt, and its not crying. Its acknowledging the fact that the past doesn’t just go away. Racism is not dead, in fact, I think it’s as prevalent today as it ever has been.

If anything, whites have reached new heights in irony. I know guys who “hate niggers” but listen to rap, dress like them, and even talk like them. It amazes me.

[quote]TDog305 wrote:
Why is it always I’m ________-American?

Fill in the blank with Italian, African, Irish, whatever.

Shouldn’t it be I am American of ________ descent?

That has always annoyed me.[/quote]

I agree. I’m not Irish or Italian- my great grandparents were. I’m American.