Whiskey II

Widow Jane

Bib and Tucker.

All in all, the Widow Jane and the Bib and Tucker I think are just riding the bourbon wave, nothing special about them aside from good looking marketing (cool name, bottle, whatever). They aren’t bad, just pretty average in what’s become a very saturated bourbon market.

JW Blue Label is one of the top 2 scotches I’ve ever had, extremely smooth. Would not pay $200/bottle for it, though.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Bib and Tucker.

All in all, the Widow Jane and the Bib and Tucker I think are just riding the bourbon wave, nothing special about them aside from good looking marketing (cool name, bottle, whatever). They aren’t bad, just pretty average in what’s become a very saturated bourbon market.

JW Blue Label is one of the top 2 scotches I’ve ever had, extremely smooth. Would not pay $200/bottle for it, though. [/quote]

What WOULD you pay $200/btl for? (keeping strictly to scotch)

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Bib and Tucker.

JW Blue Label is one of the top 2 scotches I’ve ever had, extremely smooth. Would not pay $200/bottle for it, though. [/quote]

What WOULD you pay $200/btl for? (keeping strictly to scotch)[/quote]

Not much, if anything. But that is much more a reflection of my non high rolling status and my overall frugality than it is a reflection of the contents of any particular scotch.

I’ll say my favorite scotch was the bottle of The Macallan 21 yr Fine Oak. If I’m dropping $200 on a bottle, that’s the bottle I’m getting.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
Bib and Tucker.

What WOULD you pay $200/btl for? (keeping strictly to scotch)[/quote]

Not much, if anything. But that is much more a reflection of my non high rolling status and my overall frugality than it is a reflection of the contents of any particular scotch.

I’ll say my favorite scotch was the bottle of The Macallan 21 yr Fine Oak. If I’m dropping $200 on a bottle, that’s the bottle I’m getting. [/quote]

I had a taste of 21 yr Balvenie Portwood a few years ago that was pretty magical. It retails around $220 … I’ve played with the idea of picking a bottle up, but, like you, I’m pretty frugal and my marginal utility between that whisky and the same amount of, say, 12 yr old single malt does not justify that extra $180-$190 price difference.

In the “if” game, I’d probably drop the money on that scotch.

They just caught the people involved in the 2013 Pappy Van Winkle theft.

As a sorry side note - they also caught the ringleader with illegal steroids.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
There’s some $175 bourbon (can’t remember the name right now) at my favorite liquor store that I’d so like to try so as to see where all those extra $ come from.[/quote]

I’m with you on that … I’m just skeptical that the extra cost won’t add up to the same level of enjoyment … BUT it would be an enjoyable experiment

[quote]mud lark wrote:
They just caught the people involved in the 2013 Pappy Van Winkle theft.

As a sorry side note - they also caught the ringleader with illegal steroids. [/quote]

every time I hear about this story I think of that season of Justified with Neal McDonough (Buck Compton from Band of Brothers) … that’s all the dude would drink and he’d reference Pappy every damn episode

07 May 2015

About forty minutes ago UPS delivered two 750 ml bottles of 33 year-old single-malt “Liquid Hedonism” from The SMWS vaults, bottled in Scotland. A single refill hogshead ex-bourbon cask, number 41.61, that only generated 130 bottles. Put one sealed bottle into the collection, and the other bottle …

From the other bottle poured a dram. About ten minutes later poured a second dram; then reinserted the cork and placed the bottle on the rack. Both drams were consumed at room temperature and neat, of course. The SMWS Tasting Panel described this whisky perfectly: “Golden syrup sponge, peach cobbler and treacle tart, placed on a French polished mahogany table. Red velvet cupcakes and a heady plum liqueur. A deep and rich experience, with Jamaica cake, dark, chocolate, honey and vanilla. Extraordinarily silky in texture as tropical mango juices abound in the finish.”

IMHO this “Water of Life” is simply fantastic … very, very smooth, and no bite whatsoever.

Have any of you seen/tried this? I saw it at the market last weekend. Kind of interesting…

http://www.timeandoak.com

My cut is officially over. Time to drink and smoke cigars. Went out a few days back and bought 2 bottles of JWB, 2 bottles of Laphroaig, 2 bottles of Bowmore and 1 bottle of Woodford. Now, sitting in my man cave enjoying a glass of Johnny. It’s good to be back

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
My cut is officially over. Time to drink and smoke cigars. Went out a few days back and bought 2 bottles of JWB, 2 bottles of Laphroaig, 2 bottles of Bowmore and 1 bottle of Woodford. Now, sitting in my man cave enjoying a glass of Johnny. It’s good to be back
[/quote]

Welcome home. I think I will join you tonight on my deck with one of my best bourbons and cigars.[/quote]
Thank you

So my wife invited some people over tonight for my birthday and decided to really showcase the whiskey collection. I have 5-7 more bottles that she couldn’t fit up here without it looking cramped, but this layout looked too damn sexy not to share.

And a closer shot.

It’s really too bad my friends don’t drink whiskey, haha. They won’t even be able to appreciate what they’re looking at. :frowning:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I’m gettin’ ready.
[/quote]

Is that a Brickhouse cigar?