Whiskey II

30 Nov 2014

Received notification of this Scottish single malt whisky opportunity in this mornings e-mail.

The Glenmorangie Taster Pack invites you on a journey through Glenmorangie’s exquisite range of expressions. Enjoy first the Original 10yr. Then sample that same whiskey extra matured in Port, Sherry, and Sauternes casks. This set contains four 100ml bottles. One each of Glenmorangie Original, Lasanta, Quinta Ruban, and Nectar D’Or. The perfect gift for any whiskey enthusiast.

Go to www.InternetWines.com to purchase this taster pack. For the price of $29.99 this is an excellent discounted price for a few sample bottles from one of my favorite single malt distilleries.

Enjoy the “water of life” every chance you get.

Roll Tide Roll.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Tried an Irish whiskey called Red Breast earlier this week at a friends recommendation. Easily the smoothest whiskey I’ve ever had. Gonna pick up a bottle later this week. Can’t recommend it enough. [/quote]

Most definitely my favorite Irish whiskey. Iirc, push is in agreement.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Tried an Irish whiskey called Red Breast earlier this week at a friends recommendation. Easily the smoothest whiskey I’ve ever had. Gonna pick up a bottle later this week. Can’t recommend it enough. [/quote]

Most definitely my favorite Irish whiskey. Iirc, push is in agreement. [/quote]

Dude, it was incredible. Had two sandwiched around a Jameson Black and the Red Breast blew the high end Jameson out of the water, and I’m a Jameson guy.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Dude, it was incredible. Had two sandwiched around a Jameson Black and the Red Breast blew the high end Jameson out of the water, and I’m a Jameson guy.[/quote]

Costco had some 21-year-old Redbreast on sale for $200; I just noticed it today and thought of this this thread. If you get a chance, try the 21-year, that shit is the bomb.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Dude, it was incredible. Had two sandwiched around a Jameson Black and the Red Breast blew the high end Jameson out of the water, and I’m a Jameson guy.[/quote]

Costco had some 21-year-old Redbreast on sale for $200; I just noticed it today and thought of this this thread. If you get a chance, try the 21-year, that shit is the bomb. [/quote]

Next time I have two bills burnin’ a hole in my pocket, I’ll pick some up. Thanks.

Some Christmas spirit from one of my faves

Do you guys tend to buy one bottle at a time and finish it before moving onto the next? Or do you have a few glasses of this one night, a few glasses of that the next, etc…?

Great thread.

Bought a small {2 litre} oak barrel from amazon yesterday. Planning on aging my own Manhattans.

As for bourbons. I have to say that Four Roses single barrel is probably the best value you can get. I’ve been on a rye kick lately and have been enjoying rittenhouse rye. Runs about $22 a bottle here in MD. Also give Dickel rye a shot if you get the chance. Both solid bourbons straight up, on the rocks or in a Manhattan.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

Costco had some 21-year-old Redbreast on sale for $200; I just noticed it today and thought of this this thread. If you get a chance, try the 21-year, that shit is the bomb. [/quote]

Next time I have two bills burnin’ a hole in my pocket, I’ll pick some up. Thanks. [/quote]

Its back up to $300 now. Regular Redbreast is awesome, though, so cheers.

Nothing new to report, just a friendly reminder.

Last night I had 2 drinks at the bar. 1st up was Booker’s. Good and strong, just as I expected. Next thing I knew, someone I was with bought me a Basil Hayden. I’ve always liked Basil Hayden, but after 120 proof Booker’s, BH tasted like watered down Coors Light. It was actually kind of gross.

Basically, the reminder is, if you’re going to drink different whiskies, start off with the light stuff and end with the hard stuff.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Last night I had 2 drinks at the bar. 1st up was Booker’s. Good and strong, just as I expected. Next thing I knew, someone I was with bought me a Basil Hayden. I’ve always liked Basil Hayden, but after 120 proof Booker’s, BH tasted like watered down Coors Light. It was actually kind of gross.

Basically, the reminder is, if you’re going to drink different whiskies, start off with the light stuff and end with the hard stuff. [/quote]

Dude, went and had a steak with some buddies last week and started with a Jameson, switched to Angel’s Envy then went back to Jamo. After the AE that Jameson tasted like paint thinner, and I really like Jameson. Of all of the whiskey’s I’ve had, Red Breast and Angel’s Envy are the top two by a mile.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Basically, the reminder is, if you’re going to drink different whiskies, start off with the light stuff and end with the hard stuff. [/quote]

Dude, went and had a steak with some buddies last week and started with a Jameson, switched to Angel’s Envy then went back to Jamo. After the AE that Jameson tasted like paint thinner, and I really like Jameson. Of all of the whiskey’s I’ve had, Red Breast and Angel’s Envy are the top two by a mile.
[/quote]

Angel’s Envy is very good.

Given your past couple posts, it sounds like you like Jameson the same way I like JD. It was my introduction whiskey and for a while it was all I drank. Then I started getting into it and trying more things and I realized how much great stuff is out there. JD no longer makes it onto my shopping list. :slight_smile:

All that being said, JD will always be something special to me.

Attached are a couple of my “collectible” bottles. The one on the right is 1 of the 7 scenes from lynchburg bottles. These aren’t all that rare and are pretty current but I like them.

The one on the left is a bottle from the 80s, I actually have two of them. I’m not sure how rare they are, but they are 86 proof (current JD is only 80 proof). At some point, at least one of these older bottles is getting cracked open.

Went to my liquor store today. Bought a bottle of my usual Bowmore. Then I decided I was gonna buy myself something new for Christmas. Have always wanted to try Redbreast 12. I picked up a bottle for right under 60 USD. Have listened to everybody’s review on this whiskey on this forumn and it became one of my, " must tries ". I can tell you Pushharder knows his whiskey. Redbreast is phenomenal!!! It is very complex and full flavored. The nose is so awesome. It smells like vanilla mixed with play doe that you played with when you were a kid. Taste like vanilla and honey and about 4 other things I can’t pinpoint. So much going on with this whiskey!!! Thanks to everybody that recommended it and Merry Christmas.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Picked up a bottle of this just now for $24. I’m impressed.

Plenty going on here – spicy, buttery with the toffee and candy that I like along with the “pop” I prefer.

Do it if you like bold whiskey.

Don’t do it if you don’t like a good, hearty bourbon fireworks show on your palate.[/quote]
Thinking about trying this. The reviews I read say it is very similar to Woodford. It’s also cheaper. They both come from the same distiller.