Whiskey II

I bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 81.

I wasted my money. It has no flavor and no kick (that should’ve been obvious but still I wanted to try it.)

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
And a closer shot.

It’s really too bad my friends don’t drink whiskey, haha. They won’t even be able to appreciate what they’re looking at. :([/quote]

Holee excrement! That be lookin’ good.

Which High West whiskies are you carryin’ there?[/quote]

My wife bought me 3 of them, Rendezvous Rye, Campfire and Double Rye. The only one I’ve opened so far is the Campfire. It’s a mix of rye, scotch and bourbon. It’s decent, but I probably won’t be picking it up again. It’s pretty unique, the scotch and bourbon are both very distinct.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
And a closer shot.

It’s really too bad my friends don’t drink whiskey, haha. They won’t even be able to appreciate what they’re looking at. :([/quote]
Nice display! Your lucky I’m not one of your guests. I would have tried a BIG glass of that Pappy.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:

I’m gettin’ ready.
[/quote]

Is that a Brickhouse cigar?[/quote]

Can’t remember.[/quote]

This just in, Lanky knows entirely too much about cigars.

Count?

I was up on the Isle of Skye this weekend running a half marathon, and it would have been remiss of me not to visit the Talisker distillery while I was there! I took the tour and learned a lot about one of my favourite single malts.

The whisky is distilled here but since 1972 the barley has been malted in Glen Ord, and barrelled and stored in Fife (transported in unmarked containers). I was slightly disappointed that it wasn’t all done in one place but the guide explained that with 3 million barrels produced every year they just don’t have the capacity on the Skye site. I suppose that’s the price of popularity!

He told us about a fire at the distillery where a flaming river of whisky spilled out into the loch, and they paid tax on everything they lost as they were unable to specify an exact amount! All that whisky and money up in smoke.

These are a few of the remaining barrels still stored at the distillery. They have been there since 1979 and were originally intended to be bottled as 35 year olds (retailing for �£585 in the shop), but the blenders have other plans for a what will be a very old, very expensive whisky.

The barrels in the front are white oak barrels imported from America after being used once with bourbon. The barrels are dismantled, shipped, and then each slat is checked for impurities before being re-assembled and used for the Talisker. It is the white oak that gives Talisker its colour: no artificial colourings are used. The barrels in the background are sherry casks used for the distiller’s edition.

The guide explained two factors that give Talisker its unique taste: one is the salty air in its storage facilities (all are coastal), that over time permeates the barrels and gives the whisky its salty notes.

The other takes place in the distilling room. Talisker’s peppery flavour comes from the interaction between the spirit vapour and the copper stills as it travels through on the way to being cooled and condensed. They can’t (or won’t?) explain exactly how this magical reaction produces Talisker’s spiced edge, but they have added an “S” bend to the copper pipe travelling to the cooling tub so that the vapour spends more time in contact with the copper, a technique used only by Talisker.

And this is what I came away with! Talisker Port Ruighe (Gaelic for Portree, the main town and port on the island). There’s a pun in there too as this one is aged double-aged in port casks, and fruity sweetness of the port really comes through.

I also tasted Storm, which is Talisker without the peat (sweeter, more delicate), the Distiller’s Edition (aged in sherry casks), and the 25 year old which wasn’t to my taste. A lot of the older whiskies I try have a “sharpness” that I don’t like.

Awesome posts ^
One of my favorite whiskys by far
Cool stuff Diddy

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
These are a few of the remaining barrels still stored at the distillery. They have been there since 1979 and were originally intended to be bottled as 35 year olds (retailing for �?�£585 in the shop), but the blenders have other plans for a what will be a very old, very expensive whisky.

The barrels in the front are white oak barrels imported from America after being used once with bourbon. The barrels are dismantled, shipped, and then each slat is checked for impurities before being re-assembled and used for the Talisker. It is the white oak that gives Talisker its colour: no artificial colourings are used. The barrels in the background are sherry casks used for the distiller’s edition.

The guide explained two factors that give Talisker its unique taste: one is the salty air in its storage facilities (all are coastal), that over time permeates the barrels and gives the whisky its salty notes.

The other takes place in the distilling room. Talisker’s peppery flavour comes from the interaction between the spirit vapour and the copper stills as it travels through on the way to being cooled and condensed. They can’t (or won’t?) explain exactly how this magical reaction produces Talisker’s spiced edge, but they have added an “S” bend to the copper pipe travelling to the cooling tub so that the vapour spends more time in contact with the copper, a technique used only by Talisker.[/quote]

Excellent thread. Would love to have a bottle or two of the 35-plus year old for the collection, providing the exchange rate is within reason.

[quote]Stew wrote:
Excellent thread. Would love to have a bottle or two of the 35-plus year old for the collection, providing the exchange rate is within reason.
[/quote]

You’ll have to post in here and tell us how it tastes if you do!

Sipping on some Quita Ruban right now!
Not your typical whisky though.

My buddy got me a bottle of knob creek for being one of his groomsmen this past weekend and oh man that’s good stuff. I should’ve tried it sooner.

Also, the groomsmen were all balls deep in some Johnny Walker Blue by breakfast. That was delicious, too. (In related news, water is wet.)

Picked up a bottle of this today and sipped it for a few hours tonight. First time I ever had any Makers Mark. It is DANGEROUSLY smooth. I really liked it. I’ve been on a Bourbon kick lately.

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
Picked up a bottle of this today and sipped it for a few hours tonight. First time I ever had any Makers Mark. It is DANGEROUSLY smooth. I really liked it. I’ve been on a Bourbon kick lately. [/quote]

Maker’s 46 is a good, solid Bourbon … I’ve bought that bottle a few times … The regular Maker’s (Maker’s Mark) is also a very good Bourbon

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]crowdhater wrote:
Picked up a bottle of this today and sipped it for a few hours tonight. First time I ever had any Makers Mark. It is DANGEROUSLY smooth. I really liked it. I’ve been on a Bourbon kick lately. [/quote]

Maker’s 46 is a good, solid Bourbon … I’ve bought that bottle a few times … The regular Maker’s (Maker’s Mark) is also a very good Bourbon[/quote]

I really like the 46 too.

If only they made it in a 100+ proof…[/quote]

Knob Creek has a 9 yr that is 100 proof that’s very good … I believe it is at the same price point (or at least in the competitive range) as the 46

I can’t say I prefer one to the other, honestly; it depends really on what I’m in the mood for when I’m at the store (between the two). They’re both pretty comparable and worthy substitutes of each other.