Whiskey II

Wow…we reached our limit in the original thread.

Whisky.

I’m training for my first Highland Games and this stuff is like creatine

I consider it a mild failure that this thread wasn’t titled “Whiskey, Make It a Double” or “Whiskey: Another Round.”

As recommended in the last thread (by Push and someone else, I think), I recently finished up some Maker’s 46. Definitely a big improvement over Maker’s Mark, more flavorful (I get kind of a nice burnt caramel from it). If you’re not a fan of regular Maker’s, this might still be worth a try because it’s really not the same.

Question for the group that I’ve been wondering, not sure if it came up last thread. How often do y’all drink? Seems like this could be a habit/hobby that might not necessarily jive with hard training and good eating. Do you approach it in an “IIFYM” kind of way, or just not stress over it because it’s just a glass at a time, or what?

I made a semi-arbitrary deal with myself that I don’t drink on days I lift, so that shortens my sipping to 3 or 4 days a week at most right there. When I do, it’s usually a double while cooking dinner or after dinner, or when lounging around on a weekend afternoon.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
I consider it a mild failure that this thread wasn’t titled “Whiskey, Make It a Double” or “Whiskey: Another Round.”

As recommended in the last thread (by Push and someone else, I think), I recently finished up some Maker’s 46. Definitely a big improvement over Maker’s Mark, more flavorful (I get kind of a nice burnt caramel from it). If you’re not a fan of regular Maker’s, this might still be worth a try because it’s really not the same.

Question for the group that I’ve been wondering, not sure if it came up last thread. How often do y’all drink? Seems like this could be a habit/hobby that might not necessarily jive with hard training and good eating. Do you approach it in an “IIFYM” kind of way, or just not stress over it because it’s just a glass at a time, or what?

I made a semi-arbitrary deal with myself that I don’t drink on days I lift, so that shortens my sipping to 3 or 4 days a week at most right there. When I do, it’s usually a double while cooking dinner or after dinner, or when lounging around on a weekend afternoon.[/quote]
If I want to stay married then 2 drink minimum, that can be 3 or 4 times a week. That is the way I approach this, you are no longer actually drinking for effect. More for quality and a little stress relief. My .02

I was lucky enough to try Black Maple Hills 16 Year on my last fishing expedition to Wisconsin.

My vocabulary is sophisticated enough to describe the taste of $130 bourbon with superfluous language befitting a spirit of this caliber, but my palette is not sophisticated enough to actually detect any of those flavors.

It just tasted like really good bourbon. It was very good. Best I’ve ever had. Went well with the trout we caught.

I didn’t really participate in the last thread, mostly because it was so far along that I didn’t want to read through it all and catch up (lest I repeat a bunch of stuff that had already been said), but I feel like jumping in here.

I was fortunate enough to attend a bachelor party in Kentucky this summer and do a few distillery tours, the highlight of which was visiting the Woodford Reserve distillery. Woodford’s “Double Oaked” Bourbon is good stuff. I have a bottle of that which I’m working through very slowly. Speaking of which…

I made a semi-arbitrary deal with myself that I don’t drink on days I lift, so that shortens my sipping to 3 or 4 days a week at most right there. When I do, it’s usually a double while cooking dinner or after dinner, or when lounging around on a weekend afternoon.[/quote]

For me, the rule is “weekends only” and preferably just once per weekend, but I’ll do “Friday and Saturday” if there’s a social occasion that merits a drink. Lightweight that I am, I stick with a two-drink maximum that only gets waived for an occasion like a bachelor party or wedding (and even then, I usually don’t go past about four drinks), so I don’t worry about the caloric hit much because it’s so infrequent and rarely more than 2 drinks per week altogether.

I’m more of a “social” drinker than anything else, but if it’s been a tough week at work, I’ll give myself a 1-2 ounce pour of bourbon on Friday night (sometimes while cooking dinner, or more commonly, after dinner). That’s all that I do “alone” - I like wine, but I won’t open a bottle just for myself, that’s reserved for occasions when I’m dining with my lady.

I end up cycling my hobbies, so the more time I’m spending lifting weights, the less I’m drinking, smoking cigars and playing golf. The more I’m doing one of those other things, the less I’m doing the rest. So it really varies depending on what I’m most into at the moment. I have weeks I drink 3-4 nights and I have other weeks I don’t drink at all. All in all, I probably average once a week.

I had a whiskey flight the other night with Elijah Craig, Blantons and Basil Hayden. I wasn’t much a fan of the Elijah Craig, the Blantons was all right, and the Basil Hayden is still one of my favorites. I’m not sure what that says about my taste in whiskey, or where I should explore from here. I also generally prefer ryes over bourbons.

As far as drinking, I just started working from home, so I have the “opportunity” to actually have a drink or three during the day. I tried that once this week, and I’m not sure how I feel about it.

Recently I’ve been having one drink a night, most nights, and then two or three on a weekend day/night. More than I have for awhile, less than I have in the past. My jigger and shaker are currently missing from my move, so it’s been just straight liquor, beer, and sampling a few ciders. Once I find those, I expect that number to go up for a bit as I get back into cocktails for a bit.

But really, it just rotates in and out. Sometimes I’ll drink regularly, 1-3 a night, and sometimes I’ll go weeks or months without touching anything, with the occasional 6+ day/night.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I had a whiskey flight the other night with Elijah Craig, Blantons and Basil Hayden. I wasn’t much a fan of the Elijah Craig, the Blantons was all right, and the Basil Hayden is still one of my favorites. I’m not sure what that says about my taste in whiskey, or where I should explore from here. I also generally prefer ryes over bourbons.

[/quote]

My recommendation would be to just keep sampling, but stay in the 80 proof territory.

I asked this same question when I began contributing to the whiskey thread. You answered me back that you only drink around dinner and not on lifting days. I’ve been following those rules more or less. I think it’s a good plan. My problem was when I took a couple weeks off training this summer. Drank too much. Also when I do drink it’s always whisky and it is about 3-4 oz, usually with a cigar. I HATE being drunk. I LOVE being relaxed. I honestly believe that it’s much better to drink like this than to get obliterated on the weekend. Of course, just my opinion.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
I didn’t really participate in the last thread, mostly because it was so far along that I didn’t want to read through it all and catch up (lest I repeat a bunch of stuff that had already been said), but I feel like jumping in here.

I was fortunate enough to attend a bachelor party in Kentucky this summer and do a few distillery tours, the highlight of which was visiting the Woodford Reserve distillery. Woodford’s “Double Oaked” Bourbon is good stuff. I have a bottle of that which I’m working through very slowly. Speaking of which…

For me, the rule is “weekends only” and preferably just once per weekend, but I’ll do “Friday and Saturday” if there’s a social occasion that merits a drink. Lightweight that I am, I stick with a two-drink maximum that only gets waived for an occasion like a bachelor party or wedding (and even then, I usually don’t go past about four drinks), so I don’t worry about the caloric hit much because it’s so infrequent and rarely more than 2 drinks per week altogether.

I’m more of a “social” drinker than anything else, but if it’s been a tough week at work, I’ll give myself a 1-2 ounce pour of bourbon on Friday night (sometimes while cooking dinner, or more commonly, after dinner). That’s all that I do “alone” - I like wine, but I won’t open a bottle just for myself, that’s reserved for occasions when I’m dining with my lady.[/quote]

Got an acquaintance who’s part owner of Woodford Reserve. Had never heard of it 'til we were introduced and he mentioned it and bought our party a round. It’s smooth stuff, and I’m not normally a bourbon guy.

Need to scan the old thread and up my whiskey game.

LoRez: I’m also a big fan of Basil Hayden. GF and I split a whiskey flight at a big dinner a few months back and we both loved it. Very smooth.

crowd hater: really like the way you put that - I hate being drunk, but love being relaxed. For me that’s the sweet spot. One generous 2-ounce pour is enough to get me there.

WF: that’s pretty cool. Woodford is definitely good stuff and their distillery tour was first-class.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
LoRez: I’m also a big fan of Basil Hayden. GF and I split a whiskey flight at a big dinner a few months back and we both loved it. Very smooth.

crowd hater: really like the way you put that - I hate being drunk, but love being relaxed. For me that’s the sweet spot. One generous 2-ounce pour is enough to get me there.

WF: that’s pretty cool. Woodford is definitely good stuff and their distillery tour was first-class.[/quote]
Woodford is a great bourbon. One of my favorites. Although IMO it’s second to any of the Scotches I like. Trust me not trying to ruffle anybody’s feathers but damnit give me peat anyday. Let the flaming begin!!

Was given a bottle of Barterhouse Bourbon and am having a good time with it. Good emount of oak and burn to it but when you see the age, it’s not too overwhelming considering. The bottle is going quick in my cabinet when it’s a shame its about $75. Have to ration and rotate.

And for how often I drink a week…two days a week usually to myself with a small sip after work. And maybe a beer or two once or twice a week out. I’ve gotten better turning it down from 5 to 6 days a week with 4 of those being heavy to what I do now. I actually started going to whiskey because I could easily pound back 10 to 15 beers multiple nights a week and still recover except for my waist line. I could easily chug bag whiskey too but for my home drinking I’ll stretch for pricier bottles. The budget keeps me from drinking it too fast.

Then there’s the day like today where I go to a Giants game and binge from sun up to evening. A day like today only happens a few times a year though.

And what do you guys think of blends? I was at a bar a week ago and they had their own specialty blend of Blanton’s. They get samples of Blanton’s direct and have it mixed to their liking and the recipe is then saved and made just for them. They had it done with Angel’s Envy too.

I drink whiskey on Wednesday, beer on Saturday. I guess Whiskey Wednesdays and Sudsy Saturdays.

And yeah, I was trying to think of something witty for the title but coouldn’t. ‘Make it a double’ is a good idea.

I tried this for the first time today. It was always on my list. Strange drinking scotch without peat but it was really good with a finish that lasted forever. I really like the bottle it looks round but it’s actually an oval shape. Would buy again.

THE MACALLAN has been a personal favorite for decades. One of the profound characteristics is that, regardless of the number of years aged, this whisky always offers a different and most pleasant sipping experience.