T Nation

Whipped Because of a Teddy Bear

Being whipped for naming a Teddy Bear, rioting over cartoons, whipping 13 year old girls, …

This thread is dedicated to all those wonderful whackos that make life grand!!

LONDON, England (CNN) – UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Tuesday that officials were working to secure the early release of a British teacher who faces being whipped in Sudan after she allowed her class to name a teddy bear “Mohammed.”

Gillian Gibbons, 54, has been accused of blasphemy and is being held by police in the capital Khartoum, Kirsty Saunders, British Foreign Office spokeswoman told CNN.

Police arrested the school teacher after she asked her class of seven-year-olds to come up with a name for the toy as part of a school project, according to widespread media reports.

Parents of students at the Unity High School in Khartoum informed the authorities and Gibbons was taken into custody Sunday, Saunders told CNN."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/africa/11/27/sudan.bears/index.html

Let’s hear some more of these stories, gents (before Sharia Law kicks in and you get whipped for posting).

She deserves death! That blasphemer.

I was going to post that yesterday.

How is that blasphemy?

She should print out the comics that caused everyone to get all huffy and make billboards out of them.

It is absolutely ridiculous how we let other people’s religious views and ideals govern how we live our lives.

Tolerance is one thing, conforming is another.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Let’s hear some more of these stories, gents (before Sharia Law kicks in and you get whipped for posting).
[/quote]

Our Blessed State already has the power to call you an enemy combatant and throw you in jail because it doesn’t like your attitude. It seems the same thing to me.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
Let’s hear some more of these stories, gents (before Sharia Law kicks in and you get whipped for posting).

Our Blessed State already has the power to call you an enemy combatant and throw you in jail because it doesn’t like your attitude. It seems the same thing to me.[/quote]

Naming a Teddy Bear is the same as plotting mass murder in your eyes?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Naming a Teddy Bear is the same as plotting mass murder in your eyes?[/quote]

So naive. You don’t have to be plotting a mass murder to be called an enemy combatant anymore…haven’t you read the latest update to the USAPATRIOT Act?

This is what happens when westerners intervene in backwards places like Sudan.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Naming a Teddy Bear is the same as plotting mass murder in your eyes?

So naive. You don’t have to be plotting a mass murder to be called an enemy combatant anymore…haven’t you read the latest update to the USAPATRIOT Act?[/quote]

I think you overblow the whole thing. In times of WAR these things are not negotiable. Period. I will sacrifice some rights to gain security.

As long as I’m not a fucking terrorist what do I need to worry about??

You guys catastrophize everything.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Naming a Teddy Bear is the same as plotting mass murder in your eyes?

So naive. You don’t have to be plotting a mass murder to be called an enemy combatant anymore…haven’t you read the latest update to the USAPATRIOT Act?

I think you overblow the whole thing. In times of WAR these things are not negotiable. Period. I will sacrifice some rights to gain security.

As long as I’m not a fucking terrorist what do I need to worry about??

You guys catastrophize everything.[/quote]

So, no ones been wrongly accused so far?

Look, we’re not as bad as them. Period. But are laws are equally as scary. They’re just taken advantage of less.

And if people like you populated our great nation, our great nation wouldn’t exist.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
This is what happens when westerners intervene in backwards places like Sudan.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL2756248720071127?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=22&sp=true [/quote]

You mean shedding light on barbaric and stupid practices? I wonder if they’ll throw the kid a beatin’ too?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

As long as I’m not a fucking terrorist what do I need to worry about??

You guys catastrophize everything.[/quote]

Can you PROVE that you’re not a terrorist? Because it sometimes seems like you might eventually need to.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
This is what happens when westerners intervene in backwards places like Sudan.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSL2756248720071127?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews&rpc=22&sp=true [/quote]

Here she was, trying to make the world a better place for everyone, and this happens.

We have to realize that there are some parts of the world that you must never visit (unless of ocourse there’s oil there).

Now remember, the purpose of the thread is to collect all these gems from around the world. Any more stories, like whipping a 13 year old girl for tempting some fine Iranian gent and forcing him to molest her, stuff like that?

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
And if people like you populated our great nation, our great nation wouldn’t exist.[/quote]

Excuse me? Come again?

Well, there was this toddler who was accused of sexual harassment because he hugged his teacher, thereby touching her breasts.

No wait, that wasn’t Iran, but some other backward place full of religious nutters. Texas I think.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:

So, no ones been wrongly accused so far?

Look, we’re not as bad as them. Period. But are laws are equally as scary. They’re just taken advantage of less.

And if people like you populated our great nation, our great nation wouldn’t exist.[/quote]

You normally bring a level of coherence to a left-of-center perspective around here, Beowolf - but this is untenable.

"Our"laws are equally as scary? Nonsense - and you diminish yourself by the equivocation. There is no Gestapo to come for you in the night. Neighborhoods aren’t disappearing before our eyes - and if heightened security bothers you in a time of war, then seek out another nation.

The government can’t throw you into dark places “just because they don’t like what you say”. The concept is preposterous - and should be self-evidently so by Lifticus’ endorsement of the idea.

You say our laws are essentially the same, we just “don’t take advantage of them” - no problem, now you produce a law equivalent to jailing and beating someone for taking a prophet’s name in vain by naming a teddy bear.

Either federal or state will do. I’ll wait patiently.

I think if none of you has the nutsack to actually go over there and try to fix it without the mighty power of the State (and its weapons of mass destruction) to back you up you should just keep quiet. You don’t really care about these people. You just like feeling morally superior in your self-righteous martyrdom.

This lady on the other hand could be considered a hero even though she is part of the problem. She may have good intentions but she ultimately is going to alienate their culture. She is there to try and change these people which has costs one must be willing to bear. She has been wronged and I hope she is freed. Somehow I doubt it will be that easy.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Beowolf wrote:
And if people like you populated our great nation, our great nation wouldn’t exist.

Excuse me? Come again?
[/quote]

French + Indian war and the aftermath or right snatching that occurred because of it pissed off a bunch of colonists. Said colonists continue on to found the Sons of Liberty and fight some red coated British soldiers.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
I think if none of you has the nutsack to actually go over there and try to fix it without the mighty power of the State (and its weapons of mass destruction) to back you up you should just keep quiet. You don’t really care about these people. You just like feeling morally superior in your self-righteous martyrdom.

This lady on the other hand could be considered a hero even though she is part of the problem. She may have good intentions but she ultimately is going to alienate their culture. She is there to try and change these people which has costs one must be willing to bear. She has been wronged and I hope she is freed. Somehow I doubt it will be that easy.[/quote]

Are you the pot, or the kettle in this little diatribe?

you would be taken far more seriously if you had a shred of conviction about you. But you don’t. You have run the gammit in the short time you have been here.

How about you figure out which color you want the fucking stripe down your back to be - and then stick with it.

I think you would look fabulous in yellow.

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
Beowolf wrote:

So, no ones been wrongly accused so far?

Look, we’re not as bad as them. Period. But are laws are equally as scary. They’re just taken advantage of less.

And if people like you populated our great nation, our great nation wouldn’t exist.

You normally bring a level of coherence to a left-of-center perspective around here, Beowolf - but this is untenable.

"Our"laws are equally as scary? Nonsense - and you diminish yourself by the equivocation. There is no Gestapo to come for you in the night. Neighborhoods aren’t disappearing before our eyes - and if heightened security bothers you in a time of war, then seek out another nation.

The government can’t throw you into dark places “just because they don’t like what you say”. The concept is preposterous - and should be self-evidently so by Lifticus’ endorsement of the idea.

You say our laws are essentially the same, we just “don’t take advantage of them” - no problem, now you produce a law equivalent to jailing and beating someone for taking a prophet’s name in vain by naming a teddy bear.

Either federal or state will do. I’ll wait patiently.

[/quote]

Allow me to rephrase. It is not the law or the actions that are at all similar, it is the implication that scares me in both cases. We could, potentially, have a government that does such things. They WON’T because we’re a civilized, sane nation, but they COULD. Read the USA Patriot act. “enemy combatant” isn’t defined very well.

I’m sorry for being so “crazy”, but I have a very strong dislike of the Patriot act. It is a DISGRACE to this nation to even have such potential for something as disgusting as a lack of Habeas Corpus. Habeas Corpus is THE right, without it the Constitution might as well be toilet paper in a jail cell.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

I think if none of you has the nutsack to actually go over there and try to fix it without the mighty power of the State (and its weapons of mass destruction) to back you up you should just keep quiet. You don’t really care about these people.[/quote]

Yes, because everyone certainly follows your advice. Feeling more inadequate than usual?

It is precisely the outright condemnation that is needed - the event should be shamed.

Actually, no - it is about noting important distinctions between a pathology and its alternative that relativists simply won’t recognize.

This kind of pathology is inherent in the culture - and it isn’t some effect of “blowback” or some other excuse.

And, it isn’t hard to feel “morally superior” in condemning a practice of jailing and beating someone for the free exercise of speech - well, at least it shouldn’t be. What, did Lew Rockwell inform you in an email you weren’t supposed to express outrage at the event?