Whiplash : Getting Jacked to be the Scary Dad

Thanks for the detailed post man! They’re programmed into what I’m running right now and I’m trying to decide whether or not I want to keep them in rotation in the future. I’ll keep hammering them hard these next 5 weeks. I’m seeing some decent pec growth, but I can’t attribute it specifically to the flys- the DOMs, though, I can haha.

1 Like

Thanks man! Much appreciated

Yeah they definitely do a good job of making you sore haha. To be honest too, I do prefer a good pec dec over dumbbell flys, but that’s not an option for me right now. The reason I say that though is because I feel more tension throughout the whole rom on a pec dec compared to dumbbells…however that’s just a personal preference. Dumbbells are awesome too

1 Like

In a fair amount of pain today, back is trying to act up and knees don’t feel good. It’s safe to say that unintentionally doing the splits in drywall stilts (yes there’s a story with this) is not what you want to do lol.

On the docket though is primarily chins and poundstone curls. Maybe some ab wheel if I can find where my son hid it, and if not, the maybe stir the pot.

1 Like

So I wanted to do a write up on food…largely how I’m eating now.

So back around the end of sept, I started down the high fat road again, but it didn’t last long simply due to food cost. Through the pandemic, food (and the cost of living period) has been rising. We quit going to Costco even, cause it was getting to be way to costly for not enough food. We found other options that just work way better.

I work in construction, I’m a dad and I like to workout. I have to stay fueled to support my output. Along with that, my wife has celiacs and I am gluten intolerant, and I need to stay away from milk and cheese. So I have employed a couple points from the article talking about one rule diets, and then filled in the rest with what I already knew.

So…bullet point time :

• Main carb sources are oates, rice, cream of rice, gf noodles and potatoes. We do make use of beans and lentils once or twice a week too.

• Main fats are olive oil and coconut oil. Also don’t shy away from animal fats.

• Main proteins are chicken, tuna, and eggs, but also “supplement” with premade meatballs, sausages, and tofu (tofu is less frequent but it’s cheap so yeah)

• Veggies are local bought for the most part and I don’t eat a lot of fruit

Simple solid eating is the main idea. I don’t count calories or macros but I do try to get in about 4 meals a day. Sometimes it’s 3 with some snacks. I know when I’m undereating and I know when I’m doing good. I do use some condiments too…sugar free ketchup, mustard, hot sauce etc. I’m not using much supplements right now, aside from the creatine I still have left. We do eat out from time to time, but that can be hard with the restrictions we have. We will have fun meals at home from time to time too.

I think that’s about it for now lol

2 Likes

Well life gave me a deload this week. I had a shit ton of work to do…framing, drywalling, taping and finishing. Lots of hours…damn deadlines being changed. Have been beat the last couple days especially. Still have to run back to the site to sand a couple things for the painter this morning.

Gonna get in at least a couple good sessions this weekend…maybe more. I’m wanting to crush da leggz among other things.

1 Like

So my birthday is coming up (dec 15) and I’m trying to come up with some kind of birthday workout. If anyone has any suggestions that would be awesome.

Aside from that…today is sort of a recovery day. Lots of stretching, light weight high reps type of stuff and so on. I will have some shovelling to do too as we got a nice dump of snow last night and we were thinking about taking the kiddo sledding too so that will be fun. As far as the LWHR stuff goes…think stuff like resistance band push downs, face pulls, flys, and so on. Stuff to get my body feeling less beat up.

1 Like

I did birthday bear complexes this year. Weight on bar was all the numbers of my birth date added together and rounded

1 Like

Nice…I kinda feel like I remember that. I had an idea of doing a CrossFit style chipper type thing with 29 reps for every exercise cause 29 is how old I will be…but not 100% set on that

General upper body :

Lat pull down x 50 reps
Chest dips x 10/10/7/7
Hang clean x 3x10
Single arm row (landmine) superset with landmine press x 3 sets
Side raise superset with hammer curls x 3 sets

Just a nice overall upper body workout. Nothing really special about it per say, but it covered the bases I needed.

I did an abbreviated version of the way I used to train, which I will talk about after I write my workout

Quick push work
Weighted pushups (+40lbs) x 2 sets
Dive bombers x 2 sets
Dips x 10/10/6.5/6
8 overall work sets

So like I said, this is an abbreviated workout based on the way I used to train back when i didn’t have much weight to play with at home and couldn’t afford a gym membership. Because I out grew my weight set to some extent or another, I had to come up with creative ways to get stronger and my training was largely based around body weight training.

One thing I would do was essentially pre exhaust myself with a smaller exercise in order to make the bigger one harder. As my performance improved I started adding weight. I got good results from it and was getting pretty strong…I could do 20lbs weighted handstand push-ups (not freestanding) for consecutive sets of 10 at 180lbs body weight for example. And my conditioning was getting there too…for example I did 1000 push-ups in 72 min. I miss being in that kind of shape, and with not having a lot of weight to train with as it is, doing workouts like the one above (although it was super quick due to toddler duties) I feel is important…along with doing CrossFit workouts and so on.

So in today’s case, I did weighted push-ups and dive bombers for a couple sets each, then I went for my dips. It made the dips so much more challenging, which was great. I gave myself a tad more rest time before my final set so that I could get a final good solid set.

Anyways…more to come later

1 Like

Killing weakness

So between loads of dishes (we hand wash) :

5 rounds of
Russian twists
20 with 20lbs weight, fast/explosive but controlled
10 with no weight, very slow and controlled

30 reps per round x 5 rounds = 150 reps

My core is a weakness right now, and I need to bring it up so I decided to use a nugget taken from a mark bell podcast with Chris henshaw. I can’t really explain the whole sciency stuff behind why it works…but the jist of it is that to help improve performance (he has been using this method on crossfitters and it’s worked very well) basically you doing something like the above. He was using time as opposed to reps like I did, but that pattern as you see above you could apply to many different things. It made sense even though I can’t explain it and I want to start implementing it in my training as well. It would be easy to fit in I think. We will see what happens with it.

Alright tomorrow’s my birthday and I been “saving myself” for a sick birthday workout. I still don’t 100% know what way I’m gonna go but I have some solid ideas. I will have it picked out by the time it comes around. One thing for sure…walking lunges need to be a part of it because that’s one of my favourite ways to torture myself.

2 Likes

Happy B day dude!

1 Like

Thanks man!

Happy birthday dude! Liking these new workouts and mindset!

1 Like

Thanks man!

1 Like

Birthday workout :

Buy in :
29 clean and press (essentially grace but one less rep)

Then :
29 dips
29 chins
29 bss / leg
29 push-ups
29 bb rows
29 goblet squats

Buy out :
Lunges x 58 reps (29/leg basically)
Kb swing x 29 reps

Alright so here was my birthday workout. I wanted something revolving around 29 reps for everything, and settled on a CrossFit chipper type thing with a buy in/out. I knew that essentially grace and lunges had to be in there and I also wanted a time cap of 29 min to get it all done. So this workout was what came from that. My time was 27:13. Honestly it was a blast, and it fit the bill nicely. Aside from that, we watched a favourite movie of mine, Die Hard, and my wife made me an amazing cake.

@ChongLordUno @T3hPwnisher

3 Likes

Well done dude!

1 Like

Thanks man!