While We Worry About Iran

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Fitnessdiva wrote:
There sure are a lot of people invoking it for it being obvious.

It’s a fucking discussion. I highly doubt anyone talking about it has their finger on "the button’.

[/quote]

I’m not worried that it will be done, but there are people out there (too many IMO) that think it should be done.

Who the hell contemplated nuking a cell in New York?

Nuking NY is probably what Osama has in mind if his boys take Pakistan.

Which is why we should kill these guys before they can do this.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:

Which is why we should kill these guys before they can do this.[/quote]

Meanwhile, you’re wasting lives, money and time fighting Iraqis whose sole wish is a “free Iraq”.

[quote]imasri wrote:
why is this topic titled islamic bomb and not al-qaeda bomb? What does the religion itself have to do with those evil people?[/quote]

Actually it was Bhenazir Bhutto’s father who originated the idea of an Islamic bomb when he was the leader of Pakistan. What he essentially said was that the Christians have the bomb (America, Russia, France, England), The Buddhists have the bomb (China)the Jews have the bomb (Israel)and the Hindus have the bomb(India). The only major religion that didn’t have the bomb was Islam. So Pakistan needed to develop the bomb so that Islam could have the bomb also. That was the birth of the Pakistani nuclear program.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Gkhan wrote:

Meanwhile, you’re wasting lives, money and time fighting Iraqis whose sole wish is a “free Iraq”.[/quote]

It’ll be free as soon as they get off their collective asses, realize that that is all the US wants as well, and start fucking helping.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
It’ll be free as soon as they get off their collective asses, realize that that is all the US wants as well, and start fucking helping. [/quote]

The US doesn’t want a democratic and sovereign Iraq. It wants a government that does what they tell it to.

Americans troops are not leaving Iraq in our lifetimes. It’s easy to make up excuses. First, it was the WMDs. Then it became the Saddam-9/11 connection. Finally, we’re now told that they’re fighting Al-Qaeda (an organization that wasn’t in the country to start with).

Iraq has always been a part of the GWOT.

As Alan Greenspan says,the Iraq war was all about oil.The rest of it is all smoke and mirrors…

I’m sure Greenspan is THE authority on foreign policy/military strategy.

Most bankers are.

I’m sure that he has access to more information than any punter posting on these forums.
And moves in higher echelons…

I guess my point was that some people will believe anyone - and make them as credible as they need to - to support their personal stances.

I’ll have to go find the speech, and his subsequent explanation - but I think I heard/read somewhere that Greenspan said he was taken out of context wrt the “It’s all about the oil” statement.

I think it was written in his rececently published memoirs.Will also go look for it again,as I’m also curious to see if he did qualify os explain the statement.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I’ll have to go find the speech, and his subsequent explanation - but I think I heard/read somewhere that Greenspan said he was taken out of context wrt the “It’s all about the oil” statement.[/quote]

Oh yeah? Do share. What he wrote is so explicit that I can’t see how it could be taken out of context.

[i]Greenspan’s remarks, appearing first in his just-published memoirs, are eyebrow-raising for their directness:

“Whatever their publicized angst over Saddam Hussein’s ‘weapons of mass destruction,’ American and British authorities were also concerned about violence in the area that harbors a resource indispensable for the functioning of the world economy. I am saddened that it is politically inconvenient to acknowledge what everyone knows: the Iraq war is largely about oil.”

His follow-up remarks have been even more direct. “I thought the issue of weapons of mass destruction as the excuse was utterly beside the point,” he told the Guardian.[/i]

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=15&ItemID=13829

I fail to see why this is news though. He is just one the members of the establishment to state the obvious.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I guess my point was that some people will believe anyone - and make them as credible as they need to - to support their personal stances.

I’ll have to go find the speech, and his subsequent explanation - but I think I heard/read somewhere that Greenspan said he was taken out of context wrt the “It’s all about the oil” statement.

[/quote]

He said something about that oil was fundamental to the strategic decision to go to war. No shit. It was not about stealing oil. It is about rebuilding the mid east so evil men are not in charge of the worlds energy supply.

[quote]Gkhan wrote:

Which is why we should kill these guys before they can do this.[/quote]

Right over your head. Total miss.

[quote]Fitnessdiva wrote:
Gkhan wrote:

Right over your head. Total miss.[/quote]

Yeah, right, you’re just too deep for me. lol.