T Nation

While Nobody's Looking...

Somalia is getting inundated with those peace-loving, freedom fighting islamic insurgents. After all, they aren’t hurting anyone Allah doesn’t decide needs hurtin’. So while everybody’s got their panties in a wad over Iraq, Ethiopia is fighting the insurgents for us. But nobody helps the Ethiopians.
Look for Somalia to be a strong hold for al qaida and friends. I have been watching this for quite a while, yet nobody seems to give shit.
Africa is the next front in the war against islamic tyranny.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7328517.stm

No, we’ve been helping them.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-01-07-ethiopia_x.htm

Granted, $20 million is chump change, but I suspect our under the radar involvement is much larger than has been revealed.

Europe needs to step up.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080404/ap_on_re_af/somalia_pirate_attack_4

Pirates seized control of a French vessel carrying 30 crew members Friday off the coast of Somalia, the French government and the ship’s owner said.

Attackers stormed aboard “Le Ponant” as it returned without passengers from the Seychelles, in the Indian Ocean, toward the Mediterranean Sea, said officials with French maritime transport company CMA-CGM.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Pirates seized control of a French vessel carrying 30 crew members Friday off the coast of Somalia, the French government and the ship’s owner said.

Attackers stormed aboard “Le Ponant” as it returned without passengers from the Seychelles, in the Indian Ocean, toward the Mediterranean Sea, said officials with French maritime transport company CMA-CGM.[/quote]

Somalia has no navy, meaning there’s no government presence on those waters.

This is a perfect example of what Libertarian “Freedom” looks like.

Wouldn’t you agree?

ElbowStrike

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:

Wouldn’t you agree?

ElbowStrike[/quote]

No, that would be anarchy. Libertarian “freedom” would still have laws, courts, police and a military. Big difference.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
ElbowStrike wrote:

Wouldn’t you agree?

ElbowStrike

No, that would be anarchy. Libertarian “freedom” would still have laws, courts, police and a military. Big difference.[/quote]

Many of the supposed libertarians that post here are really angry anarchists.

Europe needs to step up.[/quote]

It would be nice since the threat is actually bigger for them, see as how they are closer.

No ones’ heard of the Janjaweed, Khartoum or Sudan? Africa is no new frontier.

[quote]kroby wrote:
No ones’ heard of the Janjaweed, Khartoum or Sudan? Africa is no new frontier.[/quote]

Yes. But we haven’t had troops on the ground in Sudan like we have in Somalia, and supposedly the Sudanese government is a partner in the war on terror, or some such nonsense. I’d like to see us use the Janjaweed as target practice for our Apache gunships, but that’s not likely to happen.

Zap Branigan wrote:

Attackers stormed aboard “Le Ponant” as it returned without passengers from the Seychelles, in the Indian Ocean, toward the Mediterranean Sea, said officials with French maritime transport company CMA-CGM.

Somalia has no navy, meaning there’s no government presence on those waters.

Wouldn’t you agree?

ElbowStrike[/quote]

That’s what chaos looks like. Libertarianism isn’t “no rules what so ever”. It’s just far, far fewer rules than we currently have. And it’s not no government what so ever, it is a far less intrusive government.

[quote]kroby wrote:
No ones’ heard of the Janjaweed, Khartoum or Sudan? Africa is no new frontier.[/quote]

Yes of course, but they are bogged down in conflict and are primarily concern about that particular region. The current battle is their purpose. In Somalia, it is more a staging point for attacks else where. Both are a huge problem though.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
No, we’ve been helping them.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-01-07-ethiopia_x.htm

Granted, $20 million is chump change, but I suspect our under the radar involvement is much larger than has been revealed. [/quote]

My understanding that we give them a little money, arms and intelligence. We should most definitely step up out support for Ethiopia, they are doing a great service engaging al aqaida in Somalia.

We need to step up and step up big if we want to keep terrorists out of the horn of Africa. They tend to fuck up the regions they exist in, look at Gaza and the West Bank :slight_smile:

I heard our AC-130 Gunships gave them air support during the invasion.

I don’t see why we don’t publicly pump more money and more military aid into this area. The Islamic Fascists would claim this is another American crusade, and would be “martyrs” from Saudi Arabia and elsewhere would have somewhere to go to die besides Iraq. Fewer foreign fighters in Iraq means greater stability, which means we can draw down our involvement in that country and focus our resources on other fronts like Afghanistan, etc.

[quote]pat wrote:
Somalia is getting inundated with those peace-loving, freedom fighting islamic insurgents. After all, they aren’t hurting anyone Allah doesn’t decide needs hurtin’. So while everybody’s got their panties in a wad over Iraq, Ethiopia is fighting the insurgents for us. But nobody helps the Ethiopians.
Look for Somalia to be a strong hold for al qaida and friends. I have been watching this for quite a while, yet nobody seems to give shit.

[/quote]

The Peaceful Inner Strugglers/Misunderstanders of Islam are at it again, huh?

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:
pat wrote:

The Peaceful Inner Strugglers/Misunderstanders of Islam are at it again, huh? [/quote]

Yeah, they kill people in a peaceful way. It’s Allah’s will that they act like a bunch of assholes.

I would say that it sounds like Africa needs to get it’s shit together and defend themselves against an invading force, instead of expecting Europe or the US or NATO or the UN to handle it, but of course that would make me a racist. So let’s send them many more millions of dollars and weapons and peace-keeping forces instead.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
I would say that it sounds like Africa needs to get it’s shit together and defend themselves against an invading force, instead of expecting Europe or the US or NATO or the UN to handle it, but of course that would make me a racist. So let’s send them many more millions of dollars and weapons and peace-keeping forces instead.[/quote]

The only thing we haven’t tried is arming everyone there universally. In Rwanda, where things have calmed down, things are getting back to normal and farmers are starting to grow food to feed everyone again. They’re still unarmed, undefended, and afraid of what will happen if the young men with guns decide to take them up again.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
I would say that it sounds like Africa needs to get it’s shit together and defend themselves against an invading force, instead of expecting Europe or the US or NATO or the UN to handle it, but of course that would make me a racist. So let’s send them many more millions of dollars and weapons and peace-keeping forces instead.[/quote]

Actually that’s been tried I think. Neither the UN nor Europe take the threat of islamic radicalism seriously. Hence, they have little interest in doing anything about it. Africa is fuck up beyond imagination as a general rule, but Ethiopia is doing some good and doing it of their own freewill. In my book that is a gesture that should be rewarded as they may very well prevent or lessen the need for American boots to hit the ground there with a substantial presence. We need to give up the booty for they can prove to be a very useful ally in the region.