T Nation

Which Will Grow Bigger Calves?

between running and riding the bike, which one of those exercises would you say helps growing bigger calves? i am already doing calve exercises at the gym but am wondering if either of the above mentioned exercises is beneficial and might help see better results.

Man, people have a million and two ideas about calf training, and every one of them seems to work for somebody.

Steve Reeves attributed much of his initial calf growth to riding his bike up hills as a youngster. Incline walking and/or running will hit the calves hard as well. However, depending how you’re training in the gym, doing more outside the gym might hinder your growth.

The important question is: In the last month or two, have you been getting any results from the training you’re doing?

On the other hand, consider the pics of cyclists competing in the Tour de France, or any major race, or pics of distance runners.

How mighty did bike riding and running build their calves?

So do not assume that these activities will necessarily build your calves either.

I have always had large calves and when I was younger, I used to walk on my toes all the time…

It may look goofy, but I would say walking on your toes is one of the best ways at stimulating calf growth outside of the gym.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
So do not assume that these activities will necessarily build your calves either.[/quote]

I wasn’t trying to give the impression that biking or running was sufficient for growth, especially on its own. I was just tossing out examples that some people have used either as a part of their training.

But like I said, calf training is quirky because everybody seems to have their own funky method of training them. I know one guy, a small-time competitive bodybuilder, whose only calf training is unweighted standing raises done between sets of bench pressing twice a week. It’s how he times his rest between benching.

The best bet is to try one method at a time for a month or so, and see what you respond best to.

[quote]Philly wrote:
between running and riding the bike, which one of those exercises would you say helps growing bigger calves? i am already doing calve exercises at the gym but am wondering if either of the above mentioned exercises is beneficial and might help see better results.[/quote]

I’d say just worry about what you do in the gym. I mean unless you’re gaining mass at an alarming weight your bw can only provide so much stimulus. Progression in seated and standing calve raises work + stretching is all one needs I think. I do walk on my tippy toes sometimes but it’s more for just stretching and getting some blood flowing to them to relieve some soreness.

I really was replying to a possible underlying assumption of the OP, rather than to what you were saying.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:
So do not assume that these activities will necessarily build your calves either.

I wasn’t trying to give the impression that biking or running was sufficient for growth, especially on its own. I was just tossing out examples that some people have used either as a part of their training.

But like I said, calf training is quirky because everybody seems to have their own funky method of training them. I know one guy, a small-time competitive bodybuilder, whose only calf training is unweighted standing raises done between sets of bench pressing twice a week. It’s how he times his rest between benching.

The best bet is to try one method at a time for a month or so, and see what you respond best to.[/quote]

[quote]Philly wrote:
between running and riding the bike, which one of those exercises would you say helps growing bigger calves? i am already doing calve exercises at the gym but am wondering if either of the above mentioned exercises is beneficial and might help see better results.[/quote]

I’d say running…but only in one of these

http://www.xtreme-athletic-equipment.com/store/pc/home.asp

Read Chad Waterbury’s book. I wouldn’t take absolutely everything to heart, but he gives a good explanation in the first chapter or two why cycling/running isn’t the best way to build your legs.

[quote]BrownTrout wrote:
Read Chad Waterbury’s book. I wouldn’t take absolutely everything to heart, but he gives a good explanation in the first chapter or two why cycling/running isn’t the best way to build your legs. [/quote]

I remember Waterbury stating in one of his articles that calf raises do little other than provide a pump. I believe he stated that jump squats, while not providing a pump, will stimulte calf growth.

Personally, I do not do any direct calf work. Or biceps work. Or triceps work. Squats, deadlifts, chins and dips are the only four exercises I do most of the time. I occasionally do some grip and forearm work-wrist rolling and Ivanko Super Gripper and some rotator cuff work. I have been please with my results, considering the little bit of time I spend training.

[quote]skinnyvinny2713 wrote:
I remember Waterbury stating in one of his articles that calf raises do little other than provide a pump.

[/quote]

Yea ok:/…ya since CW is great at bodybuilding and all. If idiots would stop bouncing their freakin’ calves around like they’re on a pogo stick most people might see some growth.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
skinnyvinny2713 wrote:
I remember Waterbury stating in one of his articles that calf raises do little other than provide a pump.

Yea ok:/…ya since CW is great at bodybuilding and all. If idiots would stop bouncing their freakin’ calves around like they’re on a pogo stick most people might see some growth.
[/quote]

Many people see growth without any direct calf work.

Calves respond as collateral muscle from other leg exercises, at least for me. Guys that I see as calf deficient are the ones that ignore the lower body.

Cycling and running may aid definition more than adding bulk. I have big enough calves right now, I do a comprehensive lower body w/o.

I have no idea what a good size is for calves. My right measures 18" and my left is 17". I had a gunshot wound to my right one some years back and it has been bigger ever since it healed.

BG

thanks guys.

i am 6’5’’ and my calves are pretty damn skinny. I am trying to work them as much as possible but since I am doing spinning twice a week, i am wondering if that might hinder the growth in any way.

i do spinning cause i am trying to get in shape and i also have a bad lower back and cannot do certain exercises.

anyways, i feel as though my calves definitely get some pump from incline walking rather then from riding the bike.

Carlitosway wrote:
skinnyvinny2713 wrote:

Many people see growth without any direct calf work.[/quote]

Yeah and those are usually the people with nice low insertion points+good genetics. I see plenty of big guys who squat n deadlift massive weights and genetically have puny calves. Why? cause if you were born with shitty calves you gotta work alot harder to add size.

Sled dragging on your toes?

BrownTrout wrote:
Read Chad Waterbury’s book. I wouldn’t take absolutely everything to heart, but he gives a good explanation in the first chapter or two why cycling/running isn’t the best way to build your legs.

I remember Waterbury stating in one of his articles that calf raises do little other than provide a pump. I believe he stated that jump squats, while not providing a pump, will stimulte calf growth.
[/quote]

Then why is it I haven’t seen a single bodybuilder with huge calves do this exercise? The people who I HAVE seen with big ass calves (that where not genetically gifted in that department) pushed heavy heavy slag iron on calf presses and not 135lb jump squats.

Why is there a need to come up with novel, ‘cutting edge’ ways of attempting to build size when they seem to be the exact opposite of what was done by the people who have built the most size. It is not complicated to build big ass calves (or any other muscle for that matter). The means are already there and have been for decades.

Use a jump rope. The best functional activity for your calves that won’t run your more than 5 bucks in equipment and can be done anywhere!!!

[quote]Rhino Jockey wrote:
I have always had large calves and when I was younger, I used to walk on my toes all the time…

It may look goofy, but I would say walking on your toes is one of the best ways at stimulating calf growth outside of the gym.[/quote]

There’s 2 people I know of that always walk on their toes. Both have HUGE calves.