Which Type of Rice Is Better?

I cycle carbs, CT’s Carb Cycling Codex is fairly similar to what I do although protein goes down for me on workout days since carbs go WAY up.

[quote]darkstyle wrote:

Chef Lisa Marie:

If I could find Quinoa around here I would love to get it but unfortunately I’m the poor college student who is forced to be cheap,if you know what I mean ha[/quote]

Do you have a health food store where you live?

I know at my health food store up the road they sell quinoa in bulk for like $1/lb.

Also, there are tons of great rices at my health food store that I get in bulk like black rice and red rice. Just something different to try if you have the chance.

I do agree though that white rice is probably the cheapest thing you could possibly eat!

[quote]Chef Lisa Marie wrote:

Quinoa!
[/quote]

I was waiting for someone to mention quinoa. I discovered it about a year ago and haven’t made rice since.

[quote]Chef Lisa Marie wrote:
darkstyle wrote:

Chef Lisa Marie:

If I could find Quinoa around here I would love to get it but unfortunately I’m the poor college student who is forced to be cheap,if you know what I mean ha

Do you have a health food store where you live?

I know at my health food store up the road they sell quinoa in bulk for like $1/lb.

Also, there are tons of great rices at my health food store that I get in bulk like black rice and red rice. Just something different to try if you have the chance.

I do agree though that white rice is probably the cheapest thing you could possibly eat!

[/quote]

Yeah I might be able to find one near the town I go to school in, I’ll have to just Google it (Google finds all!! you cannot hide from Google).

I think I first read about quinoa in a men’s health magazine…don’t hate…participate ha ok anyway and they were saying some really awesome things about it in the bodybuilding terms (I know, who knew! Men’s Health could actually help a bodybuilder).

Any thoughts (anyone) on oatmeal and other types of carbs and timing…timing is what is making/keeping me fat. I also heard that “fruit is the bodybuilder’s worst enemy because of all the sugar” fact/fiction.

I usually have 2-3 cups of white rice per meal and sometimes it adds up to 6 cups of rice a day. Is there any problem with this?

Doesn’t matter. white or brown. Just eat your macro’s and
lift big, simple.

An insulin spike right after a hard workout is hardly an ideal condition for storing fat…

Quinoa : My limit of compromise between nutrition and edibility. I hate that stuff!

Brown rice all the way - wild rice is by far my favorite, but it’s much too expensive.

Would it be better to have a post workout shake consisting of maltodextrin/ plain dextrose, and protein, or should I stick to white rice and 2scps whey protein?

I’ve also read that one should eat slow digesting carbs 1-2 hours w/meal after workout in order to keep insulin sensitivity up and to keep building muscle. Can anyone explain the science behind this?

Hey guys, after a high rep medium weights session, what would be most beneficial here?

Jacket potato (white) and tuna
Brown rice and tuna

or a combination of them both?!

thanks
scott b

I think you guys are sweating way too many minutiae. Fast carbs, fast protein PWO and in the morning, slower stuff everywhere else.

The difference between a potato, some white rice and a glucose shake is going to be negligible imho.

Basmati!

[quote]SGDerek wrote:
I think you guys are sweating way too many minutiae. Fast carbs, fast protein PWO and in the morning, slower stuff everywhere else.

The difference between a potato, some white rice and a glucose shake is going to be negligible imho.[/quote]

I have to disagree with the potato comment. I find that potatoes have a much stronger insulin spike than white rice.

Actually through research they found Brown Rice is the same as white rice as far as spiking the insulin, the additional fibre is nice in Brown rice though but not significant enough to warrant a difference. Go with Quinoa and your insulin response will be much lower and it’s very high protein wise for a grain.