Which Type of Rice Is Better?

Which type of rice is better for you?

1)for building muscle&replenishing glycogen stores after a grueling workout
2) for leaning down?

White rice?

or

Brown rice?

brown rice

But can anyone tell me why it is better, I’ve been studying on insulin levels and I know that white rice spikes your insulin levels which leads to possible increase in fat mass but can anyone tell me the science behind it. I’ve never been satisfied with the answer I always need to know why?

Once you learn the difference between white and brown rice, you’ll have your answer.

Conventional bodybuilding wisdom is that brown rice is better for you since it has not had the bran removed. (outer covering) This tends to make it lower on the glycemic index as well. There was a study done on the insulin index though that showed that white rice had a lower effective insulin load even though it’s higher on the glycemic index.

For sheer nutrition density and less processing I’d have to go with brown rice, but personally I wouldn’t sweat it too much if you’re using white rice instead. (This will be considered heresy by many) If you really want to know, buy yourself a blood sugar tester and do some experimentation.

Brown rice is better simply because it hasn’t been processed like white rice. It still contains it’s natural fiber and whatever minerals.

Fast cooking rice is the worst because it has been overly processed and stripped of all it’s nutrients besides the carbs.

I like this view on the subject a lot:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=59612&tid=140

Revo09, exactly what I was going to post. When you are cycling carbs like Justin does trying to eat 8-10 or more probably cups of brown rice all day might be impossible, so he eats white now. However for overall health and nutrition I would say brown is better.

Thanks guys I really appreciate those of you who really took the time out of your day to help me out and explain to me what makes them so significantly different so to speak, instead of making me out to be an idiot… It means alot to have guys help out a young bodybuilder such as myself.

I think for what I’m trying to do (which is get bigger but slowly melt fat) I’ll stick with the white rice since it absorbs so much faster after an extremely exhausting training session (such as a leg day…)

Since you mentioned that you want to lose some fat, try to limit other alike carbs, such as bread and white potatoes, as they give a big insulin spike.

white rice works well with your 1st post workout meal to keep your insulin spike going but brown is preferred at all other times.

I prefer eating brown rice. Typically some flavor of the Uncle Ben’s Wild stuff… I happen to find it to be delicious and easy on the wallet. Also, after having experiemented with the exact same amount between white and brown/wild, I can honestly say the day after the brown I felt much more “pumped” and had that really full look everyone is after…

[quote]darkstyle wrote:
Which type of rice is better for you?

1)for building muscle&replenishing glycogen stores after a grueling workout
2) for leaning down?

White rice?

or

Brown rice?[/quote]

Quinoa!

http://www.musclewithattitude.com/readTopic.do?id=1747924

[quote]1morerep wrote:
white rice works well with your 1st post workout meal to keep your insulin spike going but brown is preferred at all other times.[/quote]

That makes sense, but how much would I need to stay around to drop a significant amount of fat…I’ve really grown alot sense I added carbs back into my diet and feel better, that low carb stuff really isn’t for me.

How many meals would I need to consume a ??? amount of rice? What is your opinion/ anyone’s opinion on my last meal, like carbs yes/no? fat yes/no? I’m working on getting animal test and some creatine, also possibly animal cuts so I can maybe gain a little while still killing off the fat…

[quote]World1187 wrote:
I prefer eating brown rice. Typically some flavor of the Uncle Ben’s Wild stuff… I happen to find it to be delicious and easy on the wallet. Also, after having experiemented with the exact same amount between white and brown/wild, I can honestly say the day after the brown I felt much more “pumped” and had that really full look everyone is after…[/quote]

Thanks, the price is really want gets me on buying food and supplements, I’ll have to check that stuff out.

Chef Lisa Marie:

If I could find Quinoa around here I would love to get it but unfortunately I’m the poor college student who is forced to be cheap,if you know what I mean ha

Rice is as far as I’ve seen the cheapest form of food around. At SAMs club they have fifty lb bags of white rice for around 12-13 dollars. FIFTY LBS!!!

As a fellow college student rice became my staple carb source simply for that reason, oatmeal and potatoes are cheap as well but rice takes it to a new level. It’s easy to cook up a big batch at once and store it in the fridge for the next few days worth of carbs if you so choose.

Yea that’s what I was thinking since funds seem to stay so freakin low during school anyway. Sweet potatoes are by far my most favorite :wink: I grew up on that shit!

I also have a question on if I should cycle carbs or not? I’ve read articles on bodybuilders doing that and was wondering if that would help with muscle gain & fat loss… Another thing, I put 1 1/2 bananas and a cup or so of strawberries in my shakes, good/bad?

The last few weeks my pre bed meal has been 1 cup low fat cottage cheese, 2-4 tbsp natural peanut butter, 1 banana, 1 scoop of vanilla protein (all mixed together makes an awesome meal before bed) Any thoughts?

[quote]darkstyle wrote:
Another thing, I put 1 1/2 bananas and a cup or so of strawberries in my shakes, good/bad?[/quote]

This will slow protein absorbtion and decrease your gastric emptying rate. Whether or not that is a good thing depends on when/why you’re having the shake. Breakfast or post-post workout that would be bad, as a regular daily meal, or pre-bedtime, that would probably be beneficial. The insulin response would be small, but might be significant if you were on a ketogenic diet.