Which Type Of Lipoic Acid

I’ve seen plan r-ala, potassium r-ala and R-dihydrolipoic Acid by lef. Any suggestions which to use? Thanks

Well Hopefull; Dave Barr will chime in with the specifics but in short unless you are dibetic this supp is Junk and is actually a negative and could do damage.

Sorry Im not read on this and he would have the ins and outs.

DAVE???

[quote]Phill wrote:
unless you are dibetic this supp is Junk and is actually a negative and could do damage.
[/quote]

I disagree. won’t do anything for your lifting, but as a powerful antioxidant, and one of the few ones that works in mitochondria where antioxidants are very much needed (given what mitochondria do) it is a good one to take. Would I bother if I were 20? Nah. But I’m old (45) and take a broad spectrum of antioxidants.

If you buy anything other then plain ala then I’d stick to geronova, AOR or…VRP as suppliers. Geronova KRALA is a good compromise on cost benefit.

I doubt it could be negative, as you already have ala in your body, but it may not be beneficial if you are insulin sensitive, at least in improving sensitivity. There may be some metabolism boosting effects. (Insulin sensitive rats were shown not to increase insulin sensitivity from its use, but there was some apparent fat loss without a change in LBM.)

It is believed to have a similar effect as metformin, a diabetic drug. But I do not believe it has the same half-life though.

The r isomer is way superior to the s isomer, or the racemix commonly sold, and it looks like the s may undo what the r does. I have no knowledge of the different forms you are talking about though.

I know Barr has said taking this supplement is best after working out, with Surge. This is not to affect the insulin boost, but the r-ala will take longer then the Surge to take effect, so the benefits from the r-ala will occur after the boost in insulin. He has also mentioned that research has been done mostly on obese and insulin resistant rats, and diabetic humans.

Being a powerful anti-oxidant may be enough justification in taking this supplement.

The only information I can find on the potassium r-ala are the advertisements. They say that supposedly bonding r-ala to potassium will increase bioavailability.

And the R-dihydrolipoic Acid is supposed to be the reduced form of r-ala, and is supposed to be more powerful. (I wonder if this would negatively affect bioavailability.) I still have not found any serious information, outside of advertising, about this.

Until I learn more I would stick with r-ala.

I want to thank you all for your input.