T Nation

Which Type of Fighting

G’day everyone

Im looking for advice on to which type of fighting would best help me on the street. Let me explain.

Now im not a voilent person at all,very laid back and mellow but if someone goes to hurt me or my family (luckily has not happened) then that would be a different story.

What would u guys reccomend for a fighting style i could train .I have no formal fight training of any kind but i want something to protect myself say if i got into a situation where i could not talk my way out of or if some drunk comes swinging at me.

Now im fairly strong and could manhandle some sack of shit if need be but if i come across someone who is big and can fight then well im pretty screwed.

So what do u reccomend for basic protection on the streets,apart from a gun or knife :confused:
Boxing
Karate
kickboxing
wrestling etc etc

Thanks heaps

HHH

[quote]HHH wrote:
So what do u reccomend for basic protection on the streets,apart from a gun or knife :confused:
Boxing
Karate
kickboxing
wrestling etc etc
[/quote]

1. Pepper spray.
  2. Swift kick to the nuts.
  3. An aura of self-confidence. If people see you and think, “This guy looks like one bad motherf*cker” then they are less likely to mess with you. That doesn’t just mean being big and strong looking, but looking people in the eyes without averting your gaze.

If #3 fails, revert back to #1 and #2… in that order.

Mace? Taser?

Admit it, you just want to learn a martial art to be badass.

boxers are always pretty decent in a fight, becasue they have good timing, are used to hit moving targets and are used to being hit. but that might cut into your lifting goals, though…

for a pure self-defence stanse…i’d say akido. it’s based off of using the attackers’ energy and re-directing it, along with some sweet-ass joint locks. that’s the stuff that Steven Seagal does, minus the crappy acting…

If you really want to protect yourself, you should look into Tim Larkin’s Target Focus Training. Do a search for it on the net. Waterbury and Staley speak highly of his program.

Other than that, Muay Thai, boxing, and wrestling are all good choices. There are other mixed martial arts as well, but maybe someone else can give you information on them (Example: Vale Tudo). Jujitsu, Judo, and Brazillian Jujitsu are effective too. They are grappling arts, and BJJ is mainly groundfighting. The ground is not a place you would want to be in a street fight, so the best thing to do would be hit him hard, fast, and make sure he goes down so you can get away.

Also, make sure you find a GOOD instructor.

Dude,

I would seriously look at doing a combo of boxing and wrestling. Get some good solid, no-bullshit technique down on both of them and you’ll be ahead in the game.

Would def. agree with MASSIF. Get some good stand up and ground fighting, with the two of them combined you cant go wrong.

If You just want to learn martial arts and look good there a plenty of martial arts that will make you look good but if you want to learn how to be warrior and defend yourself and loved ones try googling Yashai Warcrafts or Blaise Loong.
They Have a good website and forum you can find out what raelly works

I wouldn’t bother with BJJ or most MMA schools if you’re looking for ‘self defense.’ They’re great for one on one combat in a controlled environment but in real world situations you rarely find yourself on a padded mat against one guy with a ref there to break things up if you get your sack kicked up into your pelvis.

Krav Maga is pretty good for down and dirty street/bar fights. Aikido is great as is traditional japanese jiu jutsu and to some degree judo as well but these arts all encorporate a great deal more than straigt combat and unless you’re dedicated to learing a complete martial art you might want to focus more on what is effective.

Go with Massif’s suggestion of boxing and some type of wresting or juijitsu. A good greco roman wrestler will beat the snot out of 90% of boxers or traditional marital artists. A quick takedown and some ground and pound and the fights most likely over. Its still good to have a solid foundation in boxing and some takedown defense. BTW, for those of you who have brought up Aikido: Have any of you actually ever seen it used in a street fight? Actually, ive never even seen it used effectively in a mixed martial arts event (im a long time mma fan.) Me and a buddy trained in some Aikido school once. Im no bad ass (just 2yrs of jeet kune do, boxing and shootfighting,) but these guys couldnt block a punch if their life depended on it. They looked great practicing techniques on each other, but when it wasnt choreographed, their techniques went to shit. Anyway, good luck.

Muay Thai. It’s not fancy, it’s effective. You get the boxing skills (the best in close combat, whatever anyone says) and the added elbows; plus the legwork (which you may or may not have a chance to use in a real fight).

I’ve also heard/seen good things about Krav Maga for real-life situations, and would like to try it out when I move to a place with a school.

Oh, and I agree with MentalMuscle, your attitude will go a long way towards avoiding a fight. I’ve never been in a fight, ever; but I’ve been in a few pre-fight situations (always started by the other guy). I’m not big or mean-looking, but I stood my ground, looked the guy in the eyes, and kept my mouth shut. They never made a move.

But you’re right in wanting to get some training, as there’ll always be some idiot who doesn’t understand that just because you don’t want to fight, doesn’t mean you won’t pound his arse if he throws a punch.

All you need is a hard right or left punch. You need to get all the bodyweight you have behind that punch. To maintain this you have to spar (this is number one, you may be able to beat the crap out of a heavy bag, but if you have never attempted to transfer this power to hitting a moving person, you are in for a shock) then regular use of the heavy bag and speed ball.
If all forms of communication have failed and you know fists are going to exchange you want to be the first one to plant one on his chin. If your outnumbered then make sure you are a quick runner! So if i was to recommend one it would be boxing, if you could mix throw in some muay thai, the science of the eight limbs. Although i have been training on and off with Muay for the last eight yers or so, the two ‘street fights’ i have ever had in my life, started and ended with me being able to land a quick right, before the muppets knew what was happening. Good Luck

I started out training in Judo, did some MMA with Dan Severn with his unique combination of greco/sambo and I’m currently studying Sho Bu Do Jiu Jutsu which has a lot in common with Aikido. I’ve found a lot of the JJ very useful in real life situations and much of what we do in this style of JJ is used to some degree in Aikido. I do tend to agree that Aikido classes tend to focus on choreographed excercises rather than practial application.

Most of what we do involves standing joint locks, arm bars and some nasty throws in coordination with a wide variety of striking techniques. Most of our strikes revolve around making an opponent vulnerable to some other soft technique but we do some bag work and a lot of breaking techniques, arms, wrists, fingers etc.

If you’re looking for the best true street self defence, look at Kung Fu San Soo. Most martial arts today are designed to score points in a tournament, KFSS is strictly bad-ass “what if I’m jumped in an alley” self defence. Unfortunatley, there aren’ many schools. If you’re interested PM me, & I’ll try to help you find one near you.

[quote]HHH wrote:
G’day everyone

Im looking for advice on to which type of fighting would best help me on the street. Let me explain.

Now im not a voilent person at all,very laid back and mellow but if someone goes to hurt me or my family (luckily has not happened) then that would be a different story.

What would u guys reccomend for a fighting style i could train .I have no formal fight training of any kind but i want something to protect myself say if i got into a situation where i could not talk my way out of or if some drunk comes swinging at me.

Now im fairly strong and could manhandle some sack of shit if need be but if i come across someone who is big and can fight then well im pretty screwed.

Boxing
Karate
kickboxing
wrestling etc etc

Thanks heaps

HHH
[/quote]
Boxing, I’ll tell you why.
As previosly stated by other members state of mind is really important, if you are confident that you can handle yourself in a phisical confrontation then you will be able to defend yourself better. It’s very important to actually trade heavy blows with your training opponent because it really teached you how to take a blow and learn to respond correctly. Alot of other martial arts don’t train with full contact and in a real fight they are not really sure how they will react to getting hit.
God Bless

[quote]Xvim wrote:
I started out training in Judo, did some MMA with Dan Severn with his unique combination of greco/sambo and I’m currently studying Sho Bu Do Jiu Jutsu which has a lot in common with Aikido. I’ve found a lot of the JJ very useful in real life situations and much of what we do in this style of JJ is used to some degree in Aikido. I do tend to agree that Aikido classes tend to focus on choreographed excercises rather than practial application.

Most of what we do involves standing joint locks, arm bars and some nasty throws in coordination with a wide variety of striking techniques. Most of our strikes revolve around making an opponent vulnerable to some other soft technique but we do some bag work and a lot of breaking techniques, arms, wrists, fingers etc.[/quote]

No offense but that stuff dosent work if your opponent is alot bigger than you. I’m in law inforcement and have been trained in all that stuff but for the most part it dosent work. A fellow officer is a black belt in judo and he cannot throw me around, he’s tryed I’m 6’4 240 pounds and hes 6’ 180. It just dosent work.

Also when fighting on the street all that ground fighting isn’t going to last long because pavement isn’t a soft mat and even if your on top you knee’s will be hamberger if not need sergery. Sure once you have a arm or rist lock your opponent will relent but good luck getting to that point.
something to think about
God bless

[quote]AllBizNiz wrote:
Go with Massif’s suggestion of boxing and some type of wresting or juijitsu. A good greco roman wrestler will beat the snot out of 90% of boxers or traditional marital artists. A quick takedown and some ground and pound and the fights most likely over. Its still good to have a solid foundation in boxing and some takedown defense. BTW, for those of you who have brought up Aikido: Have any of you actually ever seen it used in a street fight? Actually, ive never even seen it used effectively in a mixed martial arts event (im a long time mma fan.) Me and a buddy trained in some Aikido school once. Im no bad ass (just 2yrs of jeet kune do, boxing and shootfighting,) but these guys couldnt block a punch if their life depended on it. They looked great practicing techniques on each other, but when it wasnt choreographed, their techniques went to shit. Anyway, good luck.[/quote]

i disagree with your stance on wrestler v. boxers…a lot of people say this because there haven’t been any real boxing champs in MMA yet. why? well they $1 million to box, or $100 k for a year for MMA…you do the math.

MMA competitions are not the littmus test for fighting systems…i’ve said this before (and i’m sure i’ll say it again), IF YOU CAN’T FIGHT STANDING UP THEN YOU DON’T NEED TO LEARN TO FIGHT ON THE GROUND! that being said, i stand corrected based off of your akido experience…much of what GoodKnight
and my fellow law enforecement officers learn is akido-based joint locks. i just presumed that the formal instruction was better…

i guess a better question at this point for HHH is how much time to you plan on devoting to training? i used to compete in Muay Thai, but i think you pretty much gotta give your body to that sport-it’s just too demanding (as well as other full contact). you probably need to assess how much time and effort you want to put into it, and then find narrow it down from there…

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Muay Thai. It’s not fancy, it’s effective. You get the boxing skills (the best in close combat, whatever anyone says) and the added elbows; plus the legwork (which you may or may not have a chance to use in a real fight).

[/quote]

Agreed. Muay Thai is the way to go.

Gunfighting is generally speaking the most effective. :wink:

But seriously, the natural weapons of the human body are not very good and require a great amount of work to develop. Carry some kind of weapon (as far as legally and practically possible) and practice with it if you’re serious about defense.