Which Supplement Should I Use?

Hey everyone:)

I’ve been working out consistently for about 7 months now.

About my athletic?? background:

-Football(soccer) and basketball between the ages of 10-16(started smoking after that)

-Lifting a month or two a year(for the past 10 years)

I’m 26 years old and my height is 1.81cm(about 5’10-11) and in May I weighed 100kg(220lbs) with 29.4% body fat. Three months later in August I weighed 85kg(187lbs) with 18.8% body fat. Now I currently weigh 80.5kg(177lbs) don’t know the body fat but I’m sure it’s lower.

My program is nowhere professionally supervised but it’s quite efficient. 4-6 days a week. Mon-Thurs: Chest/Biceps Tue-Fri: Back/Triceps Wed-Sat:Shoulders. I do about 100-150 sit ups everyday before the workout. I attend Tae-Bo(rhythmic jumpin’ around kicking and punching air type of thing)classes 2-3 times a week.

My diet is quite similar to my work out program but again it’s efficient and I suppose it has a scientific side to it. Basically I’ve been eating less and well. The only scientific side of it is the carbohydrate-protein separation. According to a research by a nobel award winning Russian scientist it’s healthier to separate carbs and proteins in your meals. Meaning, don’t eat pasta/rice/potatoes/bread…etc with meat/eggs…etc Veggies are the neutral group and can be eaten with both groups.

Wish I had an article about his research but I’ll write what I remember about the details. Ä°f I remember correctly, this dude placed a camera in a dog’s stomach and observed how it digests… When he fed it with carbs it took about 3-4 hours to digest. later when he fed it protein, it took more or less the same to digest but when he fed it carbs and proteins together the digestion time doubled. When I first heard about this, I was a bit sceptical thinking that it’s another one of those ‘‘new trend’’ diets. Until I heard a professional soccer players interview(Emre Belozoglu-Inter) who was playing for INTER FC(one of the great clubs in European Football).

He said that they apply the same diet to the players(at the time including Ronaldo, Vieri, Cannavaro…etc). That kind of had me convinced cause INTER is a billion dollar team and I’m sure they know something.

Anyhow, Since September I’ve been taking fish oil and I added CLA to it a month ago. I also take a 1500mb tube of Multipower L-carnitine(liquid) before Tae-bo.

September: Fish oil (one softgel a day)
October: Fish oil (2 softgels a day)
November: Fish oil and CLA(800mg) (3 softgels of each)

I’m working hard to drop to 78kg(171lbs) and after that I wanna gain muscle and have the best body possible. I don’t want to enter competitions but I wanna look my best. (6 pack abs…etc)

I’ve been advised to take Whey protein but some told me to take Amino Acids instead. By the way, I’ve lost weight but I still have some extra skin smiling around my waist. I’m sure that it’ll disappear in time with hard work but should I continue to use fish oil and CLA or any other fat-burner?

Should I take protein or Amino Acids? or some other supplement?

How long do I have to be on supplements?

Is there such thing as a supplement-free natural work-out?

I think I gotta post another topic about my program. I still use the ‘‘3/12 with 20sec breaks between reps’’ that I learned in a Jersey neighborhood gym 8 years ago… I’ve been doing that ever since and wherever I’ve been to.

Thanks a million in advance, I’d really appreciate it if I can get your opinion on my work-out program, diet and especially the supplements.

I don’t have before pic but I’ll post whatever I can find without a shirt to give u an idea of what I’ve done with my body along with new ones(I’ll take some photos ASAP)

Thanks again:)

Supplements are just that, supplements. They supplement a quality diet and training routine.

You don’t seem to have either. So don’t buy any supplements yet.

You need to train legs.
You need to read about nutrition. (Berardi)
There is nothing wrong with eating carbs and protein together (PWO you want carbs and protein, fast digesting versions of both)

Go read and educate yourself.

Also, post your current training and diet (detailed).

[quote]Former Fat Boy wrote:
Hey everyone:)

My diet is quite similar to my work out program but again it’s efficient and I suppose it has a scientific side to it. Basically I’ve been eating less and well. The only scientific side of it is the carbohydrate-protein separation. According to a research by a nobel award winning Russian scientist it’s healthier to separate carbs and proteins in your meals. Meaning, don’t eat pasta/rice/potatoes/bread…etc with meat/eggs…etc Veggies are the neutral group and can be eaten with both groups.

I’ve been advised to take Whey protein but some told me to take Amino Acids instead. By the way, I’ve lost weight but I still have some extra skin smiling around my waist. I’m sure that it’ll disappear in time with hard work but should I continue to use fish oil and CLA or any other fat-burner?

Should I take protein or Amino Acids? or some other supplement?[/quote]

Metabolic Drive is good. More fish oil, maybe creatine.

How long do I have to be on supplements?[/quote]
Forever, no I’m just kidding. As long as you want.

Is there such thing as a supplement-free natural work-out?[/quote]
This is a silly question, of course there is.

Your concept of supplements seems badly distorted. They are not steroids nor will they not magically make you huge and strong. Supplements are supplemental, and by definition are not necessary. Again you don’t cycle supplements as you don’t cycle working out. To say you shouldn’t hit your workout goal then throw away the weights. Most people take supplements their entire life. They generally improve health and well being.

"How long do I have to be on supplements?

Is there such thing as a supplement-free natural work-out?"

I hope your not serious.

Do not pass go. Do not collect $500. DO NOT worry about supplements… Go DIRECTLY to the beginners forum and read all the articles linked in the top sticky posts.

Seriously. You are either grossly mis-informed or a troll looking for a laugh here. I don’t have time to refute all the nonsense you’ve posted:

8 years doing the same routine?
No lower body work?
Carbs and protein together are bad???
20 second rest between REPS?!?

If you’re not a troll and are serious about improving your body composition, strength, health, etc… Then congratulations! You have come to the right place. The resources available here WILL put you on the right track. Start studying and apply what you learn.

All the comments I’ve made are to give you an idea of why I think what I think. So, just in case I’m terribly wrong, u can understand why. I’m not trying to prove a point… ‘‘Such and such is what I’ve heard, this and that is what I’m doing, all of this led me to think this… Am I right or wrong? what do you guys think? What should I do?’’

I didn’t say carbs n proteins are bad together. Just heard of a diet that suggested it’s healthier. That doesn’t mean I’m saying the rest of the diets are bad. Just searching for opinions.

Don’t have anything against supplements either, I’ve only been following this site for a couple of months and almost every advice includes a supplement and therefore It seems to be a stable part of this lifestyle. Wanted to know if I have to take those as long as I lift. I’m really enthusiastic about lifting and I wanna do it right. Whatever it takes…

About the 20 sec. rests between SETS not reps(Sorry bout that); I heard that when you’re lifting the blood pumps to the muscle that you’re working out and it’s more efficient if you don’t wait too long before the next set and lift while most of the blood is already there. Don’t know whether that’s right or wrong but it’s tiring.

Looking at your replies and pretty much everything else on the site, I take it I gotta hit the beginners forum and start from scratch.

Thank you for your comments, appreciate 'em.

Best of luck:)

Don’t have anything against supplements either, I’ve only been following this site for a couple of months and almost every advice includes a supplement and therefore It seems to be a stable part of this lifestyle.[/quote]

Well, understand that the articles here are written and read by people that, for the most part, have the diets and exercise aspects of their lives down pat. So, when an author mentions a supplement in an article, they are saying that it will ADD TO one’s diet or program (hence the name “supplement”).

As said before, you need to work out your legs. It’s a highly anabolic group of muscles that you NEED to work out. You’ll add size and strength to all your muscles, it’s THAT important.

Here are some article suggestions:

Nutrition for Newbies, Part 1
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1793585

Nutrition for Newbies, Part 2
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1795045

Training for Newbies, Part 1
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1764218

Training for Newbies, Part 2
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1765943

Don’t be fooled by the “newbie” moniker. I read these articles and learned a thing or five about training and dieting, and I’ve been working out for over 3 years.

Padilla, thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it. Those are some really educating articles…

If anyone has any other article suggestions, please fire away.

Thanks again:)

You still haven’t posted your detailed diet and training. post it, we can help.

Dear PozzSka;

I’m gonna get to that. Not only my diet and my program but with pics and the whole nine. and lots of questions…:slight_smile:

I’m still reading some articles and it’s quite disappointing to see that I’ve been missing out on some really useful info.

It’s also a great feeling to have encountered T-Nation cause I’m double hyped about the whole thing as if I just started lifting.

This site is a gold mine for someone as inquisitive as I am…

Thank you:)

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Do not pass go. Do not collect $500. [/quote]

silly boy, its $200…improve your gaming skills!