T Nation

Which PT Cert to Get?

Hopefully this is the right section but I was just wondering what you guys have to say about the different personal training certifications out there and if there's anything I should know before starting a study program? I did some research and I think ACE is best for me. Any suggestions or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

IF you have your Bachelors Degree in Anything, I would only get the CSCS !
IT is by far the toughest and most prestigious of the training certs, and has a high
first pass Fail Rate (80+%). It is that serious and that well thought out.

The Ace has about a 90% pass rate for the first time tester.
Not thought of to highly though…

Working 24Hrs of La CrapFat ? get an Ace.
Working for someone/ something legitimate…get the CSCS.

Thanks for your input it was helpful!

[quote]killerDIRK wrote:
IF you have your Bachelors Degree in Anything, I would only get the CSCS !
IT is by far the toughest and most prestigious of the training certs, and has a high
first pass Fail Rate (80+%). It is that serious and that well thought out.

The Ace has about a 90% pass rate for the first time tester.
Not thought of to highly though…

Working 24Hrs of La CrapFat ? get an Ace.
Working for someone/ something legitimate…get the CSCS.

[/quote]

He could also start with a regular NSCS PT certification, it’s the same organization that does the CSCS, and is a good middle ground in terms of difficulty and prestige before trying for the CSCS.
I got my NSCA PT cert when I turned 18 with zero studies(only reading TNATION articles back in the day) and passed easily. After I finished undergrad, I had enough experience and follow up self-education to pass CSCS the first time(though just barely).

Can I do nscs with no degree? I don’t have one, but I also read articles religiously

This:
http://www.nsca.com/Certification/CPT/

Thank you!

[quote]cdh3087 wrote:
Can I do nscs with no degree? I don’t have one, but I also read articles religiously [/quote]
Yeah, not sure most organizations will accept “I read lots of articles” as a pre-requisite.

Still, make sure you give these a read:

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]cdh3087 wrote:
Can I do nscs with no degree? I don’t have one, but I also read articles religiously [/quote]
Yeah, not sure most organizations will accept “I read lots of articles” as a pre-requisite.

Still, make sure you give these a read:

[/quote]

Reading T-Nation Articles back in 2003-2008 every day was enough for me to pass the NSCA CPT with zero preparation.
The fantastic series CT did called training for newbies and nutrition for newbies plus all of the correctional exercise stuff like the neanderthal no more series by itself would make you more knowledgeable than 90% of ACE certified trainers.
T-Nation was different back in the day and reading the early contributions of the T-Nation greats is a fantastic place to start.

My university was affiliated with ACE, and to work as a trainer there I had to get certified through ACE.

I was a Business major and had no problem passing with no ACE study material, just an illegally downloaded NASM textbook. FOR THE MOST PART the certification you choose does not matter if you plan on being a “self-employed” trainer.

Not saying it’s good enough to be a prerequisite, just saying that I do it as well.