T Nation

Which Preworkout Strategy Do You Use?

1) Training on empty stomach with preworkout booster and BCAA
2) Training on empty stomach with BCAA and caffeine pill
3) Eat light meal such as banana, whey and coffee and wait for 30 minutes, then drink preworkout booster before training in another 30 minutes.
4) Eat moderate/heavy meal with coffee and wait for 1 hour, then drink preworkout booster before training in 30 minutes.

Which one do you prefer?

I prefer no pre-workout anything.
I think if you need something to amp you for training that’s a bit of a bummer. Aren’t you keen?
I just don’t really see the point. I get the explanations for it but it makes me think - what are you going to do the day you don’t have your sups?

If I train first thing in the morning I will train with only coffee and BCAAs. I would of have more than likely consumed carbs for dinner the night before though.

If I train in the evening I like to have a light P+C meal about an hour before training, usually tuna and rice.

tweet

Coffee and a big meal for me, I go well on a full stomach and since I’m in the gym for 2.5-3 hours I need to not get hangry

[quote]CrushKillDestroy wrote:
I think if you need something to amp you for training that’s a bit of a bummer. Aren’t you keen?
I just don’t really see the point. I get the explanations for it but it makes me think - what are you going to do the day you don’t have your sups? [/quote]

My thoughts exactly. The sheer fact I am able to train is motivation enough for me to be able to train as hard as I can. If I am really dragging, I’ll hit the nose tork.

[quote]CrushKillDestroy wrote:
I just don’t really see the point. I get the explanations for it but it makes me think - what are you going to do the day you don’t have your sups? [/quote]

Caffeine is an actual performance enhancer. As in, it makes calcium more available and thus improves the ability of muscle to contract forcefully. So that’s why you use it.

To answer your question, you make do without it for a day, then don’t forget it next time.

[quote]t888 wrote:

1. Training on empty stomach with preworkout booster and BCAA
  2. Training on empty stomach with BCAA and caffeine pill
  3. Eat light meal such as banana, whey and coffee and wait for 30 minutes, then drink preworkout booster before training in another 30 minutes.
  4. Eat moderate/heavy meal with coffee and wait for 1 hour, then drink preworkout booster before training in 30 minutes.

Which one do you prefer?[/quote]
I don’t worry about any of that. Every day before I lift, I swing by the gas station and buy myself a blue Rockstar energy drink and a bag of giant nerds candy. Job done.

[quote]theBird wrote:
If I train first thing in the morning I will train with only coffee and BCAAs. I would of have more than likely consumed carbs for dinner the night before though.

If I train in the evening I like to have a light P+C meal about an hour before training, usually tuna and rice.

tweet[/quote]

this for me as well. Waking up early I can usually hit the weights fine sans carbs, just a little pro+coffee.

In the evening after a long day of work though I’ve found some carbs usually help a little with performance.

[quote]Spidey22 wrote:

[quote]theBird wrote:

tweet[/quote]

this for me as well. Waking up early I can usually hit the weights fine sans carbs, just a little pro+coffee.

In the evening after a long day of work though I’ve found some carbs usually help a little with performance. [/quote]

ya, I’m in this camp as well.

I train first thing in the morning.

About 20 minutes before training:

Double Espresso
BCAAs and/or casein hydro (usually this will include the beta-alanine and additional pump factors)
40ish grams of carb powder - just enough to spark up the carb utilization pathways

Generally lift in the afternoon so have eaten breakfast and lunch, but feel best on a semi-empty stomach so that’s 2&1/2-3+ hours after lunch. Take my preworkout and I’m good. It’s crazy to me that people can lift while drinking peri-workout drinks, or 30-60 minutes after a meal. Every time I’ve tried I felt like shit.

[quote]Serge A. Storms wrote:

Double Espresso
BCAAs and/or casein hydro (usually this will include the beta-alanine and additional pump factors)
40ish grams of carb powder - just enough to spark up the carb utilization pathways

[/quote]

What’s the reasoning behind casein 20 min pre? It’s my understanding casein has a slower absorption profile.

[quote]MinotaurXXX wrote:

[quote]Serge A. Storms wrote:

Double Espresso

[/quote]

What’s the reasoning behind casein 20 min pre? It’s my understanding casein has a slower absorption profile.[/quote]

Don’t want to speak for someone else, but hydrolyzed casein (casein hydro) is pre-broken down (i.e. hydrolyzed) to its constituent peptides, so it is digested and absorbed very quickly. Although regular casein protein breaks down and is absorbed slowly, hydrolyzed casein is not.

^Yep, it’s the hydro, bro.

I feel like when you combine a quick-hitting protein like MAG-10 with just enough carbs and, very importantly, lots of hydration factors, the pump during the workout and even well after the workout is enhanced.

I think the quick protein spike really helps with pump and vascularity. It probably has something to do how a large percentage of these proteins are absorbed at the splanchic bed, where there is a high concentration of alpha-atrial natriuretic peptide (ANP). ANP is involved in the regulation of blood plasma volume.

^^^TrevorLPT and Serge A. Storms thanks for the clarification.

Trolli eggs or sour patch kids and a white monster

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Generally lift in the afternoon so have eaten breakfast and lunch, but feel best on a semi-empty stomach so that’s 2&1/2-3+ hours after lunch. Take my preworkout and I’m good. It’s crazy to me that people can lift while drinking peri-workout drinks, or 30-60 minutes after a meal. Every time I’ve tried I felt like shit.[/quote]

Same here. Strictly speaking, I feel best when I lift two to four hours after a LIGHT meal, but that’s rarely the case.
Also…

i lift during my lunch hour so by that time I already have 2 P+F meals in me. The 2nd meal is around 10:30-11am and then I lift at 12 or 12:30. I take a caffeine pill on the way to the gym and once I start lifting I sip on 50-100g of carbs (depends on the workout) and 20g pepto.

I prefer to train at the tail end of an 18 hour fast, with Bullnox pre-workout drink mix. I’ve recently had some of my best pumps while training in a fasted state.

If it’s a work day, I train early on an empty stomach as soon as I wake up. A day off from work, I train about an hour or two after a light breakfast.

In the chance I have to lift after my 12 hour shifts, I usually eat whatever I can get my hands on at work. Dinner would have been about 5 hours prior to the work out so about two hours before end of the shift, I’ll down a shake and have a cookie. Probably not the best but it’s usually all that I can get my hands on.

I normally don’t drink coffee and avoid pre-workout stimulants.