Which Powerlifting Fed To Join?

I have been training as a powerlifter for a very long time, and am finally ready to compete in an official contest. Which powerlifting organization would you recommend on the basis of (in decreasing order of personal importance):

1. Competitiveness
  2. Drug-tested
  3. Availability of local contests
  4. Strict allowance of equipment (I would prefer to compete raw, but I understand this may not be feasible).

Your input is appreciated!

I’d say #3 is your main driver…lift in the organization that hosts / supports the most meets in your area.

In regards to #1…if your just starting out YOU are your biggest competion right now. If you continue to focus on improving on your own goals you always win.

#2 Drug testing is pretty much a joke at the state level. Some guys use and slip under and some don’t…again, just focus on your own lifting

#4…no fed I know of bans raw lifting. many don’t have a raw class but that shouldn’t stop you from lifting raw if that’s what you prefer. If a guy in a shirt out benches you by 80lbs but you put 20lbs on your raw personal best that day you still win.

Just have fun and keep improving from meet to meet.

Hope this helps

1. Competitiveness
  2. Drug-tested
  4. Strict allowance of equipment (I would prefer to compete raw, but I understand this may not be feasible).

Yes #3 is the most important. I’ve competed in every federation that has ever held a meet within my location. So far NASA, USAPL, WABDL and AAPF.

Great post above see which fed does the most in your area

Here you can search by state

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/

Id say by those standard look for 100% RAW which you may luck out in NC then USAPL

Phill

USAPL is probably the easiest to get into, since equipment isn’t as heavy. You can start raw and still be competitive, and then work your way into single ply gear and from there decide where you want to go.

If you’re really gung-ho about competing with drug-tested lifters and limited gear, USAPL may be your best bet. I believe that there a few USAPL meets each year in SC, NC, and GA. That said, consider the strictness of USPAL judging in your meet preparation- i.e. assume that every arcane rule in the book will be applied.

I remember doing a state-level USAPL meet where there were several guys new to competing. They were all astonished by the great number of ways that one can get a fairly decent, non-record attempting lift turned down by a couple USAPL judges. (Actually, some of it surprised me too.)

Also, if you don’t care about how you stack up to everyone else, keep in mind that you can lift drug and gear free in any fed you want. Most APF/AAPF state meets ususally have at least one guy who lifts in a singlet.

Agreed on #3. geography really is going to be a big factor as a lot of feds tend to be very regional in nature. As a beginner and as someone looking to compete raw you should try aau or uspl. They both tend to be spread out across the nation, each has raw division (the aau more so) and are drug tested and the competition is pretty healthy.

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:
I have been training as a powerlifter for a very long time, and am finally ready to compete in an official contest. Which powerlifting organization would you recommend on the basis of (in decreasing order of personal importance):

1. Competitiveness
  2. Drug-tested

Your input is appreciated![/quote]

To me the most important is availability of meets. It really make sit expensive when you have to drive a few hyndred miles and get a hotel.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

To me the most important is availability of meets. It really make sit expensive when you have to drive a few hyndred miles and get a hotel.

[/quote]

I agree, but sometimes you can get a good deal with a hotel if the organization sets it up so you get a discount if you say you’re there for that particular meet.

I was very close to flying to FL for a RAW meet championships.

Here’s there schedule:
www.rawpowerlifting.com/upcome.htm