Which Part You Wanted to Improve?

Finally got around to signing up. I’ve been lifting for about 3 years now, and I’m starting to look how I want. I was looking back at my journal from when I started, and it’s interesting to see what I wanted back then, compared to what I want now. Back then, my list of targets was:

1. great abs
  2. good biceps
  3. good shoulders

Now I’m more interested in improving my core lifts, and getting a ‘balanced’ look. I’m curious about whether we all start the same way tho - what parts of your body did you want to improve when you started? How has that changed after lifting for some time?

Hey, I started “lifting” when I was about 16. I started to improve my chest cause I had moobs and got laughed at lots by girls.

Now I train for totaly different reasons.

I’m not even strong to be honest, but lifting is like a moving meditation and it gets me centred. Also I just really enjoy it.

[quote]tbaichak wrote:
I’m curious about whether we all start the same way tho - what parts of your body did you want to improve when you started? How has that changed after lifting for some time?[/quote]
I was 16 or 17, 6’2", 170 pounds, and I had gotten called “lanky” by three different people over the course of two weeks, so I decided to put on some size and fill out.

I went from that, to training to improve my martial arts, to training for “general fitness”, to training to improve my paintball game, to today where I’m doing a lot of experimenting and playing around again.

Then:
I wanted to de-cleat someone in high school football.

Now:
I want to be able to tell my grandkids about it:)

i Wanted great abbs but as i got older i started getting into parkour and i wanted to just be fast and strong. Then at 19 i decided i just wanted to be brutally strong. Been lifting for that reason for a year and 3 months now.

I wanted to kick ass, to be fast, strong, and agile. And believe it or not (aside from all the calisthenics from before) the first training I did consistently was glute activation from an article by Contreras, haha. So to answer your question, my glutes.

I still want to kick ass, though my interpretation of that has changed a little. Now I want to be crazy strong and crazy powerful. like synergy.

I was jumped and robbed in a park by a group of thugs in my neighborhood. I couldn’t stand the fact that I was unable to defend myself, so I signed myself up for the football team.

I’ve only had one guy try to fight me since then, he was drunk and got himself choked out.

Now I train for athletics.

EDIT: should have made myself more clear. My goals then were to be big and strong, and they still are lol.

I was jumped and robbed in a park by a group of thugs in my neighborhood. I couldn’t stand the fact that I was unable to defend myself, so I signed myself up for the football team.

…what?

[quote]legendaryblaze wrote:

…what?[/quote]

I should’ve made myself more clear. This incident is what got me interested in lifting, because I looked at the guys on the football team and they were big and strong and nobody would mess with them. Since football was really the only outlet for lifting, I joined the team.

Back then I really had very little interest in actually playing football, I just wanted to lift. I remember being upset when spring practice started because I had to put on pads and play instead of lifting.