T Nation

Which of These Diets Makes Sense?

Hey guys. Im an olympic weightlifter and I want to gain some weight. some where in the range of 5-7lbs. Doesnt have to be super quick or anything, but obviously mostly lean mass of course.

I have talked to 2 people who I trust and are smart about nutrition/performance.

Both plans use carb cycling to a degree.

The first is to have no carbs all day, except for natural whole food carbs in the post workout meal, in the form of yams, quinoa, rice etc…
I would go 2 weeks with having carbs post workout and then go to 2 weeks of having just trace carbs, and then back to the carbs PWO and so on…

the other plan would have me on trace carbs for 3 days and then on the 4th, i would have 50g of fast carbs in my PWO shake and another 50-80 in my PWO meal in yams, quinoa etc…

Which plan sounds better?

I understand that It probably wont matter tooo much in the long run, but still looking for opinions.

Thanks!

majoring in the minors here

Whichever one you’re more comfortable with. The best diet is always the one you’re able to stick to. With that said I don’t like the look of either, I don’t see why you would need to cycle carbs when looking to put on some size, seems like a way of overcomplicating things for no major benifit. But if you’re happy with both plans then I refer back to my original point, whichever one is a better fit for you.

[quote]dre1986 wrote:
Whichever one you’re more comfortable with. The best diet is always the one you’re able to stick to. With that said I don’t like the look of either, I don’t see why you would need to cycle carbs when looking to put on some size, seems like a way of overcomplicating things for no major benifit. But if you’re happy with both plans then I refer back to my original point, whichever one is a better fit for you. [/quote]

thanks for your input, i think the one where i have carbs every 3-4 days is more versatile as i can have high quality carbs on the days i have more time to cook them as opposed to a plan where i need carbs every night and may be more likely to turn to lower quality sources.

U dont seem to like the idea of carb cycling for mass gain, would YOU just recommend adding carbs and calories over all and being consistent with that each day?

why would you have any no carb/very low carb days if trying to gain weight

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
why would you have any no carb/very low carb days if trying to gain weight[/quote]

well as an olympic lifter, my volume and time under tension is FAR less then what serious body builders do.

Its my understanding that because of that we don’t require nearly as much glycogen replenishment.
Also, about a year ago, i was almost 20% bodyfat. Im quit a bit leaner then that now, but im still not “ripped” so i doubt my insulin sensitivity is phenomenal.

TORK

As an olympic lifter I know how you feel. We cannot have the same carb intake like regular BBers since volume, TUT, and number of reps (singles/doubles) can be ridiculously low. For example, let’s say a workout revolves around doing a heavy double on the snatch from low blocks… you really don’t need many carbs, do you?

This is what I recommend (and what I’ve been doing lately)… It’s quite simple. I basically eat paleo-type (w/ fruit at breakfast) meals all day, but do two things differently:

1. I increase carbs before-and-during my workout… I have one Finibar 60 mins prior to lifting, and 2 scoops of SWF.

2. I use cheat meals whenever I want basically (this is your way to gain weight). I limit it to 45 minutes. If I want to gain weight (which is rare), I’ll increase the number of cheat meals per week and basically go by the weight scale. If I want to lose weight, I won’t have any cheat meals and again, go by the weight scale.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
TORK

As an olympic lifter I know how you feel. We cannot have the same carb intake like regular BBers since volume, TUT, and number of reps (singles/doubles) can be ridiculously low. For example, let’s say a workout revolves around doing a heavy double on the snatch from low blocks… you really don’t need many carbs, do you?

This is what I recommend (and what I’ve been doing lately)… It’s quite simple. I basically eat paleo-type (w/ fruit at breakfast) meals all day, but do two things differently:

1. I increase carbs before-and-during my workout… I have one Finibar 60 mins prior to lifting, and 2 scoops of SWF.

2. I use cheat meals whenever I want basically (this is your way to gain weight). I limit it to 45 minutes. If I want to gain weight (which is rare), I’ll increase the number of cheat meals per week and basically go by the weight scale. If I want to lose weight, I won’t have any cheat meals and again, go by the weight scale.[/quote]

thanks very much for your input :slight_smile: