Which Muscles to Focus On During Eccentric Portion of a Lift?

Hey CT,

should you focus on the agonist or antagonist while doing slow eccentrics (meaning focussing on pulling or yielding)? As examples: Squat → Hams or Quads and Glutes / Bench → Biceps & Back or Triceps & Chest

Would appreciate an answer. Either way I hope you & your family are doing good and that your wife´s pregnancy is going well.

Not CT, but it is the same muscle that is performing the concentric or eccentric contraction in a movement. Meaning when you’re doing a bench press and are lowering the weight, your triceps are contracting eccentrically, then concentrically when pressing up. It is not your biceps that are contracting concentrically during the descent.

IE → focus on the agonist.

1 Like

Correct. Focus on the muscle(s) that did the work during the concentric part

2 Likes

Thanks!

Always did my reps that way, but recently read in an article that you should focus on pulling down with your harmstrings while squatting to mimic a jump, which should lead to a higher carryover to athletic actions. After reading your answer I realized it doesnt make sense to think that way, because you dont pull your BW down like in a jump, but press against a weight pulling you down.
Appreciate you taking the time to answer. Have a nice week and stay healthy :+1:

Edit: Just saw that you answered too. Appreciate you taking the time too.

1 Like