T Nation

Which Martial Arts?

Hello,

I want to learn some martial arts this summer. I’ve never done it before. My options are:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Judo
Kung Fu
Muay Thai

These are the classes offered by my univeristy and i’d prefer to stay here. They are one month long courses and the classes are 2 hours long, twice a week.

My goal is to kick ass basically

I would probably recommend brazilian jiu jitsu. Either that or muay thai or judo. You are probably not going to be able to kick everyones ass by the end of the summer unless you are like 250 pounds of muscle. Brazilian jiu jitsu is fun.

You can probably spar a lot harder with judo or jiu jitsu than in muay thai or kung fu. I don’t imagine that you would throw elbows or knees at your opponent at full force in your university.

-Muay Thai
-BJJ
-Judo (matters if they teach techniques w/o the Gi)

:slight_smile:

I’d do BJJ then Muay Thai.

Search function.

Try them all and pick the one you like best

[quote]JH wrote:
Try them all and pick the one you like best[/quote]

Give this man a prize.

Putting together the letters to construct the words “Muay Thai” or “Judo” doesn’t magically transform the teaching of an art into the greatest quality. Every teacher is different, in terms of quality and teaching style. Some guy could be teaching the “greatest” style on earth, but if he’s a horrible teacher, you will gain nothing from it.

On the other hand, someone could be teaching a “bad” art, but if he’s a good teacher, he will make it work for you and you will gain a lot more from it.

Take them all, find the best teacher, and from there you will know which art to take.

Amazingly, this topic has never been discussed before.

I’m partial to Wing Chun Kung Fu. It’s been proven to be the best.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Amazingly, this topic has never been discussed before.

I’m partial to Wing Chun Kung Fu. It’s been proven to be the best.[/quote]

In what venue, where and win? The last time I saw a WC dude fight, he got his face re-arranged by Dwane Ludwig.

Ving Tsun is fantastic indeed. But most sulist styles of kung are too, granted that are teached correctly.

Ving Tsun has such a great reputation, because it didnt lost much of its roots after the burning of the shaolin temple and the scattering of the teachers.

The other styles lost much in this process because every master would teach in his/her own way… changing the syles forever. But that does not mean of course , that the other styles are crap.

To the OP, i second what other poster said. Try them all, research them a litlle… see some demonstration of techniques, and pick the one you like the most. In the end it will be your dedication that will make you or break you.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to sign up for Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu now, and drop the one I like less after one week (2 sessions).

Here is information from the supplemental martial arts brochure:

BJJ
Grappling Martial Art that specializes in ground technique
in real life situations. It encompasses throws, sweeps,
takedowns, positional control, positional escapes and
submissions by chokes, limb, and joint locks.

Judo
Judo will empower and develop participants to be strong
and athletic. Throwing, pinning, chokes and joint locks
are all allowed in this Olympic sport which is also a great
means of self-defense.

Kung Fu
Learn Kung Fu style (Shaolin) emphasizing striking, kicking,
throwing and grappling; and a weapon form
and sparring.

Muay Thai
Muay Thai is a practical, combative martial art form
of kickboxing that allows hand, elbow, knee, and kick
strikes to the head, body and legs. Thai Boxing is known
for its hard-core, high-level cardiovascular and strength
conditioning from training with kicking pads, sparring drills
and intense calisthenics.

Honestly, I would recommend to stay clear of the Kung Fu. Quality varies considerably and its too hard for a beginner to judge quality.

Not often is it trained in a realistic format neither. Too often it is shrouded in mysticism, “tradition and lineage”, excuses, and ineffective training practices. Yes there are exceptions but it is oh so rare. And yes there are interesting and useful things to learn but you will probably have to wade through miles of baggage.

With BJJ, Muay Thai, etc you can be certain you are learning the real deal. If you are looking to “kick ass” as you mentioned, I would go with that, it will fit the bill. Fighting without all the baggage.

[quote]Brahms wrote:
Hello,

I want to learn some martial arts this summer. I’ve never done it before. My options are:

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Judo
Kung Fu
Muay Thai

These are the classes offered by my univeristy and i’d prefer to stay here. They are one month long courses and the classes are 2 hours long, twice a week.

My goal is to kick ass basically[/quote]

The best martial art is the one you get the most personal growth out of.

Not the one that lets you “kick the most ass.”

There’s a good reason that martial art masters aren’t constantly thrown in prison for crippling people (despite the fact that they easily could).

Hopefully seriously taking one of these arts will change your perception a bit.

If your in college then try every club they have to offer. When I was in school it cost about $30 to train with any particular club for a full semester. More if you wanted to do competitions or some such. I really suggest you try everything out there.

I’m partial to stand up styles like boxing, TKD/Krotty, and MT, but I’ve had a blast playing JJJ for the last year or so. You’d be surprised how one art affects another. Aikido and TKD look like polar opposites but there are times when stances or techniques from one fits with the other.

[quote]CappedAndPlanIt wrote:
Brahms wrote:
Hello,

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Judo
Kung Fu
Muay Thai

My goal is to kick ass basically

The best martial art is the one you get the most personal growth out of.

Not the one that lets you “kick the most ass.”

There’s a good reason that martial art masters aren’t constantly thrown in prison for crippling people (despite the fact that they easily could).

Hopefully seriously taking one of these arts will change your perception a bit.

[/quote]

You need to go re-educate yourself on what the word “martial” means. You can get tons of personal growth from the boy scouts. Martial arts teach you how to fight.

1. For me Judo is the most fun. Judo players are typically in the best shape of all martial artists (here come the flames). Judo is just as good as the others in terms of self defence (here come more flames). In terms of self defence I am convinced that it is the fighter not the style that matters most.
  2. Finally, this decision depends on both your personality and the personality of the instructor. Some instructors can crush the joy out of anything thing. So look at all of them and choose the one that fits you best and has the instructor that you can connect with.

Good luck.
jim

[quote]jamej wrote:

1. For me Judo is the most fun. Judo players are typically in the best shape of all martial artists (here come the flames). Judo is just as good as the others in terms of self defence (here come more flames). In terms of self defence I am convinced that it is the fighter not the style that matters most.
    [/quote]

I’ve met my fair share of chubby Judoka.

do both Bjj and mui thai, that way you will have the best of both worlds…ground tactics and pound tactics…lol

but i think it would be the best choice, or if you have to pick one chose bjj, its always good to spare around on the ground because almost all fights like 80% of them lead to the ground unless you can KO in the first second of a fight.

but yea if you have to pick one do Bjj, then just buy yourself or make yourself a 100-350lb punching bag, believe me if you can make a 300lb bag move with a couple of hits you are strong enough to go for a title…not allot of fighters use 300lb bags unless you talking about some hardcore boxing training guys.

[quote]Brahms wrote:
Hello,

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Judo
Kung Fu
Muay Thai

My goal is to kick ass basically[/quote]

Well if your goal is basically to kick ass then don?t do one of them do two, every martial art has its weakness. BJJ Concentrates on there ground game so obviously there stand up game is going to suffer, Muay Thai concentrates on Stand up striking with very little grappling and no ground work, Kung Fu is shit (flame if u want, but I will also say every martial art has its uses, I just don?t think Kung Fu is good for practical fighting), Judo teaches great grappling and a descent ground game. In my opinion do both BJJ and Muay Thai, then you will be taught a great stand up striking and a great takedown based ground Martial Art.

That way you can move between all 4 ranges of attack/defense (Kicking range, Punching Range, Stand up grappling and ground work) and be able to hold your own.

Groundfighting like judo or BJJ is a lot more fun, imo, because 1. after learning the basics, you can go almost all out in practice / randori without getting hurt. In stand-up it’s almost impossible to go all out safely. And 2. you can “win” by having your partner tap out, (or lose by tapping out yourself) which really motivates to try harder. With stand up you can never really win in practice.

I used to train boxing, now recreational MMA with some other middle aged guys who have given up pretenses about being tough or fighting competition, but still want to work out hard. Fun.