T Nation

Which 'Kind' of Creatine?

hi all, im looking at getting creatine but im. stuck on which “kind” to get, do I get the good old tried and tested monohydrate ore one of the newer versions ((don’t know their names sorry)).

thanks neil

Monohydrate

all the other variations do either increase solubility (salts like hydrochloride and nitrate) which is a non-issue when taken with enough fluid or slightly longer serum half-life which is a non-issue since it costs much more than the higher dose of monohydrate to reach the same level would

thanks for the info.

neil

[quote]irvs wrote:
hi all, im looking at getting creatine but im. stuck on which “kind” to get, do I get the good old tried and tested monohydrate ore one of the newer versions ((don’t know their names sorry)).

thanks neil [/quote]

Monohydrate or Malate such as those sold in the store here. :slight_smile:

cheers again for the heads up lads, I got monohydrate last night im actually excited to see how it works out over the next few months.

Even though you already got the right thing, I just wanted to post this video. Explains a lot on the kre-alkalyn shit and myths about creatine;

Get creapure/german creatine if getting mono.

Get micronized creatine monohydrate; it’s just a finer version of monohydrate. I’d suggest that you take 10 grams of that per day too.

I’m sure somebody is going to tell you that I’m wrong and that 5 grams of creatine is ‘enough’, but you might as well go for 10 grams to fool proof yourself.

Don’t worry about your kidneys either; that’s what check ups are for, no? Seriously though; you’ll be fine.

I’ve taken 10g/day monohydrate (german, creapure, tons of different brands) for as long as I can remember. I never felt like I ever got anything from in (non-responder?), but just took it because it’s cheap, and there are supposed other benefits outside strength training. I’ve even tried malate for an extended period of time.

Recently, someone gave me a handful of creatine hcl caps to try out. I took 1 pre workout when I was loading SWF+MAG-10, and I started to feel a nice fullness about midway through training. I hadn’t really done any pump work or anything either, but I was doing sets of hang cleans with a hook grip, and really squeezing the bar.

It could be placebo. I don’t know. Chances are mono/malate will work for you. But if you think you’re a non responder, you might try other sources.

[quote]gtl wrote:
I’ve taken 10g/day monohydrate (german, creapure, tons of different brands) for as long as I can remember. I never felt like I ever got anything from in (non-responder?), but just took it because it’s cheap, and there are supposed other benefits outside strength training. I’ve even tried malate for an extended period of time.

Recently, someone gave me a handful of creatine hcl caps to try out. I took 1 pre workout when I was loading SWF+MAG-10, and I started to feel a nice fullness about midway through training. I hadn’t really done any pump work or anything either, but I was doing sets of hang cleans with a hook grip, and really squeezing the bar.

It could be placebo. I don’t know. Chances are mono/malate will work for you. But if you think you’re a non responder, you might try other sources.[/quote]

x2 try a bunch. CEE works really well for me but for some people does nothing

I’ve gotten huge pumps from creatine nitrate but the long-term water weight from it is just not my cup of tea. Good old monohydrate is what everyone is saying here, why is that?

ps I was 17 and dumb when I took creatine nitrate so don’t think I’m saying it’s a good supplement I’m just stating that it did bloat me up super fast

Sorry I couldn’t reply I’ve been away with work and no access to a computer. Cheers for the advice and today I’ve upped the dosage to 10g to see how it effects me and my workouts.
my main problem now is my water intake its now nearing summer here in Oz and its normal to have 45’c temps every day. I feel I’ll be losing more water than I’ll be able to consume.

Thanks Neil.

Creatine monohydrate has always worked well for me. I don’t load or preload or whatever but just take the recommended serving for maintenance daily. In a about a week or two, I notice more energy, the ability to pump out a few extra reps before schedule and faster recovery.

At this point I take a “dose” every other day and maintain the energy boost just fine.

Creatine

HCL- most lean mass, lower water retention, no bloating.
Monohydrate- lot of water retention and decent strength increase, lot of bloating.
Ethyl Ester- What’s everybody’s opinion?
Creatine Nitrate- What’s everybody’s opinion? (in cellucor products)

[quote]Patranator wrote:
Creatine

HCL- most lean mass, lower water retention, no bloating.
Monohydrate- lot of water retention and decent strength increase, lot of bloating.
Ethyl Ester- What’s everybody’s opinion?
Creatine Nitrate- What’s everybody’s opinion? (in cellucor products)[/quote]

I take it you have tried both HCL and Mono? I’m looking to get back on and have traditionally bloated very bad from monohydrate (in the face). It’s just not worth it to me to look like Jonah Hill in order to squeeze out a few extra reps.

We’ve studied all forms, and what we went with here at Biotest are Creatine Monohydrate http://www.t-nation.com/store/ and Creatine Malate http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/creatine-malate, the latter because it absorbs better than regular creatine, has greater work capacity effects, and doesn’t cause bloat.

[quote]TC wrote:
We’ve studied all forms, and what we went with here at Biotest are Creatine Monohydrate http://www.T-Nation.com/store/ and Creatine Malate http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/creatine-malate, the latter because it absorbs better than regular creatine, has greater work capacity effects, and doesn’t cause bloat.[/quote]

I do really enjoy the malate. I used to load monohydrate and I would gain as much as 8-10 lbs of water bloat from it. I do not have this problem with malate.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]TC wrote:
We’ve studied all forms, and what we went with here at Biotest are Creatine Monohydrate http://www.T-Nation.com/store/ and Creatine Malate http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/creatine-malate, the latter because it absorbs better than regular creatine, has greater work capacity effects, and doesn’t cause bloat.[/quote]

I do really enjoy the malate. I used to load monohydrate and I would gain as much as 8-10 lbs of water bloat from it. I do not have this problem with malate. [/quote]

That’s great to hear. Thanks very much for chiming in.

Creapure /thread