Which Is Better for Power/Strength?

So my friend/training partner were having a discussion over which one of these training methods is better for strength/power. 8x2 with the last set of the day ending with a 3 with 80% of your max. (week 1 example, 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3…week 2: 2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3) so on until you are at week 8 with 8 sets of 3. ORRRR 8 sets of 2 with more weight each week on each set trying to go up each workout(if this is the better option, what would a good % number for each set be)?

How new are you? Each fresh max as a beginner changes your max. If you have a few months under the bar, then feel free to work with 80% x 2. If you’re new however, maybe spend some more time with a less mathematical system.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
So my friend/training partner were having a discussion over which one of these training methods is better for strength/power. 8x2 with the last set of the day ending with a 3 with 80% of your max. (week 1 example, 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,3…week 2: 2,2,2,2,2,2,3,3) so on until you are at week 8 with 8 sets of 3. ORRRR 8 sets of 2 with more weight each week on each set trying to go up each workout(if this is the better option, what would a good % number for each set be)?[/quote]

the first option.

Thanks for the quick replies guys, first day is tomorrow

Is 80% a good percentage to work off of?

Try your 4RM for doubles. (probably a little under 90%) Do a ton of them. Screw 8 sets, try 15. Even 20. Add 10 lb or so the next time. If you can get lots of reasonably short rest doubles with that, add another 5 or 10 or whatever next time!

Disclaimer: Don’t kill yourself :slight_smile:

FWIW just hit up Juggernaut method when you’re done with madcow and your strength will skyrocket

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
FWIW just hit up Juggernaut method when you’re done with madcow and your strength will skyrocket[/quote]
How do you remember I love madcow? Impressive…

[quote]chobbs wrote:

FWIW just hit up Juggernaut method when you’re done with madcow and your strength will skyrocket[/quote]
How do you remember I love madcow? Impressive…[/quote]

Gave up drinking for 5 years did terrible things to my memory!

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[/quote]
I will definetely be doing that Jaggurnaut method though within the future…with plenty of questions coming your way

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[/quote]
I will definetely be doing that Jaggurnaut method though within the future…with plenty of questions coming your way[/quote]

ok good to hear

Google “Prilepin’s Table” if you need a place to start with %'s, reps, and number of sets.

245 with 8 sets of 2 with 120 seconds rest coming up for chest then weighted chins with 75 lbs with the same rep scheme…gonna kill it

I did the Philippi deadlift program once and it was a lot like this. Worked up to a heavy set of 2, and then dropped down some and did 10 sets of 3. I think after 2 weeks it dropped to 8 sets of 3 with a bit heavier weight and kept doing a progression like that.

Good luck with the thing you’re doing. I fucking hated that much volume lol.

245 was easy as shit, got 245 for 7 sets of 2 then got 3 on my last set with at least 2 left in the tank