T Nation

Which GHR?

My club is looking into buying a GHR. Since we’re based in Europe, shipping from the US is a bitch (as well as custom tax and 25% VAT), so we’re also looking at GHRs from Europe.

So far we’ve pretty much narrowed it down to these two:

EFS Old School: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=5433
Strength Shop Deluxe: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/glute-ham-developer-deluxe.html

The one from EFS would total $1200 and the one from Strength Shop would be $940.

I’m convinced that the EFS model is the right choice, but how do I convince the club board to shell out the extra $260?

tell them you dont want to have to replace the fucker ever. efs is rock fucking solid. then again alot of people sell good equipment so unless you have experience with both i would not discount either as better or worse. Its the gyms call dude, its their money.

It’s not a gym, but a club/association and every member has a say in the matter (just to clarify). It was we - the members - who proposed a GHR in the first place. If I can get some valid arguments for or against either model, the Board (who have the final say) is going to listen.

I’m leaning towards the EFS because it’s the “safe” choice. The other one might be good, but I have no way of knowing. I am however convinced that the EFS model IS good.

Good point about not having to replace it :slight_smile:

[quote]tjr-dk wrote:
It’s not a gym, but a club/association and every member has a say in the matter (just to clarify). It was we - the members - who proposed a GHR in the first place. If I can get some valid arguments for or against either model, the Board (who have the final say) is going to listen.

I’m leaning towards the EFS because it’s the “safe” choice. The other one might be good, but I have no way of knowing. I am however convinced that the EFS model IS good.

Good point about not having to replace it :)[/quote]

yeah, ive bought a 400$ power rack that is seriously a brick house, so i wouldnt discredit the so called ‘inferior’ names, they can be super good deals, if you guys could test some out thatd be optimal, also just think an extra 300$ or so can be put towards a nice specialty bar or something sexy. Just depends on if ya guys really care that much about the extreme quality vs quantity or just more money in the pocket. lets us know what ya pick and how it works, least it will be a good review for future buyers!

Definitely the Elite FTS one, the footplate looks too small on the other one and that is a huge downfall in the construction of GHR’s. The gym I go to bought one made by AgainFaster (Crossfit company) and within two weeks one of the pads that holds your ankles in snapped off…there’s a reason that one of EliteFTS’s url’s is glutehamraise.com

Tell them because Wendler said so…buy nice…not twice.

Ty Carlsson: Thanks, that’s solid input. The footplate was one of my worries about the cheap one.

[quote]HARA wrote:
Tell them because Wendler said so…buy nice…not twice.
[/quote]

Image using that argument to convince the chairman and treasurer, both retired lifters, resistant to change, 60 years plus, used to lift when the press was still a competition lift, bumpers wasn’t invented and squat stands were a luxury:

“Well, this guy on the internet said so. So lets spend $1200 on some equipment, to do an exercise you’ve never heard of, that you didn’t need to get brutally strong when you were young.”

I do however agree with you.

[quote]tjr-dk wrote:
My club is looking into buying a GHR. Since we’re based in Europe, shipping from the US is a bitch (as well as custom tax and 25% VAT), so we’re also looking at GHRs from Europe.

So far we’ve pretty much narrowed it down to these two:

EFS Old School: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=5433
Strength Shop Deluxe: https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/glute-ham-developer-deluxe.html

The one from EFS would total $1200 and the one from Strength Shop would be $940.

I’m convinced that the EFS model is the right choice, but how do I convince the club board to shell out the extra $260? [/quote]

So why spend and extra $260… well how many gyms have this knock off piece of equipment in it? Now how many have EFS stuff and what caliber of gyms have the EFS stuff? Pretty high caliber if I may be so bold. $260 is a small difference in terms of quality over the life of the equipment which will be exceptional with the EFS gear. The key to the EFS gear is the pad angle. With my efs model after squats or deads, I can’t do a single one without doing a push up first or doing one hell of a back raise to let momentum take me through the movement. On regular GHR devices ( my buddies) I can bang out reps after squats or deads. The pad angle is highly effective almost to the point it make other models not only inferior but ineffective in many ways.
The customer service of EFS is second to none. If for some reason you need a replacement part EFS is gonna be all over it. Is the other company? The other company prolly just sells shit. EFS educates the masses for free. I’m sure everyone in your gym has use $260 worth of training advice to make the cost difference balance out. The EFS stuff is bomb proof, way over built so you truly are paying for quality. You will NOT be disappointed with any EFS equipment. Once you’ve trained on it it really makes other products seem like erector set garbage. I had a power rack that “worked” it lasted me 4 years… I bought an EFS 2x2 rack. It worked MUCH better and still functions as well as the day I bolted it together.

Hope this helps. Do your best to get the EFS GHR device. You will love it and all their stuff.

EDIT: just zoomed in on the other model. That thing is bolted together in too many places! Way too many pivot points. In time those bolts will be loosened from use and make the equipment wobbly. Now look at the EFS GHR, it’s welded in most places. Way more stout and built for heavy club use. This also is why the shipping is higher. It comes on a skid and not in pieces.

EFS for the win man…

StrengthDawg; Thanks for that post. You bring up some very good points, especially the welded vs. bolted issue.

We already have an EFS Yoke Bar, and it is bombproof.

My gym has the cheaper model and I can attest to what strengthdawg is saying, it will eventually begin to wobble and shimmy A LOT at all the points with bolts.

not to be a dick but…ever try tightening the bolts? Most things loosen over time no matter what and you can tighten them, thats not really a sign of weakness in the overall product.

any joint over time will become very loose regardless of how many times one tightens the bolts. The flanges will wobble and the gap widths will open causing looser joints. Straight runs of tubing / pipe rarely need to be replaced due to use, it’s always the joints that cause the issues.

Welding however actually blends the metals together forming a one piece assembly eliminating those weak spots. If this were a $1000 difference then I’d recommend tightening the bolts every few day/ weeks whatever it takes but $260 is nothing for the added engineering and quality. Plus the OP asked for reasons to favor one over the other.

This is why I posted the things I did and again with that close of a price gap they would be wise in my opinion to go with the EFS model. Already having a YOKE bar is a great thing as you can show the quality of the bar. I also have a Yoke Bar, Spider bar, Swiss bar, 2x2 rack, GHR and all of it is brick shit house solid. Hell I have the Blast Straps. The hardwear on those are over built & big as fuck and will last forever. If I remember correctly the weakest point on the blast straps tested at 600#.

S you can tell I am a huge fan of EFS shit and it’s for a reason. I know that when I buy it it’s an investment that will pay huge dividends in the long run vs some shoddy shit I got a “deal” on. You really do buy nice or you buy twice. I have bought some shit in the past and I justified to myself how I did the right thing for example my flat to incline bench. I was cheap and bought a $400 model.

Guess what it fucking sucks, I should have dropped the $600 and bought the EFS one. Now I’ve spent $1000 on a fucking bench…and I have to haul this piece of shit bench off. Live and learn…

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
any joint over time will become very loose regardless of how many times one tightens the bolts. The flanges will wobble and the gap widths will open causing looser joints. Straight runs of tubing / pipe rarely need to be replaced due to use, it’s always the joints that cause the issues.

Welding however actually blends the metals together forming a one piece assembly eliminating those weak spots. If this were a $1000 difference then I’d recommend tightening the bolts every few day/ weeks whatever it takes but $260 is nothing for the added engineering and quality. Plus the OP asked for reasons to favor one over the other.

This is why I posted the things I did and again with that close of a price gap they would be wise in my opinion to go with the EFS model. Already having a YOKE bar is a great thing as you can show the quality of the bar. I also have a Yoke Bar, Spider bar, Swiss bar, 2x2 rack, GHR and all of it is brick shit house solid. Hell I have the Blast Straps. The hardwear on those are over built & big as fuck and will last forever. If I remember correctly the weakest point on the blast straps tested at 600#.

S you can tell I am a huge fan of EFS shit and it’s for a reason. I know that when I buy it it’s an investment that will pay huge dividends in the long run vs some shoddy shit I got a “deal” on. You really do buy nice or you buy twice. I have bought some shit in the past and I justified to myself how I did the right thing for example my flat to incline bench. I was cheap and bought a $400 model.

Guess what it fucking sucks, I should have dropped the $600 and bought the EFS one. Now I’ve spent $1000 on a fucking bench…and I have to haul this piece of shit bench off. Live and learn…[/quote]

thats the explanation i was looking for, makes sense.

Thanks all :slight_smile:

[quote]tjr-dk wrote:

[quote]HARA wrote:
Tell them because Wendler said so…buy nice…not twice.
[/quote]

Imagine using that argument to convince the chairman and treasurer, both retired lifters, resistant to change, 60 years plus, used to lift when the press was still a competition lift, bumpers wasn’t invented and squat stands were a luxury:

“Well, this guy on the internet said so. So lets spend $1200 on some equipment, to do an exercise you’ve never heard of, that you didn’t need to get brutally strong when you were young.”[/quote]

Jim Wendler = “guy on the internet”

[quote]csulli wrote:
Jim Wendler = “guy on the internet”


[/quote]

What’s your point? That fellas who’ve been lifting for 40+ year should fucking know better and join the Wendler Nut-Hugging Association?

[quote]tjr-dk wrote:

What’s your point? That fellas who’ve been lifting for 40+ year should fucking know better and join the Wendler Nut-Hugging Association?[/quote]

Bro, you seem to be a bit intimidated by the experience level of this board. While it is great that it is comprised of experienced lifters you should look at it that because of their experience they will understand that training methodologies have changed and for the most part improved. Equipment has improved and changed for the better most times. The GHR is a great piece of equipment. Is it necessary? NO… there are big as fuck dude in prison who do nothing but squat their buddies all fucking day and do copious amounts of push ups and shit.

What you should focus on is that the GHR IMPROVES ON and possibly even “could” replace things like Good mornings, natural GHR on a lat tower, GHR off the floor. sit up on the floor etc. From a liability standpoint the GHR is definitely SAFER as compared to some new guy doing good mornings with shit form. Even great gyms get fucking Retards in them on occasion…
This device is cabable of allowing a multitude of exercises. GHR, sit ups, side bends, back extensions,reverse hypers, hell I’ve seen dudes using it as a preacher curl bench with dumbbells.
Approach this from the standpoint that the GHR will eliminate the need for future equipment such as a leg curl machine, a back raise bench, etc. This device will SAVE the club monies down the road…

Don’t let a bunch of old fuckers intimidate you. Most old guys like to talk shit about "wlking to school in the snow, uphill, BOTH WAYS, and all that bravado bullshit speak. Aside from all that crap they are just regular guys who like to train. They may be able to spot bullshit a mile away. Be CONFIDENT in the GHR, it’s not like you are asking the club to buy a bunch of Tony Little GAZELLES or SHAKE WEIGHTS!! lol.

now make it happen!

[quote]tjr-dk wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:
Jim Wendler = “guy on the internet”


[/quote]

What’s your point? That fellas who’ve been lifting for 40+ year should fucking know better and join the Wendler Nut-Hugging Association?[/quote]

Sure.

Strength Dawg: I actually have been standing firm on getting the EFS GHR, otherwise they would most likely have bought some other - likely inferior - model. I just started this tread to get some extra ‘ammo’.

Anyway, I’ve just been the go ahead to order the EFS GHR, so mission accomplished :slight_smile:

My point was that there’s no way I’d ever convince these old farts of anything if I used an argument referring to anything on the internet or some dude they’ve never heard of.

[quote]tjr-dk wrote:
Strength Dawg: I actually have been standing firm on getting the EFS GHR, otherwise they would most likely have bought some other - likely inferior - model. I just started this tread to get some extra ‘ammo’.[/quote]

of course :slight_smile:

HECK YEAH!!! good deal man!!

But the internet is awesome? hahaha just playin… enjoy your machine, when you get it!