Which Game Console??

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:
Wait 4 months and you’ll have your pick from the new Xbox 360 system or the new Nintendo system, or an even greater price decrease on the existing systems…

I personally have an Xbox, I love it, wouldn’t go any other way.

Which is why the answer you get is based on who already owns what. I am waiting on the new PS3. I like the controls better.[/quote]

Prof X is right. This is just one of those debates where those who are loyal to one will stick with theirs and the other side will do the same. The architecture of the two systems is set up differently, so that it is just about impossible to do a real apples-to-apples comparison on technical specifications, total number of polygons and shading and blah blah blah.

They are both going to be amazing systems and it comes down to who puts out better games. I sometimes worry about the trend to just have these super powerful machines as if that alone will carry the day with amazing graphics. The game could look great and still be ZERO fun to play.

But again, I am getting an XBox 360 because I love my XBox, I love the controllers on it and have been very happy with the XBox Live service. Where else could I get the chance to play Halo 2 with rainjack and his son? Hell, I can think of a few folks on the political forums alone would jump at the chance to try and frag a virtual RJ. lol

If you want to buy one right now then I’d suggest the PS2 based on the number of titles available vs the other systems.

If you can wait, then PS3, basically for the same reason.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
Less filling.

PS3 should kick some major butt. There’s a good thing about the xbox though is that you’ll be able to pick your level of system all the way up to 4 hundred bucks, starting at 2. I have a ps2 and also love the controls…A buddy has the xbox and it seems there’s more people out there to play live with. [/quote]

I didn’t hear anything about the different price ranges of the PS3, I just heard it’s going to be more expensive and a much longer wait than the Xbox 360, and include a ton of features I really have no desire for, i.e. “a complete home theatre center”, as I read in one Sony press release, which is why it’s going to cost much more. Sony makes some sweet products, but just give me a kick ass game system already, I don’t need it to cook me breakfast and give me a sponge bath too… although that would be awesome…

Where did you hear about the varying price levels, lostinthought?

The Nintendo Revolution is gonna be cheap at launch.

And it will allow you to play all current GameCube games, Nintendo 64, SNES and NES games (nothing beats the original Zelda!!)

Anyways, my opinion is you get an Xbox 360 AND the new Nintendo console (since it will be damn cheap compared to the competition).

Either buy those two, or ONLY buy a PS3 if you are a Playstation fan (beware of the price though, rumours go on to say that it will cost around $400 at launch).

Don’t do it!!! Put the console down! You’ll regret it. Seriously. My last roomie had an xbox with a 200Gb HD. Some days I would take days off from school, so I could get trough the game I foolishly started.

On the other hand, I suppose there’s more game disciplined guys then me out there.

[quote]Imbrondir wrote:
Don’t do it!!! Put the console down! You’ll regret it. Seriously. My last roomie had an xbox with a 200Gb HD. Some days I would take days off from school, so I could get trough the game I foolishly started.

On the other hand, I suppose there’s more game disciplined guys then me out there.[/quote]

I had roommates in college who would skip classes until they flunked the course just to play Mortal Kombat. Clearly, the game system has little to do with that.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Imbrondir wrote:

On the other hand, I suppose there’s more game disciplined guys then me out there.

I had roommates in college who would skip classes until they flunked the course just to play Mortal Kombat. Clearly, the game system has little to do with that.[/quote]

But at the same time, Prof, you MUST have had one of those times when you sat down to play a game and then suddenly look up and realize its 5 hours later and you haven’t even moved… err, or is that just me? For the love of God, please don’t let that just be me.

pick a game (or games) you really want to play and then buy the system that plays them. I went PS2 for Gran Turismo, Tekken, and the Final Fantasy series. Personally I couldn’t care much for halo, as counter-strike on pc is a hell of a lot more fun (so is quake).

[quote]JohnGalt wrote:
pick a game (or games) you really want to play and then buy the system that plays them. I went PS2 for Gran Turismo, Tekken, and the Final Fantasy series. Personally I couldn’t care much for halo, as counter-strike on pc is a hell of a lot more fun (so is quake).[/quote]

Although the designer of the Final Fantasy series is now designing for XBox 360…

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Imbrondir wrote:

I had roommates in college who would skip classes until they flunked the course just to play Mortal Kombat. Clearly, the game system has little to do with that.

But at the same time, Prof, you MUST have had one of those times when you sat down to play a game and then suddenly look up and realize its 5 hours later and you haven’t even moved… err, or is that just me? For the love of God, please don’t let that just be me.[/quote]

Man, I just love the ritual of an “X-box” day… Usually, it revolves around a day with shitty weather, folded/completed laundry, powered down cell phone, a can of Kodiak, a magnum of cheap white wine, meat and cheeses of various origin, a baggy t-shirt, mesh shorts, my dog hangin’ out with me, and my trusty X-box loaded and ready with whatever season of whatever sport I’m playing… Oh, and forget contact lenses, I gotta wear the glasses lest my eyes go buggy. I’m settling in for the long haul baby and playing until I’m too far loaded to remember what game I’m playing in the first place…

Course these days are very few and far between, rarely is every indulgence satisfied like this ON THE SAME DAY. But when the stars align and I can settle in for a full day of X-box, I realize that there is a higher power and today, he wants me to go ahead and take’r easy…

GAINER

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Xbox… you can mod it and use it as a media center, as well as put ROMs from old systems (nintendo, SNES, Genesis, etc) on it and play them.

Once you add the online option you can hack any system. the fact that its made by microsoft means shit. i got snes and neogeo emulators on my psp and a buddy got windows 95 running.

if you cant wait for next-gen systems go with the x-box because Doom3 Halflife2 farcry instincts and battlefield2 are all for the xbox not to mention xbox live pwns ps2 online.

as far as next-gen PS3>Xbox360

[quote]BrwnbellyYankee wrote:
Once you add the online option you can hack any system.[/quote]

How large a hard drive does the PSP have? I added a 250GB to mine, the Xbox Media Center, emulators for just about all the systems, ROMs, and probably 50 xbox games. I’m not familiar with emulation/modding on the PSP (though I know it’s possible). All I can say is that I’m very happy with what I’ve been able to do on the xbox.

As a designer on both of the chips, for both the PS3 and the XBox 360. I would recommend waiting for the PS3. It might be the second quarter of next year, but I would wait. I currently run an Xbox, which I will keep, but I am going to get the PS3 anyways.

[quote]shouit wrote:
As a designer on both of the chips, for both the PS3 and the XBox 360. I would recommend waiting for the PS3. It might be the second quarter of next year, but I would wait. I currently run an Xbox, which I will keep, but I am going to get the PS3 anyways.[/quote]

Care to elaborate on why? Thanks.

nephorm wrote:
How large a hard drive does the PSP have? I added a 250GB to mine, the Xbox Media Center, emulators for just about all the systems, ROMs, and probably 50 xbox games. I’m not familiar with emulation/modding on the PSP (though I know it’s possible).

1)the psp does not come with a internal hd it comes with a 64mb memory stick. which is large enough for just playing and saving your games, but for people who like to take full advantage of the psp(me)i found out that i would have to upgrade to 1gb stick(tack on another 80 bucks to the 250 for the system).You’ll need the 1gb stick for transfering movies from a dvd-to your psp(so you dont have to buy a separate umd movie hehehe).

2)Emulation/ROMS and Hacks for the PsP are endless. the first one was the wipeout pure web browser. and it has gone as far as makeing your psp a tivo controller. for more info on hacks for the psp check out these sites.
http://www.pspmod.com/
http://www.psphacks.blogspot.com/
http://www.psp-hacks.com/psp-hacks.php

3)As far as modding your xbox thats a large ass hd.
Now for my rant on the 360 as somebody else stated the 360’s price point has been set one for 299 & 399. where im concerned is that the difference in the packages is a 20gb hd and a wireless controller(and also the backwards combatability(sp?)). why is there such a price increase for such a small ass hd you can get a 100+gb hd for less than 100 bucks now.All i know is i see modding in the future…

[quote]Kuz wrote:
But at the same time, Prof, you MUST have had one of those times when you sat down to play a game and then suddenly look up and realize its 5 hours later and you haven’t even moved… err, or is that just me? For the love of God, please don’t let that just be me.[/quote]

I’ve sat down in the morning, thinking to put off breakfast one hour. Next thing I know, it’s dark outside, it’s 4 o’clock and suddenly it hits me that I’m dying of hunger and thirst.

Obviously I can only afford turning on any game 1-2 times pr year.

I dont like game consoles very much, i never have, but my addictions is the regular PC, and on its “Satans Spawn”, the most evil game ever made… EVERQUEST.

I bought this game in 2001, I have quit playing it 3 times, completely deleting it off my hard drive then destroying the disk…but i still play. Ive played 30 hrs straight, just breaks to piss, eat and drink. on a regular basis i USED TOO play 5- 8 hrs a day, 14 hrs on the week end, that was before the first time i quit. Then for a while i would play a cple hrs here and cpl hrs there, like i had no addiction, i quit again. Then after 4 moths i started again, playing 3-5 hrs a day for abou 8 months, then quit last time. i quit that time for another 6 months, then started back up again sigh.
NOW Im ready to quit again, this time forever, I need to focus myself into getting in shape, and achieving my goals. So if any of you play this game… i got a 70 shaman to sell, lol (or give away)
Moral of story. games suck and i hate them all, anddont play everquest

I would go with Xbox, it’s the system i have now but i am getting tired of it. The games are nothing spectacular anymore. Halo is played out or getting there and Halo 2 is a cake with nothing but icing, and who wants all the icing if there’s a shitty cake under it.

Personally I love technology. I’m pretty much addicted to it and take personal pride in it so i’m seriousley thinking of going back to PC gaming, it’s a whole other world compared to consoles, in fact they can’t compare, not even close. Halo on PC is INSANE if your system can handle it, DOOM 3, Half Life 2 all those games have such grounbreaking engines, graphics etc…That i love to see a powerfull PC chomp all the code needed to run games like that at ultra high resolution with 60-120 Frames. Most of the stuff consoles get is a trickle down from the technology developed for the PC.

The PC gaming is like the Formula 1 test bed on the track, technologies developed there will find it’s way into your Camry (console)

I must point out that gaming on a console is a different experience and i enjoy the social aspect of it alot so in the end if the $$$ allow it i may and up with both or perhaps 2 PC’s for head to head play, now that would be cool.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
I would go with Xbox, it’s the system i have now but i am getting tired of it. The games are nothing spectacular anymore. Halo is played out or getting there and Halo 2 is a cake with nothing but icing, and who wants all the icing if there’s a shitty cake under it.

Personally I love technology. I’m pretty much addicted to it and take personal pride in it so i’m seriousley thinking of going back to PC gaming, it’s a whole other world compared to consoles, in fact they can’t compare, not even close. Halo on PC is INSANE if your system can handle it, DOOM 3, Half Life 2 all those games have such grounbreaking engines, graphics etc…That i love to see a powerfull PC chomp all the code needed to run games like that at ultra high resolution with 60-120 Frames. Most of the stuff consoles get is a trickle down from the technology developed for the PC.

The PC gaming is like the Formula 1 test bed on the track, technologies developed there will find it’s way into your Camry (console)

I must point out that gaming on a console is a different experience and i enjoy the social aspect of it alot so in the end if the $$$ allow it i may and up with both or perhaps 2 PC’s for head to head play, now that would be cool.[/quote]

Those are some fair points (although I think Halo 2’s on-line play is the best I’ve ever seen on a console, by far). I think the big advantage (for the most part) is that if you play on-line games, there is not the same modding/cheating factor you have with PC games. I really will never understand why people feel the need to do something as dumb as that - does it REALLY make you feel better about yourself if you beat someone else while cheating your brains out? Plus, it’s nice to know that with a console that the games you buy will run just fine on it and you don’t need to worry if your system is fast enough.

I think the new console systems are going to be (from what I have seen) pretty advanced and look to be ahead of where a lot of gaming PCs are now. Granted, PC’s can keep being upgraded over time with newer technology so they eventually win out over static console systems in that respect.

Anyhoo, here’s to dropping $399 (plus tax) in a few months for the new XBox 360 and playing Gears of War until my eyeballs roll outta my head!

Kuz

[quote]Kuz wrote:
Gregus wrote:

I must point out that gaming on a console is a different experience and i enjoy the social aspect of it alot so in the end if the $$$ allow it i may and up with both or perhaps 2 PC’s for head to head play, now that would be cool.

Those are some fair points (although I think Halo 2’s on-line play is the best I’ve ever seen on a console, by far). I think the big advantage (for the most part) is that if you play on-line games, there is not the same modding/cheating factor you have with PC games. I really will never understand why people feel the need to do something as dumb as that - does it REALLY make you feel better about yourself if you beat someone else while cheating your brains out? Plus, it’s nice to know that with a console that the games you buy will run just fine on it and you don’t need to worry if your system is fast enough.

I think the new console systems are going to be (from what I have seen) pretty advanced and look to be ahead of where a lot of gaming PCs are now. Granted, PC’s can keep being upgraded over time with newer technology so they eventually win out over static console systems in that respect.

Anyhoo, here’s to dropping $399 (plus tax) in a few months for the new XBox 360 and playing Gears of War until my eyeballs roll outta my head!

Kuz[/quote]

That’s true, the gamin consoles have improved by leaps and bounds in the last few years. Their graphic capabilities have improved dramatically but they will always be hampered by their price and things like the output device they use namely your television. It can only get about 400x600 resolution lines, it may be more for the hdtv sets out there but not by much maybe 800 x 600.

On a PC you can run games with crystal clear resolutions of 1200 by 1600 lines of resolution at 90 frames per second, i know that this level of performance will be impossible for consoles due to hardware limitations of the console itself and poeple’s equipment at home, also the processor capability of PC’s are such that desigers can program so much randomness and Artificial intelligence that PC games are just in a different league and that’s not to say all pc games, but there are a few titles that always push the envelope, games like

Battlefield 2
Halo ( it’s crazy on the PC, flamethrowers etc… )
Doom 3
Half Life 2

Once you experience the fine level of controll with speed and graphics that take you there, Consoles start to feel a little watered down.

The cheating online is all BS imo, some people need to feel like they have superpowers over others and it just illustrates their patheic life in their real reality, or that’s just their idea of humor and entertainment kinda like the guy in the faster car enjoying passing all the slower cars.

The thing to note is that in just about all the commericals you see for games show you the graphics of game intro’s not gameplay. Gameplay oftentimes looks way different then the commercial’s flawless graphics, which are computer graphics in reality but marketed as console graphics.