Which Exercises Don't Make Shoulder Impingement Worse?

Hey, I just wanted to thank you for putting up all the information about functional upward motion. I think a lot of us get the “down and back” or “shoulderblades in your back pocket” cues ingrained to avoid internal rotation.

@ChickenLittle, tagging you since we were talking about some of the anatomical differences in the Chinups thread. You might find @BReddy’s post helpful.

Nice thread, @Imajica. Thanks.

Puff

1 Like

Thank you @anon71262119
This is very interesting because I have recently figured out that I am doing something wrong in my bench set up with squeezing the shoulder blades together.
I am not sure what exactly it is but at least I think I am on the right track. Whatever I’m doing my traps are taking the brunt of it.
I did manage 3x75lbs close grip the other day so at least that’s something. Ten more years and I will finally get that third digit…lol

1 Like

@ChickenLittle, I keep thinking about this, and my Snatch-related injury to my right shoulder.

The video with the pink t-shirt at post 12. Rhomboid Dominance Causing Shoulder Dysfunction. I suspect I have less upward mobility than I should.

OK. Yeah, that’s very interesting. I’ve never had pain in my traps, upper back, or shoulder blade area while benching. Any stress from bench press is going to be the front delt area, front of my shoulder. I’m not having any problems with horizontal pressing now, it’s only in an OH Snatch (Y) position.

Nope. You have 100 pound bench in you. This will happen. It’s hard for me to travel. I’d love to go visit my brother in Texas and come your way and lift with you.

This movement works great! I only had bands to try it with but there was absolutely no pain.

All this information is excellent. I just took my first week off completely in 1.5 years. I am reevaluating my exercise selection as per your suggestions @BReddy

@anon71262119 Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

II hope can get your shoulder issues resolved.
Thank you, all I can do is keep at it.
That would bebbe great! I understand your circumstances with traveling. I hope your brother is doing well!
Oh! I like the new avatar!

1 Like

Thank you!
It’s an old one, revisited. I haven’t had any nice pictures taken, but I’m 4-5 pounds lighter in my avi than my lowest weight this past month. I’m trying to inspire myself when I see it to eat better more consistently. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw Khangles mention landmine presses way back in the thread, are those possible? Either one hand at a time or with a Viking press attachment could be worth a try, kneeling or standing to play with the angles. After some shoulder issues I did these for several months before going back to a barbell (which is kind of touch and go still). Black Widow training gear makes this double pipe hinge mount that’s really handy if you have a power rack.

2 Likes

Sure thing! Glad you’re finding it helpful.

1 Like

Ah, nice to hear. I was going to say, try some bands. Even if it’s not too challenging, if nothing else, it can at least give you some insight as to whether allowing the shoulder blades to move more feels better.

1 Like

Yes exactly! Everything is very much appreciated :slight_smile:

Yes, this works too, if I hold it and press up with both hands together.

I do a lot of other landmine exercises. I’ve finally been able to get my squat movement pattern down using it. I was forever horrible with barbell back squats. Plus, I can’t do them at home right now anyways. Single leg rdl’s are fun with the landmine as well…also been doing hack squats with it…anyways I’ll shut up now :laughing:

1 Like

@bflare78 I thought I would tag you so you could read through this thread. I used the different suggestions @BReddy made and my shoulder pain has almost all but resolved. It has gotten so much better and continues to everyday.

Glad you’re doing so well! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Imajica fantastic! Thanks for the tag I will give it a good read.

1 Like