Which DHEA Blood Test?

Considering DHEA supplementation based on my DHEA blood test results over the last year or so. I still battle with fatigue throughout the day and am already supplementing with pregnenalone. So the question is, is the DHEA Sulfate Immunoassay the proper test?

Choices:

1 Like

I believe that is the correct one sir. The correct way to test DHEA is to test DHEA-S.

What are the symptoms of your fatigue? (length, intensity, tired, yawning, can you workout?)

I notice that sometimes during the middle of the day I start to yawn, feel a little tired, but still able to work out later and feel pretty good through day.

For some reason I thought you were supplementing with DHEA already.

1 Like

So far only pregnenolone. I wanted to see if that would fix it. It helped a little with fatigue and memory but not completely. I have no problem getting out of bed in the AM after 7 hours sleep and then getting to the gym and working out hard. It is mostly in the afternoon and evening. If I close my eyes I fall asleep quickly. This is good at bedtime but not so great at the dinner table or sitting at my desk at work. Along with that my short term memory hasn’t really improved with TRT or the pregnenolone so hoping the DHEA will work. As an engineer it’s kind of important.

1 Like

I read is good to take dhea in the morning. It converts to dhea s later in the day. I believe Dr rouzier says the same.

I had low normal. Starting supp 25mg micronized a couple weeks ago.
I think it has made no change. Will be doing labs late next week. Taking a digestive antibiotic with is non systematic. So I don’t want to test until this is over.
The antibiotics made me extremely constipated.

I do think it may have raised my e2 as I feel more emotional. We shall see.

I like this read

1 Like

were your preg numbers sufficient on the last lab? Did they go up with supplementation?

Im not sure where it is now. I havent had it tested yet.

Interesting article from Harvard:

"So the National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded a randomized, double-blind study of the hormone in slightly overweight adults between the ages of 65 and 78. Half of the 56 participants took 50 milligrams of DHEA daily — a fairly typical dose — while the other half took a placebo.

DHEA didn’t produce dramatic weight loss. People taking the hormone lost, on average, about 2 pounds, while those taking the placebo gained a little more than 1 pound. The results for abdominal fat were more notable. At the end of the six-month study, MRI images showed that the women taking the hormone had shed about 10% of their abdominal fat and the men lost about 7%. That may not seem like much, but the fat that accumulates around our middles is one of the main reasons why being heavy is so unhealthy.

Interestingly, the study also showed that DHEA increases the levels of testosterone in women, but not in men. Levels of estradiol, the most potent, naturally occurring estrogen, went up in both women and men. The hormone also increased the levels of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), a protein with a wide range of effects on various tissues."

Interesting. So it increases e2. but also IGF.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s the increase in e2 and/or testosterone that shed the weight

Wish they did the study on trt men

2 Likes

Good point Charlie.