T Nation

Which Deadlift Hits Back The Best?

stiff legged or “normal” deadlift?

p.s. when I say normal I mean when you put legs into it aswell. and to make things more complicated (now that Im thinking about it) which one would be better for OVERALL growth??

thanks

For overall growth I would just go with the standard deadlift. specifically back growth and nothing else, I would go with rack pulls.

Rack pulls for back growth. The pump in the lower back I got from the first time I did them correctly was insane.

In my opinion the best for overall growth is deadlift in standard position with strong contraction of lats in upper movement’s phase (like in bodybuilding posing-rear lat spread).
To perform movement with maximum efficiency, you need do it slowly and at least 8 reps in every set.

For overall growth, my money is on Snatch-grip Deadlifts from a platform. For best back growth, I would say Snatch-grip Rack Pulls.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
For overall growth I would just go with the standard deadlift. specifically back growth and nothing else, I would go with rack pulls.[/quote]

I’d also agree with Rugby, though it also depends on how you are built. One of my friends gets great back growth from conventional deads and little to no glute/ham growth. I on the other hand feel conventional deads from the floor primarily in my glutes and hams and secondarily in my upper/middle back. As a result when I really want to overload my traps/lats I prefer to do rack deads (though I still do feel rack deads a little in my glutes/hams during the exercise/the next day).

My thoughts are pretty much exactly what Sentoguy wrote there.

If someone feels them from the floor then they should do them primarily from there. I try to find the longest “stroke” of a movement for the muscle that still gets the desired effect. There is a sweet spot for me in terms of overload vs distance traveled in rack deads and it’s unique to my body position and movement pattern alone. Some would blow up off pulls from knee level, some pulling from the floor, my sweet spot is about 4-5 inches below the knee. Or someone could alternate(over seperate workouts) where they pull from to get the best of both worlds.

I would go with snatch-grip deadlifts over rack pulls for the best back building deadlift but both work. The rack pull will give you better lower back results but trying to keep your midback from rounding in a snatch-grip deadlift is especially hard. So both focus on different parts.

can anyone give me a link as to what snatch grip deads or rack pull deads look like?

are those pretty much stiff-legged or am I missing something lol?

Overall growth: Trap-bar Deads elevated on a box enough to get all the way down hamstrings against calves while maintaining a natural curvature in the spine. For a preferential emphasis on overall back development, Barbell Rack Deads with the pin set just above where the Quads would get things started from the floor.

[quote]bmar22 wrote:
can anyone give me a link as to what snatch grip deads or rack pull deads look like?

are those pretty much stiff-legged or am I missing something lol?[/quote]

Snatch grip deads is deadlifting with a snatch grip. A snatch grip is a very wide overhand grip farther than shoulder width.

Rack pulls are done in a power rack. Similar to setting up the pins for squatting, you instead align them so when the bar sits on them they are not touching the ground. IT basically limits the distance of a conventional deadlift and allows you to use more weight.

Snatch WIDE grip from the flor could be an option, as rack pulls. The grip could be a problem since you will be handling more weight than usual. Wide grip for DL is not so comfortable and you will be probably losing grip so straps are needed here.
Personally I like doing both of these as strictly back exercise.

Snatch grip high rack pulls I guess. The snatch grip engages the traps and some lats in the movement while a very high rack decreases the ROM (take into consideration the increased ROM from using a snatch grip), allowing you to use more weight and take away the legs from the movement. Since it’s gonna be hard handling a lot of weight with a snatch grip, straps may come in handy.