T Nation

Which Deadlift Do I Choose?

Hi Guys

This is my first time on this site and my first post.

I was just wondering which of the following exercises would you choose for the quickest muscle gain.

Would you choose the standard deadlift or the stiff legged deadlift.

I like both versions but i don’t know which one to choose at the moment for my training routine.

Keith

Should use both. If you squat heavy one week stiff leg or RDLs as assistance lift. The following week conventional deadlift heavy and squat light.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Should use both. If you squat heavy one week stiff leg or RDLs as assistance lift. The following week conventional deadlift heavy and squat light.[/quote]

I do almost exactly this, except I do sumo’s heavy instead of conventional deadlifts. And actually it’s every 4-5 days for me, not every week, but same idea.

I think it also depends on your experience level, I wouldn’t recommend doing a RDL without having good conventional form

[quote]dreadlocks1221 wrote:
I think it also depends on your experience level, I wouldn’t recommend doing a RDL without having good conventional form[/quote]

Eh I’ve actually always found RDL’s easier to do than conventional. Although I agree the OP has given us very little info to work with, and I feel like there’s a whole lot of things he should be more concerned about than this specific question he asked.

You mean you have to choose one? fuuuuck. I’ve been doing it wrong. Guess I need to start over.

Hi Guys

Many thanks for the replies. With my currant routine i only have room for 1 of the deadlifts.

I have been training fully for the last 4 years and been training on and off for to many years to count.

Thanks again.

Keith.

If hypertrophy’s the goal a stiff-leg variation should probably be a staple on leg day in your weekly split. As far as deadlifts, you don’t have to do them every week to reap the benefits. You can cycle the movement pattern: snatch grip one week, conventional the next, rack pulls the next, then maybe you’re just fried one week and just do some weighted hyperextensions instead.

SLDL/Sumo seem like more of a hamstring exercise, at least to me

Yeah, the stiff legged deadlifts hit the hamstrings more than the quads.

I suppose maybe i should do both but not on the same workout or the next day but have a day or 2’s rest in between the exercises.

Keith.

[quote]keithkickbox01 wrote:
Yeah, the stiff legged deadlifts hit the hamstrings more than the quads.

I suppose maybe i should do both but not on the same workout or the next day but have a day or 2’s rest in between the exercises.

Keith.[/quote]

What is your current weekly split?

My currant split is:

Monday: Thighs, claves, abs & shoulders.
Tuesday: chest, back, biceps & triceps.
Thursday: as monday.
Saturday: as tuesday.

Sometimes i will miss the tuesday workout out, if i am doing other training.

I have been on this split for about 3 weeks now.

Keith.

From watching a number of videos of people doing RDLs ive noticed that women are not quite as good at doing the correct hip hinging action where you are thrusting the pelvis forward at the top of the lift. Not sure if anyone else noted this. Pondered how much of this was psychological vs physical.

[quote]keithkickbox01 wrote:
My currant split is:

Monday: Thighs, claves, abs & shoulders.
Tuesday: chest, back, biceps & triceps.
Thursday: as monday.
Saturday: as tuesday.

Sometimes i will miss the tuesday workout out, if i am doing other training.

I have been on this split for about 3 weeks now.

Keith.[/quote]

So hit conventional BB deads one leg day, stiff-leg rdl’s the other.

[quote]Field wrote:
From watching a number of videos of people doing RDLs ive noticed that women are not quite as good at doing the correct hip hinging action where you are thrusting the pelvis forward at the top of the lift. Not sure if anyone else noted this. Pondered how much of this was psychological vs physical.[/quote]

I actively think about humping the bar at the top.
Maybe most girls don’t have that neural pathway formed

[quote]Field wrote:
From watching a number of videos of people doing RDLs ive noticed that women are not quite as good at doing the correct hip hinging action where you are thrusting the pelvis forward at the top of the lift. Not sure if anyone else noted this. Pondered how much of this was psychological vs physical.[/quote]

It’s just that it has never been learned. My girlfriend never had a problem with this on squats or deadlifts, because I emphasized it when she first learned to lift.