T Nation

Which Conspiracy Theories Do You Beleive?

Also how does this affect your life?

It seems like there are a growthi n the number of forums like the one below,

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/world_news_war/which_senators_are_sacrificing_children?id=3519820&pageNo=0

And i'd l,ike to find out more about the kind of people who beleive these things, and why they believe these things

[quote]lnname wrote:
It seems like there are a growthi n the number of forums like the one below,

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/world_news_war/which_senators_are_sacrificing_children?id=3519820&pageNo=0

And i’d l,ike to find out more about the kind of people who beleive these things, and why they believe these things[/quote]

Why do people believe them? Take a read of newbatman’s posts. He’s crazier than a shithouse rat. Bingo! There’s your answer right there.

Why?

1. Reality is complex. Reducing complexity to a basic framwork to better understand it is human nature, neither good or bad in itself. It leads to conspiracy theories, however. Heavily intertwined with confirmation bias.
  2. You want to put a face onto a problem, or just anthropomorphize it.
    Wether it’s a deity or a mysterious board of jewish villains, most people cannot or will not accept abstract concepts. Since we’re monkeys that live in a group, we also have to manage blame.
    Both concepts play into each other.

edited for clarity

Yup, it’s sad how people don’t accept abstract concepts. That’s why they stay dumb.

Conspiracy is the result of lying or attempting to conceal the truth.

Schwarzfahrer I like your explination as to why this appeals to many.

Conspiracies exist because it is in our nature to question the things that are presented to us. This is the truest when a higher authority in relation to our social standing presents us with facts. This compounded with the fact that the truth isn’t valued anymore and thus most people (insane or not) won’t accept the truth at face value. Oh and yeah, there are a lot of crazy people who wear tin foil hats to keep “Big Brother” from reading their thoughts.

In the words of the wise prophet Stone Cold Steve Austin…“DTA, Don’t Trust Anyone”

Well, there was the Golf of Toncin incident, Iran Contra, COINTELPRO, tests of bacteriological weapons on US cities, the Tuskegee experiments, arguably the creation of the FED…

So, not only do conspiracies exist, they also succeed quite frequently.

Now, most of them might be utter horseshit, but to dismiss them all at first glance is dangerously naive.

[quote]orion wrote:
Well, there was the Golf of Toncin incident, Iran Contra, COINTELPRO, tests of bacteriological weapons on US cities, the Tuskegee experiments, arguably the creation of the FED…

Now, most of them might be utter horseshit, but to dismiss them all at first glance is dangerously naive.

[/quote]

Yep.

I also have an additional theory on why people like conspiracies.

If it were possible to overthrow those in control then the people would have those things that are being denied them.
Like aliens…if you think they are already among us etc. then only lies told by those in control are between us and meeting ETs.
Or the idea of cars powered by water or something and some people think the government in collusion with oil companies bought the patent or whatever. If we get the truth out then we’ll get that engine.

Also, it lets the people that believe feel smarter than the “sheep” that don’t know enough and accept what those in power say.

[quote]orion wrote:

[/quote]

Absolutely Mulder. Don’t forget the Sasquash, the Kennedy assassination, the moon landing, Roswell and most importantly: the controlled demolitions/magic thermite/planes that weren’t really planes on 9/11(raises one eyebrow - crazy person look)…I’ve got just one thing to say to you laddie and that’s don’t worry, don’t ever worry. I’m in a position to know! Secret information, the Rosacrucions, the great white brotherhood, the high secret orders…but you’ve no faith! You must have faith! Faith and power. Secret power. Men who guard the trust from the deepest insides of the whatchamacallit. Mystic rulers! All one club, chained together by one purpose, one idea. Mankind’s champions…

[quote]Nards wrote:
I also have an additional theory on why people like conspiracies.

If it were possible to overthrow those in control then the people would have those things that are being denied them.
Like aliens…if you think they are already among us etc. then only lies told by those in control are between us and meeting ETs.
Or the idea of cars powered by water or something and some people think the government in collusion with oil companies bought the patent or whatever. If we get the truth out then we’ll get that engine.

Also, it lets the people that believe feel smarter than the “sheep” that don’t know enough and accept what those in power say.[/quote]

Cars powered by water is in effect using the hydrogen isotopes in water in neuclear fusion. This is being used and tested as a ‘safe’ replacment of neuclear fission which is already used to power many homes. (tyhis is my understanding)

Also i think that BP once owned the patent rights to the hydrogen feul cell but found it unprofitable to develop whilst crude oil/ petrol prices are so high so they dont fund the research and development of it.

the problem is that once a conspiracy theorist comes out then everyone groups him into the “Moon Landing”, “Elvis is still alive” groups and shoot down everything they have to say.

Personally I do believe that there are consipiracies.
I also believe that there’s an incredible chance that none of us are important enough to know the truth, and will probably perish when the world comes to an end.

the problem is that once a conspiracy theorist comes out then everyone groups him into the “Moon Landing”, “Elvis is still alive” groups and shoot down everything they have to say.

Personally I do believe that there are consipiracies.
I also believe that there’s an incredible chance that none of us are important enough to know the truth, and will probably perish when the world comes to an end.

The mob was DEFINITELY behind the murder of JFK