Which Captain of Crush Gripper?

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
im curious, what are the actual poundages “required” to close per inch or whatever. i know i have tried a couple of those grip strength testers at therapy after i broke my hand… so im curious what kind of conversion there is…[/quote]

Here are the poundages according to Ironmind:

Guide: 60 lbs
Sport: 80 lbs
Trainer: 100 lbs
#1: 140 lbs
#1.5: ??? some where between the 1 and 2
#2: 195 lbs
#2.5: some where between the 2 and 3
#3: 280 lbs
#3.5: some where between the 3 and 4
#4: 365 lbs

I’d also agree with what others have said concerning the carry over from support grip to crushing grip, it’s not always all that much.

I remember Charlie Lysak telling me that he handed the #2 to a guy at the Universal Martial Arts Hall Of Fame induction ceremony who was a former raw world record holder in the deadlift (I believe that guy had deadlifted over 800 lbs without straps) and he couldn’t close the #2. I do believe that the guy could close the #1 though.

Lysak couldn’t believe that this guy couldn’t close the #2. I remember him telling me, “man I thought if anyone could do it, it would be a guy like that guy.”

To date, only 11 people have ever been able to close the #2 in front of Lysak (not that he’s some governing body or anything), including himself, and he’s handed it to some pretty big strong athletes in the past.

I’ll have to ask him if he’s ever handed it go Big Nog or Hendo ever. Both of those guys are reported to have great grip strength.

Hopefully that should give people unfamiliar with the COC grippers some sort of idea just how challenging these grippers are. And just how little support strength levels can have to do with crushing grip strength.

Good training.

Sentoguy

P.S. One eye, are you working on the #3 yet? I know you’ve stated before that the gripper you’re closing in your avatar is the #2. Have you closed the #2.5 yet? I’ve got the #2 closed, but can’t quite get the #2.5 yet.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
P.S. One eye, are you working on the #3 yet? I know you’ve stated before that the gripper you’re closing in your avatar is the #2. Have you closed the #2.5 yet? I’ve got the #2 closed, but can’t quite get the #2.5 yet.[/quote]

I doubt I could close the #2.5, but I don’t have one to try. I built my gripper collection before Ironmind came out with the in-between grippers, so I used other brands for my in-betweens. I have a BBSM (BeefBuilder Super Master) that I’m getting close on, and a tough HG300 that I’m still pretty far from getting.

I keep saying I’m going to work toward the #3 but I guess I don’t want it badly enough. It’s still a goal of mine to get certified, but it isn’t a main focus right now. I’ve had a long layoff from serious lifting due to work circumstances and other stuff out of my control, so I’m working on getting my poundages up again in the big lifts.

How about buying the #1 if you cant close it then buy the trainer after.

Just buy the number 1 man even if you can close it-and its fairly rare- its the best for warm up when you do move on up.

I have the #1 which wasn’t a problem but I trained with standard grippers for years. Basically if you can do a few sets of 15-20 reps with standard grips get the #1. You train with a lower volume anyway and it won’t take long to build up your strength.

[quote]mishaps wrote:
How about buying the #1 if you cant close it then buy the trainer after.[/quote]

Done. Thread Over.