Which Captain of Crush Gripper?

I’m wondering whether I should buy the Captain of Crush Gripper number 1 or 2 or maybe not even buy number one and get an easier brand. Is there any way I could gauge a similar test of forearm strength like a reverse curl weight used or a rack deadlift number used? Or should I just gamble the $20 and see if I can use it?

I’d stick with a number 1 or the trainer. A friend of mine has both, and the trainer is pretty freakin’ tough. But I don’t know how you can gauge your strength to figure out which one to get.

I think Ironmind has guidelines when you go on the web site to purchase them.

I would buy a trainer and a #1 to start with, I think this is best for most unless they already have a real good grip. Even than the trainer will still be good for warmups.

Another alternative is to buy a set of Heavy Grips. You can usually get a whole set for pretty cheap and that way you have a way to progress on hand. But once you get hooked on grippers, you will end up slowly buying all the COC and others…

unless you’re a newbie, the trainers are a waste of money. start with the no. 1 and work your way up.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
unless you’re a newbie, the trainers are a waste of money. start with the no. 1 and work your way up.[/quote]

Most people can’t close #1 to begin with, even if they workout, I have #1 and #2 and anyone I’ve let try them cannot close the #1 on their first try. There is little carry over from gym lifts to crushing grip, especially since most people don’t do grip work.

From ironmind:
http://74.205.126.46/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/Main/captainsofcrush.html

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
robo1 wrote:
unless you’re a newbie, the trainers are a waste of money. start with the no. 1 and work your way up.

Most people can’t close #1 to begin with, even if they workout, I have #1 and #2 and anyone I’ve let try them cannot close the #1 on their first try. There is little carry over from gym lifts to crushing grip, especially since most people don’t do grip work.

From ironmind:
http://74.205.126.46/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/Main/captainsofcrush.html[/quote]

I’d agree. I’ve brought my #1 and #2 to the gym with me and left them lying around while I train. I love to see the look on guys’ faces when they pick up the gripper and try to close it. Most guys can’t close the #1, even if they lift. Some of the stronger guys can close it. But, I’ve only see one guy from the gym close the #2, and he was a division 1 football linebacker.

I’ll second the recommendation of getting the #1 and Trainer. Like someone said above, even if you can close the #1 right out of the box (which would be impressive), you’ll still be able to get a good workout using it. And the Trainer is always good to do warm-up sets on.

Good training,

Sentoguy

I made a thread like this few weeks ago, I got the number 1 and believe me its tough. After about 2 weeks of training though I can rep it with right hand-only about 10 then my hand is hurting- but not left yet-hurt wrist over working left- and probably going to get number 2. Yet good to have number 1 for warm up, most of my friends-who are pretty strong- could not even close number 1 once. I have very large hands though and consider myself fairly strong so that could be why the number 1 was fairly moderate for me-i was able to close number 1 with both hands out of the box-.

Basically if your thinking about it I bet you have a decent grip and the trainer might not be your best bet, but the number 1 is a great buy you might be able to close it but probably not and even so its great warm up.

If you can do clean grip shrugs with 315 (no straps), get the #1’s. Less than that, go for the trainer. If you can do clean grip shrugs or just hold the bar with 405 or above for 10-15sec, you may be ready for the #2.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
robo1 wrote:

From ironmind:
http://74.205.126.46/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/Main/captainsofcrush.html
[/quote]

Agreed, well grip is deffiantly not my strong point I wouldn’t consider myself a newbie and it took me a good couple weeks to close the #1 without a trainer I wouldn’t have been able to advance to the #1… Also have small hands FYI

There’s a guy I work with who was a high school PLer and could DL 610 without straps. He hasn’t been able to close the #1 yet and he’s been trying for 2 weeks. He has small hands, which is a factor, but my point is that you should go with the Trainer and #1. Get the #2 also if you have the spare cash. That will be enough to work with for a while, until you get the bug and decide to go for the #3, which is a whole different animal.

Hmm thats weird!

I just turned 18, haven’t lifted in a long long time, but managed to close the #1 3 times.

[quote]thetruth24 wrote:
Hmm thats weird!

I just turned 18, haven’t lifted in a long long time, but managed to close the #1 3 times.[/quote]

not really that weird, if you ever worked with hands much or used maybe plastic grippers in past could easily be done. Also closing it means the metal touches one of my friends thought he closed it but the metal didn’t touch hah.

The thing that gets people is confusing supporting grip (which in the case of the deadlift, actually depends a lot on friction with the palm) and crushing grip. If you develop a strong crushing grip, you’ll be able to hold on to more in the deadlift. The reverse is not necessarily true. Hence, really strong guys who can’t close #1’s…

[quote]shizen wrote:
thetruth24 wrote:
Hmm thats weird!

I just turned 18, haven’t lifted in a long long time, but managed to close the #1 3 times.

not really that weird, if you ever worked with hands much or used maybe plastic grippers in past could easily be done. Also closing it means the metal touches one of my friends thought he closed it but the metal didn’t touch hah. [/quote]

Haha yeah…Thing is though, I never worked with grippers before. Yep, metal to metal, I closed it. My best deadlift was 3 plates on each side, using the hexagon bar. Not sure about how much that bar weighs. I weigh 160

[quote]OneEye wrote:
There’s a guy I work with who was a high school PLer and could DL 610 without straps. He hasn’t been able to close the #1 yet and he’s been trying for 2 weeks. He has small hands, which is a factor, but my point is that you should go with the Trainer and #1. Get the #2 also if you have the spare cash. That will be enough to work with for a while, until you get the bug and decide to go for the #3, which is a whole different animal.[/quote]

I think I’ll trust you since there’s a Captain closed in your hands. I guess I’ll be dropping $40 instead of just 20.

[quote]thetruth24 wrote:
shizen wrote:
thetruth24 wrote:
Hmm thats weird!

not really that weird, if you ever worked with hands much or used maybe plastic grippers in past could easily be done. Also closing it means the metal touches one of my friends thought he closed it but the metal didn’t touch hah.

Haha yeah…Thing is though, I never worked with grippers before. Yep, metal to metal, I closed it. My best deadlift was 3 plates on each side, using the hexagon bar. Not sure about how much that bar weighs. I weigh 160

[/quote]

Great. now you threw me off.

I guess I’ll have to get number one and the trainer since I can’t really gauge what I’ll need.

Am I correct in assuming that the best way to get massive forearms is with low reps?

im curious, what are the actual poundages “required” to close per inch or whatever. i know i have tried a couple of those grip strength testers at therapy after i broke my hand… so im curious what kind of conversion there is…

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
im curious, what are the actual poundages “required” to close per inch or whatever. i know i have tried a couple of those grip strength testers at therapy after i broke my hand… so im curious what kind of conversion there is…[/quote]

Closing #1 is 140 pounds. Closing the trainer is like 80 I think. Another brand who makes a 100 pound gripper claims that most adult men should be able to close the 100 pound gripper on their first try but Captain of Crush says most people who lift weights (that could mean anything) can’t close #1. Most people who lift weights can’t do a double bodyweight deadlift either.

I think most grippers with plastic handles that guitar players and casual climbers and rehab places use are around 6-10 pounds.