Which Books to Buy?

I’m looking at buying two books, one on mma s&c and the other on nutrition. For nutrition I’m thinking Berardi’s book grappler’s guide to sport nutrition but for the book on training I’m not as sure. Possibly training for warriors or ultimate mma conditioning. My question is I you could get one book on each topic which would it be?

I read Jason Ferrugia’s book “Fit to fight.” I thought it was pretty good, and it covers both aspects. Wasn’t expensive either as I recall.

i have both of Martin Rooney’s books, and they they’re both great. they are a little pricey, though, and have a lot of info, but not a lot on program design.

what exactly are you looking for? general info, or a program overhaul?

IMO, Jason Ferruggia is overrated. On the other hand, Rooney got that shit on lock.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:
what exactly are you looking for? general info, or a program overhaul?[/quote]

I already have several books with general information which of course were helpful when I first started training. However, now I’m looking for more mma specific weight lifting and conditioning programs. So I guess what I’m looking for is something mma specific preferably with good conditioning information.

Has anyone read ultimate mma conditioning? I’m having a hard time even finding reviews on it but it seems pretty good from what I can find.

Sorry to thread jack, but what would be a good no-gi BJJ technique book. My school has a BJJ club and I help coach the newer guys.

Rooneys books are great and the new one comes with a ton of exerc. you have probably never thought of. As mentioned, while he does give a workout plan which you can use as a guide for program design, he assumes that you have read his first book, which goes into a little more detail as to overall program design. If youve got the cash buy both, I really think they are worth it. They are nice books to own as well, unique info, neat pictures.

I like Rooneys programs because it is one based on simplicity designed in a way to allow you to spend more time practicing on the mat and less time with a barbell. My opinion is that the best s&c program is one which gives maximal imo. with minimal time. This is the basis of Rooneys system. Get in, get out and go back to grappling and striking practice.

Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 or Eric Cressey’s Maximux Strength. programs that will give you direction (PROGRAM) for your strength training. Conditioning their are so many complexes articles on here that you can mix and match. and for nutrition same goes for this site. Cressey gives you some good ass advice

[quote]beermuscleU wrote:
IMO, Jason Ferruggia is overrated. On the other hand, Rooney got that shit on lock.

[/quote]
I second this

Infinite Intensity by Ross Enamait.

Very cheap, written with combat athletes in mind, contains some brutal workouts as well as all of the knowledge you need to put your own program together explained simply.

Ultimate MMA conditioning by Joel Jamieson. Actually uses science in his programs.

Can anybody suggest a good book about nutrion, preferably for martial arts but since I haven’t read a lot about sports nutrion overall, it would be nice if it would still cover all the basics I should know to direct my eating in to a more healthy direction.

Read Rooney’s Ultimate warrior workouts, was a bit dissapointed. Ton of great exercises and all, but not all that much information to really form your own programs or get that kind of understanding about your own training that would help you train better. So, since he has been getting all this praise on this topic, I’m wondering if his Training for Warriors would be more of the kind of book I’m looking for about MMA training, covering more deeply his ideas behind S&C training?

[quote]Fistiecuffs wrote:
Can anybody suggest a good book about nutrion, preferably for martial arts but since I haven’t read a lot about sports nutrion overall, it would be nice if it would still cover all the basics I should know to direct my eating in to a more healthy direction.

Read Rooney’s Ultimate warrior workouts, was a bit dissapointed. Ton of great exercises and all, but not all that much information to really form your own programs or get that kind of understanding about your own training that would help you train better. So, since he has been getting all this praise on this topic, I’m wondering if his Training for Warriors would be more of the kind of book I’m looking for about MMA training, covering more deeply his ideas behind S&C training?[/quote]

Yes, his second book kind of builds on the programming ideas from the first. Ultimate warrior is more a compilation of nice facts pics and exercises from traditional martial arts that we dont see. It is a nice read but not all inclusive to training. The first book definetely goes a little more in depth.
One thing I would point out is that the 16 weeks of workouts he gives in the back of ultimate warrior gives you something to work from. He has always preached more sport practice than S&c, and Ultimate warrior just continues that philosphy. Look at the plan in the back, he has an upper a lower and a hurricane day. Mix up the exercises and reps to see what works best for you. There is no perfect program so often using a bare bones approach forces people to evaluate and pay attention to their own strengths, weaknesses and progressions more than they may with a finely
drawn out program.

Berardi’s book was shit in my opinion. It is basically Precision Nutrition with some half-assed weight cutting stuff thrown in.

Nutrition in any combat sport comes does to getting your bodyfat very low (some might contend that a little fat protects you, but it is by and large a strength to weight ratio so bodyfat generally=bad Any number of articles on T-Nation can help you with that.

Once your bodyfat is in the single digits probably 6-8% would be healthy and let you maintain some level of energy, then you need to start figuring out how you cut weight most effectively. I think that The Art and Science of Making Weight by Cosgrove and Grantham is the best I’ve seen out there (actually one of the only ones I’ve seen, but it does a good job).

As far as S&C, Ross Enamait’s books rank highly for me, but I think you’re better off just training the sport and not worrying about S&C much.

For what it’s worth I like Bas’s Big Books of Combat. #1 deals with S&C and stand-up. #2 deals with the ground game. Doesn’t really go into details on programming, but if you want a no-nonsense handle on the basics, you don’t need much more. From memory, nothing on nutrition however.