Which Bar Works Better

For deadlifting, what would be better to use- Striaght Bar or Trap bar, for overall developmnet

IMO straight bar. For the simple fact that it will allow you to do variations of the standard DL more easily and be more useful for your other lifts as well. For example Dimels, I don’t think I would even attempt to do dimels with a trap bar. maybe it’s just me but I always feel so awkward when I am using the trap bar.

marry me.

use a straight bar

a trap bar is for ‘shruggers’ who are scared of scuffing their legs a little.

The straight bar is for everything else.

also, i’ve noticed that people who work up to a large amount of weight on a trap bar aren’t able to carry the load over to a normal deadlift, whereas people who deadlift with a real bar obviously don’t have this problem.

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
also, i’ve noticed that people who work up to a large amount of weight on a trap bar aren’t able to carry the load over to a normal deadlift, whereas people who deadlift with a real bar obviously don’t have this problem.[/quote]

i have to agree with that, i had a bicep problem a couple years ago and swtiched to the hex bar for about 3 or 4 months and it didn’t transfer over well when i went back to the straight bar. with the hex bar i think a) is much easier on your grip and b) you can better position yourself `under’ the weight than with a straight bar thus making the lift a bit easier

im not concerned about how much wieght i can lift, but wich will get my legs stronger

i like them both. dl’s are dl’s so far as i’m concerned it’s the straight bar. you can really blast your legs though w/ the trap bar. especially if you flip it so the handles are down so you go lower. even lower off a box. and you can move the weight fore and aft which is pretty useful. also it’s easier to hold for longer/heavier sets. but if it’s a question of buying one or the other personally i’d go w/the staight bar. it’s useful for alot more stuff and you can still crush your legs with it. i just finished ct’s recent leg workout. the one where you go squat to rom dl to hacks. preety frickn killer.

sox just half a game out now. damn amazing when ya look at the pitching we got.

[quote]swivel wrote:
you can really blast your legs though w/ the trap bar. especially if you flip it so the handles are down so you go lower. even lower off a box. [/quote]

You can do this easily with a straight bar by pulling from a defecit. All it takes is stacking several(2-3) inches of pads or mats.

Or load the bar with 25lb plates instead of 45s. This puts the bar below the middle of my shins (I’m 5’5" so I think I get more out of deads doing them this way unless I’m working tward a competition).

I can see how this might not be possible for some people using high weights, but I would imagine one could load more than 445 with 25s (might also make the bar bend more since the weight is more spread out;)

The trap bar seems acward to me too. It feels like the handles are too far out to the sides (at least the one I’ve used).

I wouldn’t know about taller people and how the bb deadlift might be more difficult though.