Barbell Row - 3x6
Pull downs - 3x8
Seated cable row - 2x40 (burn sets)

or

Deadlift - 4x5
Pull ups (bodyweights) - 3x6
Barbell row - 3x8
Seated cable row - 2x40 (burn sets)

The first routine is the one suggested by muscleandstrength.com. However, I’m thinking the second routine might stimulate more lat growth seeing as I’m always reading how pull downs are no match for pull ups.

What do you guys think?

THEY ARE THE SAME THING!

They are basically the exact same workout. As far as pull ups vs pull downs it depends on your goals. If you are training primarily for lat development then go with the one that allows you to control the weight better and feel your lats working. If you’re doing a bunch of damn kipping pull ups with a crap load of body english, then the pull downs will be better.

2x40 seems ridiculous- Kroc rows would do more for your back & grip than the 2x40 cable row

Is this is a serious question?

I guess if you can effectively do pullups then probably that one?

Why dont you try 'em both and see which one feels better?

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:
Is this is a serious question?

I guess if you can effectively do pullups then probably that one?

Why dont you try 'em both and see which one feels better?[/quote]

probably the best idea. OP, as for the pulldowns/pullups, im no expert and i dont think anyone else here is either, but if im not mistaken, there have been some articles fairly recently on here about just that subject. so you might wanna check that out.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
THEY ARE THE SAME THING![/quote]

The minor difference between the two is whether you’ll hit your lats or upper back while it’s fresher. So you should alternate them (you should be rotating them already, though, so it’s still a silly question).

And 2x40 is way into the endurance range, which is fine if that’s what you want. If you want a killer pump, try five sets of as many reps as you can crank out with decent form. Use a weight you can lift for 15 reps on the first set, and rest 45 seconds between sets. Focus on the squeeze.

They’re the same but since you placed the barbell rows 2nd in the first workout I’d say that one

Deadlift - 3x3, 4x1
Pull ups (bodyweights) - as many as possible in 10 minutes
Barbell row - 4x12-15
Back raise - 5x10
Face pull - (100 reps total)

thats what id do

I would not do barbell rows right after deadlifts, I’d give the lower back a break.

In fact, I do deadlifts on my “hams/posterior chain” session, I don’t even do’em @ the same time as “back”

Small variations between workout routines won’t make a difference with your results. Especially as a beginner. Just work hard and consistently.

1 Like

The amount of worry and energy you have use considering this probably had a greater impact you your training than the difference between those options.

edit…sigh

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
The amount of worry and energy you have use considering this probably had a greater impact you your training than the difference between those options.[/quote]
This. 100 times 100% this.

But really man, shouldn’t you be just about finished with your plan to add 9 pounds in 4 weeks:
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/4week_workout_plan_designed_to_put_on_mass

How’s that turning out?

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
Absolutely terrible back workouts for one ( no offense )[/quote]
Ethan, please explain why these are “absolutely terrible”.

[quote]B
1)Deadlift 4x5 (ramped to heavy 1x5)
2)Shrug 3x10[/quote]
If this is a back workout, then I’m a pretty ballerina.

Would it be too dickish if I told you that when you are more advanced, perhaps you can offer more advice? Because I do kinda want to mention that, but I seriously don’t want to be mean about it.

You really might want to slow down a bit on offering advice that sounds like you’ve been at it for years. You’ve made some solid progress so far, which is great, but you need to remember that you’re still in the learning curve yourself.

It’s seriously awesome that you’ve got enthusiasm for lifting and want to chip in, but in this thread and at least one other so far, you’re offering some iffy advice.

I’ve always felt Pullups better in my lats but it really comes down to personal preference.

chris, i’m really sorry, once again it was not me that wrote that.

i changed my password so even if my friends here he cant log in my account lol(he’s the same person that actually got me into working out) idk what to say ignore him

[quote]Ethan7X wrote:
chris, i’m really sorry, once again it was not me that wrote that.

i changed my password so even if my friends here he cant log in my account lol(he’s the same person that actually got me into working out) idk what to say ignore him[/quote]

lol wut!

Sorry for the delayed update!

TBH I found a lot of the criticisms unconstructive, but I found JayPierce’s advice very helpful, so thanks JayPierce. I ended up rotating like you said, and I experienced some good gains.

Re the 2x40 reps of seated rows, I probably should have explained. The idea was that you picked a weight that you could do a max of 25 reps of in one go, then after doing as many as you can do in one go you took a breather (say, 10 secs) and then repeated this process until you got to 40 reps.

Once you got to 40 sets you had completed 1 set - even if you had to pause 2 or 3 times on the way to getting to 40. I’d never done that kind of weight training before, but I’d feel a good burn during it (hence the name “burn sets”) and I would feel at the end of my workout that I’d really blitzed my muscles, so I wouldn’t rule out burn sets again in the future.

Don’t mention it. Glad to help.