Which Area Should I Go To School?

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
What field of study are you looking for?[/quote]
Affordable out of pocket schools with both Mech Engineering and Comp Sci[/quote]

Engineering? Cal Poly (California Polytechnic State University), San Luis Obispo, CA.

[/quote]

That’s either your alma matter or you’re a recruiter :slight_smile:

Both ME and CS, as in a joint program, or just good programs for each? This is for undergrad, right?

You should also consider the environment. At least for me, that’s important to preserve sanity.

If you’re talking engineering and CS, and “affordable” implies public schools, I think Cal (UC Berkeley) probably has the best program in the public school systems (UC, CSU) in California.

Cal’s EECS (EE + CS) program is pretty well known and competitive. Also tough, as in they installed showers in the the comp labs because the CS students would stay for so long and stink up the place (so you know there’s a lot of talented people there). I personally don’t like the area, but the program is really good and really fucking competitive.

Cal Poly is gorgeous but I don’t know their program.

I think UCSD has a good CS program but I’m not sure.

If you can do it, I’d apply for scholarships and see if you can take out loans and do private school, if only because the administrative process and paperwork is a lot less infuriating than it is at CSUs and UCs (both public). It’s the difference between getting in the classes you want and having an adviser really care about your paperwork process (this counts when you approach graduation). I’m speaking from experience. Not sure how public systems are outside of CA.[/quote]

Yes I went there.
SLO is my hometown.

CSU much less expensive than UC (although we’re talking OOS fees here so who knows)

I’m actually in the same boat as OP, only I’m looking for good Exercise Science and Social Work programs. I’ve got a bit of time before I get out of the military, but I would like to at least have some ideas of where I want to call home.

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:

[quote]mallen5 wrote:
Affordable out of pocket schools with both Mech Engineering and Comp Sci[/quote]

Why Mech/Comp Sci dual major? What are you intending to do for a career? That pairing could work well but only in certain fields.

What do you consider affordable? Just to make sure, you do know the ability to receive financial aid changes quite a bit at 25?

[quote]Ether Bunny wrote:

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:

[quote]mallen5 wrote:

Why Mech/Comp Sci dual major? What are you intending to do for a career? That pairing could work well but only in certain fields.

What do you consider affordable? Just to make sure, you do know the ability to receive financial aid changes quite a bit at 25?[/quote]
I’m interested in Robotics. I’m going t knock out the Comp Sci first and then may or may not go through the Mech Engineering.

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
I’m interested in Robotics. I’m going t knock out the Comp Sci first and then may or may not go through the Mech Engineering.[/quote]

For robotics a Comp Sci and Electrical Engineering pair would give you more flexibility for jobs. The controls portion of a ME degree that would be useful is also covered in the EE degree. The rest of the ME degree will be designing boring shit like power plants and AC units.

Uh, so why not just go for Computer Engineering? The kids at my uni are doing software stuff and the hardware stuff. One of them did a robotics internship (?) out of state over the summer.

If you can get the benefits of EE and CS out of a CE degree, then why waste more money in the form of more units (dual degrees) ?

Maybe you should minor in Econ while you’re at it :slight_smile:

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
So, Ceteris Paribus as far as academics, quality and cost (all these schools are highly affordable), which one of these schools, regionally and cultural would you choose to spend 2-3 years of your life for 9 months a year. All these schools offer good or great programs in the field I study so, I’m wondering about the area. Which appeals to you the most?

& BTW I’m bilingual in Spanish, I realize PR schools are bilingual education.

Universidad Politecnica de Puerto Rico
University Of Puerto Rico: Arecibo
University of Puerto Rico: Mayaguez
University of Puerto Rico: Rio Piedras

New Mexico Highlands University (Portales)
Eastern New Mexico University (Las Vegas)
University of New Orleans
Nicholls State University (Thibodaux Louisiana)
Elizabeth City State University (North Carolina)
[/quote]

The cheapest one that is reasonably ranked and/or closest to where you want to live.

I paid big bucks for MIT, and it was meaningless. All anyone ever wanted to see was my law school transcript and my military service record. I could have saved $80K by going to a school in Israel – and that was graduating in 3 years.