T Nation

WHFS Question

I have a question about Chad Waterbury's "Bodybuilding's Next Frontier" routine. I have been reading some of his articles in which he suggest the trainee to select a given load (ex. 80% of 1RM) and perform as many sets as it takes to reach a desired rep goal (ex. 25). Therefore the trainee may do 5x5, 4x6, 6x4 with the 80% of 1RM load. This makes a lot of sense to me and I wish to try this in my training.

So, the WHFS Routine calls for specific sets and reps. Would it be okay t use the load Chad recommends but perform as many sets needed to hit the rep goal?

EX:

Day 1 - 4x6 @ 8RM

Can I perform as many sets needed to reach 24 reps using a 8RM load. This may be 5x5, 6x4, or 4x6 depending on many factors.

After reading the question many times, I still don't understand what you mean.

I would just stick with one program. I don't know what WHFS is, but if you want to do that, use its specified parameters. If you feel the program by Waterbury would benefit you more, then do that one and use its parameters.

Generally, the people who write these programs have specific reasons for using the exercise selection, load parameters and rep schemes that they do. It's best to run through a program exactly how it is written at least once and see how well your body reacts to it. Once you get an idea of what parts of the program work for your specifically (and what parts don't work so well), you might start making small adjustments based on your body's preference.

Chad's ideas about picking a weight and getting 25 reps with it came years after that article.

I think there are MUCH better ways of weight training than that article, but if you want to work out 8 times a week go for it. He has, in my opinion, much more sensible approaches (3-4 workouts a week)