Whey vs. Weight Gainer

Hey, waylanderxx
You can buy 10lbs of dextrose or maltodextrin for about $15 and also get a cheap whey protein (5lb) for about $25. Now this will have about 75grams of carb and 25 grams of protein for about 70~80 servings, much cheaper than what you are getting, but also you know exactly what you are getting (minus the just in your whey protein)

Just a thought

Once I get off this cut, I’m gonna make myself this shake pre-workout:

Banana
Dates
Peanuts or almonds
Mango/Pineapple/Coconut oil… whichever
MILK!
Whey

I cannot wait. Mm-mm bitch, that’s some good eatin’.

BTW, Metabolic Drive complete isn’t a bad MRP. Throw in some coconut or olive oil, and/or a banana, into a blender with 3 scoops of that and you’re good to go.

I hear ya G87! I’ve got 9 weeks till my show, and I’m fighting the urge to plan out my bulk up plans -lol. I originally got a container of Metabolic Drive Complete by accident last year, and it was actually really good. A lot more filling than the low-carb if that’s what you’re used to. By itself, even though it is more cals than straight protein powder, it would still be lagging numerically, unless of course you’re taking it with a meal. I remember one of earlier bulk cycles where I would actually drink Myoplex shakes as beverages with a couple of my meals each day.

S

[quote]gabex wrote:
bumping my question for waylanderxx[/quote]

I pm’d you a while ago.

[quote]ghdtpdna wrote:
Hey, waylanderxx
You can buy 10lbs of dextrose or maltodextrin for about $15 and also get a cheap whey protein (5lb) for about $25. Now this will have about 75grams of carb and 25 grams of protein for about 70~80 servings, much cheaper than what you are getting, but also you know exactly what you are getting (minus the just in your whey protein)

Just a thought[/quote]

Yah once I’m out of the dorm rooms and am able to actually have a kitchen and stock items I’ll do that.

Man, when I started training in college (early 90’s), I would buy a $15 container of “95% Isolated Soy” powder from GNC each month. I’d blend it up with chocolate syrup, milk, and a banana… we really knew nothing back then (no internet!)

S

Don’t waste your money with gainers. Buy quality whey and add your own carbs (raisins, dattes, prunes, fruits, real honey, molasses…) and fat sources (EVOO, macadamia oil, coconut oil, almond, walnut, egg yolk, heavy cream…)

A home-made weight gainer is healthier. This is not only calories but it’s also loaded with a bunch of micronutrients.
BTW a gallon of full fat milk is also a great weight gainer!

But if you love the look of those big ass containers and their ridiculous claims go for it!

I’m stuck between wanting to get bigger, and try to stay reasonably lean. I don’t use a gainer but I have started to up my calorie and carb intake gradually. I started with 2000 cals, and about 60g carbs, currently I’ve progressed to 3000 cals, and 140g carbs. I’ve managed to stay fairly lean, however I’m wondering if anyone has and suggestions as to what I may try next (opinions, articles, things that have worked, etc…)

I am mostly in agreement with waylander on this one. I’ve used it para-workout with good success. I used 2/3 of a serving pre, 1/3 during and 2/3 post. Now I just take the 2/3 serving pre and go with protein and aminos during and post based upon articles by CT, Barr and Di Pasquale.