Whey vs. Weight Gainer

So im one of those guys that really has to go the extra mile to put on pounds…should I be getting buying containers of whey protein or go with calories and get bins of weight gainer?

My goal is to get bigger and put on muscle mass…definition can wait. ha

this is how I see it
If you want to stay “leaner” all year around go with whey, and just eat a lot more
If you just want to get big fast then go with the gainer… but you still need to eat more…

either way you should just eat more

If you get weight gain, you can get like 1200 calories in one serving, but to be honest I wouldn’t go near it unless you was a seriously hard gainer. You could be more precise with protein alone.

[quote]lloydk wrote:
If you get weight gain, you can get like 1200 calories in one serving, but to be honest I wouldn’t go near it unless you was a seriously hard gainer. You could be more precise with protein alone.[/quote]

1200kcal in one serving? That sounds like a hyyyyyoge serving tbh… Aren’t they normally 400kcal per 100g?

Try to get as much real food as you can before adding stuff. Gallon of Milk, Cheeseburgers, Pizza, All you can eat buffets once a week, etc. Also, from a cost perspective, I’ve found it’s cheaper to get tons of whey and mix it with milk, fruit, and icecream in a blender then it is to get weight gainer.

This has been covered so many times…

No, eat food, use whey… weightgainer is shitty sugar carbs… you would be better off with the fat from a burger or making some super shakes…

plus, almost everything else will taste better…

Most Gainers are filled with crap in an attempt to get a ton of calories. My buddy likes to mix a scoop of whey with a scoop of gainer. That way he doesnt have a zillion BS calories, but still has more cals than just taking 2 scoops of whey.

S

I use a bunch of weight-gainer when I’m bulking. I use prolab’s N-Large2, which is about 700 or so calories per serving, if i remember correctly (serving size is 4 scoops… quite large).
yeah, there IS a bunch of junk in there and really simple sugars and whatnot. however, for me, it makes a big difference.

If I’m bulking and not taking in a lot of really cheap calories, I feel like my body is burning protein, and anything else clean that I’m taking in just to get through its basic functions, and at the end, there is not much left for it to use to put towards building muscle. So, I try to give it at least a little bit of junk that it can burn up quickly.

Yes, I’ve tried clean bulks before, but I definitely do stall out. My body simply does much better bulking with a little crap in me.

(and no, this isn’t about discipline or anything. 9 months of the year or so, I eat how I want, which is actually really clean and also low-carb. I have to force myself to eat garbage when I’m bulking.)

dan

I love weight gainers, you have to be careful how you use them though. If you use them outside of PWO you can pretty much guarantee you will gain some fat pretty quickly.

Weight gainers are a joke. Loaded with crap and almost devoid of micronutrients comparatively to real food…Use REAL food! Tastier and healthier.
Full fat milk, cream cheese, heavy cream, egg yolks, nuts, a nice piece of fatty meat…

Example:

Put in a blender raw almond, full fat milk, milk/whey prot powder, whole egg or egg yolks, raisins…is it that difficult?

You’re short on time? Ok! Put in a shaker cup some whey protein, full fat milk, sugar/raw honey, cocoa powder/vanilla extract/oats/full fat sesame flour/flax meal…and you’re done! Healthier and I guess cheaper than those weight gainer bullshit.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Most Gainers are filled with crap in an attempt to get a ton of calories. My buddy likes to mix a scoop of whey with a scoop of gainer. That way he doesnt have a zillion BS calories, but still has more cals than just taking 2 scoops of whey.

S
[/quote]

most are but i take iso mass and its prob the only good one. mix that with oatmeal and milk 1200 cals

There are a lot of ways you can ‘hide’ calories in a simple protein shake. I used to mix up 2 scoops of cheap prot powder, then add in a few Tbsps of natty PB, some honey, and even some ground up oats, or flax oil.

At least this way you know exactly what you’re getting, and can actually shift the macros around depending on if you’d prefer more fats, or carbs.

S

Question: after your workout you want simple sugars and protein, so how can you guys say that the “weight gainers” are trash? They are exactly what you need for that situation.

only when pwo. Even then they are too expensive compared to the other options.

question: Outside of your pwo window you want lower GI carbs and protein, so how can you say they are awesome. When they are exactly what you don’t want for that situation.

[quote]Beatnik wrote:

question: Outside of your pwo window you want lower GI carbs and protein, so how can you say they are awesome. When they are exactly what you don’t want for that situation.[/quote]

??? I pay $48 for 31 servings, each serving is 46g protein 92g carbs and 550 calories, that’s cheap as fuck. What are you talking about?

Answer: Maybe you didn’t read my two previous posts. I clearly said weight gainers should be used almost exclusively for post workout otherwise you will gain fat pretty quickly.

I read that YOUR using them in your pwo window. Many others are not and same weight gainers labels suggest them at other times. The original poster didn’t clarify why and how he was using them.

Where i am weight gainers are more expensive then actually high calorie foods that can be put in a blender. Cream, milk, healthy oils, nuts…

I grant you. For PWO they are good. But so is chocolate milk and some whey. If i am cramming in calories outside of that time i use shakes that have more resemblence to an actual meal.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Beatnik wrote:

question: Outside of your pwo window you want lower GI carbs and protein, so how can you say they are awesome. When they are exactly what you don’t want for that situation.

??? I pay $48 for 31 servings, each serving is 46g protein 92g carbs and 550 calories, that’s cheap as fuck. What are you talking about?

Answer: Maybe you didn’t read my two previous posts. I clearly said weight gainers should be used almost exclusively for post workout otherwise you will gain fat pretty quickly.

[/quote]

i use it in the morning, have u ever tried iso-mass, that with 2 cups milk and 1 cup oatmeal is over 90g protein and over 1200 cals. and it tastes good ha

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
Beatnik wrote:

[/quote]

What are you currently using that is 31 servings for $48? If you don’t mind posting … or PM me. Just curious

They’re good after training… and convenient… but whey and malto would also do the trick…

I used to use them… they’re convenient… but I prefer whey and malto… I like to be able to control how much of what I ingest…