Whey vs. Mass Gainers?

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
mass gainers are usually just whey + tons of sugar.

Instead, do your body and health a favor, make your own.

2 sccops whey + 2 TBSP nuts or nut butter + 1 TBSP coconut oil + 1-4 TBSP heavy cream + veggies or fruit on the side. You could blend them in as well, but depends on what flavor whey you use.

600-800 calories right there depending upon amounts. Obviously you could adjust as needed.[/quote]

If you can convince a 16yr old to do that on a daily basis…that would be something! [/quote]

A tall order that only the most disciplined will follow.

Banana/s+heavy whipping cream+whey+whole milk does pretty good. Adjust the calories by the amount of banana, heavy whipping cream, or %fat milk. It’s really easy and the most expensive part is the protein powder.

You can take 2 minutes to blend it, then consume during your commute to work.

Is it ideal? Probably not, but sure is easy.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Banana/s+heavy whipping cream+whey+whole milk does pretty good. Adjust the calories by the amount of banana, heavy whipping cream, or %fat milk. It’s really easy and the most expensive part is the protein powder.

Is it ideal? Probably not, but sure is easy. [/quote]

That’s actually a very good concoction: fruit, pro powder, dairy.

Could adjust nutrition or calories by using whatever’s good: Super Food or Greens Plus, oatmeal, fruits, honey, oils, nut butters, veggies (carrots or spinach go good with some pro powder flavos), nuts, flax seeds or meal, appple sauce, pasteurized egg whites, cottage cheese.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Could adjust nutrition or calories by using whatever’s good: Super Food or Greens Plus, oatmeal, fruits, honey, oils, nut butters, veggies (carrots or spinach go good with some pro powder flavos), nuts, flax seeds or meal, appple sauce, pasteurized egg whites, cottage cheese. [/quote]

sounds complicated :smiley:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

Could adjust nutrition or calories by using whatever’s good: Super Food or Greens Plus, oatmeal, fruits, honey, oils, nut butters, veggies (carrots or spinach go good with some pro powder flavos), nuts, flax seeds or meal, appple sauce, pasteurized egg whites, cottage cheese. [/quote]

sounds complicated :D[/quote]

Not more complicated than throwing stuff in a blender and pressing buttons.

You can see I’m JB Super Shake influenced. :slight_smile:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:

sounds complicated :D[/quote]

Not more complicated than throwing stuff in a blender and pressing buttons.

You can see I’m JB Super Shake influenced. :)[/quote]

If only I’d work up the courage to toss in a hard boiled egg, would make life easier.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
There are a lot of big guys who’ve done dumb or unhealthy shit despite their bigness (many of whom regret their unhealthy ways).

No one needs to big in order to qualify for stating something true–like a concoction of pro powder, fruit, healthy oils, nut butter, and dairy products being better than a tub of shit, processed carbs with little micro-nutrition.

[/quote]
?

Who said anything about being unhealthy? What are you talking about? My guess is, there are more really big guys walking around who do have a clue than there are huge guys who somehow went from skinny to huge by accident.

You would only have a point if someone gained muscle no matter what they did and started out more muscular than average.

No one said someone had to be huge to state something true. What was said was that when it comes to getting really big, consistency is often more important than trying to impress everyone with how “healthy” you think you are eating…so the guys who got big and learned how to make it a regular part of their life for years are who I would listen to over some little guy who never did what he advises for very long to get big.

The results are what matters, not how “healthy” you make advice sound.

You can’t even argue against that without sounding crazy.

^ I honestly don’t even know what you’re arguing.

Good advice is good advice. Consistency is up to the individual.

Yes, ease of said advice is important for long term consistency.

I gave good advice, that doesn’t get much easier.

That said, the thought of such a shake does stress some people out. Why, I don’t know.

WTF is going on in this thread?

It literally takes about 90 seconds to make the shake JF advised. You can assemble it, mix it, drink it and wash the blender out in under five minutes. Easy.

If you don’t include oats or something that will get soggy/bulky, just mix it the night before, keep it in the fridge and then blend it for 10 seconds in the morning to freshen it up. If you want oats, sort your servings in Tupperware at the beginning of each week and throw one into the shake each morning (not that it takes much time to scoop straight from the canister, though).

If you don’t have the time for THAT in the morning, you are the exception to the rule.

[quote]anonym wrote:

If you don’t have the time for THAT in the morning, you are the exception to the rule.[/quote]

LOL… that said, for myself, I wake up at 530am most days, and roll out the door by 545am, so I take care of all my to-dos the night before. Even making the shake, just makes sense :wink:

Sometimes a little planning is all it takes, and of course an open mind.

[quote]anonym wrote:

It literally takes about 90 seconds to make the shake JF advised. You can assemble it, mix it, drink it and wash the blender out in under five minutes. Easy.

If you don’t include oats or something that will get soggy/bulky, just mix it the night before, keep it in the fridge and then blend it for 10 seconds in the morning to freshen it up. If you want oats, sort your servings in Tupperware at the beginning of each week and throw one into the shake each morning (not that it takes much time to scoop straight from the canister, though).

If you don’t have the time for THAT in the morning, you are the exception to the rule.[/quote]

^^ This x 1000. Thank you!!

[quote]wswnsc wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

^^ This x 1000. Thank you!!
[/quote]

x 2000.

A shake like that takes virtually no time at all. My go to shake of water, ice, 2 scoops pro, 1 cup oats, 1 banana, 2tbs VCO or PB takes less than 5 minutes to make, drink and clean up afterwards.

It’s so easy and so much better for you than some lame “Mass Gainer.”

2 TBBP VCO? holy crap, I only say that b/c large amount can cause stomach upset. I know one time I accidentally doubled it, felt terrible, had to leave work early.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

The results are what matters, not how “healthy” you make advice sound.

You can’t even argue against that without sounding crazy.[/quote]

I understand your points about consistency.

However, those who speak of health and body composition are speaking about them because they’re actually concerned about them, not because they want to “sound healthy”, nor are most people here concerned about “sounding healthy”, but rather BEING healthy.

And regarding bodybuilding, most big guys have nothing special to say than guys who know their stuff, who are in some cases impressive, but not behemoths.

Two authors on here, Jim Wendler (competed in 275 class, if I recall correctly) and Eric Cressey (competed in the 198 class, if I recall correctly) differ in size dramatically but are probably equal in knowledge on powerlifting, just as Dorian Yates has nothing special to say compared to Marc Dugdale.

What is a big guy gonna say–do 3 x 8-10, eat a lot, do 3 to 4 exercise per bodypart?

2 TBBP VCO? holy crap, I only say that b/c large amount can cause stomach upset. I know one time I accidentally doubled it, felt terrible, had to leave work early.[/quote]

It doesn’t bother my stomach. I actually got some PB that had VCO in it cause EBomb suggests it. Pretty friggin delicious lol

What’s VCO?

Virgin coconut oil.

in regards to the original post.

most mass gainers are usually low quality protein + sugar.

instead buy a high quality protein, and add your own sugar (if you want).

If you are getting fat to fast - add less sugar, or none.

there are also other calorie dense foods you can add, such as heavy cream, peanut butter, or whatever.

What’s the point in the sugar anyway?

I just don’t understand the concept of a mass gainer in the first place.

Won’t milk/cream + protein powder do the same thing? Or is there something special about the design of a mass gainer that I’m missing?