Whey vs. Mass Gainers?

So im looking to gain a lot of weight during this off-season of football. We still have playoffs but im just planning ahead.

I’ve been given recommendations for both, but some say whey over mass gainer because mass gainer will put basically all fat on me?

Any opinions and help would be appreciated!

mass gainers are usually just whey + tons of sugar.

Instead, do your body and health a favor, make your own.

2 sccops whey + 2 TBSP nuts or nut butter + 1 TBSP coconut oil + 1-4 TBSP heavy cream + veggies or fruit on the side. You could blend them in as well, but depends on what flavor whey you use.

600-800 calories right there depending upon amounts. Obviously you could adjust as needed.

I like to go whey + solid food for my carbs/fats, minus during workout, obvi

[quote]bakerwildcat4 wrote:
So im looking to gain a lot of weight during this off-season of football. We still have playoffs but im just planning ahead.

I’ve been given recommendations for both, but some say whey over mass gainer because mass gainer will put basically all fat on me?

Any opinions and help would be appreciated![/quote]

Too many calories and not enough movement will put “all fat on you”. Weight gainers are simply more calories. Yes, some of them do contain a lot of sugar…which means if you use one, don’t be stupid and pay attention to if you are simply eating too much or if you are taking in too much as far as carbohydrates.

I have used them before but know from experience that using them too often or taking in more than a certain number a day just ends up on my waist.

Since everyone is different, no one can know where that limit is for you.

Don’t go overboard and learn the difference between just putting on fat and gaining some muscle. Your strength gains should be the focus there at your stage.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Too many calories and not enough movement will put “all fat on you”. Weight gainers are simply more calories. Yes, some of them do contain a lot of sugar…which means if you use one, don’t be stupid and pay attention to if you are simply eating too much or if you are taking in too much as far as carbohydrates.

I have used them before but know from experience that using them too often or taking in more than a certain number a day just ends up on my waist.

Since everyone is different, no one can know where that limit is for you.

Don’t go overboard and learn the difference between just putting on fat and gaining some muscle. Your strength gains should be the focus there at your stage.[/quote]

Would you agree that a problem with a lot of weight gainers is the shitty quality products, also?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

2 sccops whey + 2 TBSP nuts or nut butter + 1 TBSP coconut oil + 1-4 TBSP heavy cream + veggies or fruit on the side. You could blend them in as well, but depends on what flavor whey you use.

600-800 calories right there depending upon amounts. Obviously you could adjust as needed.[/quote]

If you can convince a 16yr old to do that on a daily basis…that would be something!

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

600-800 calories right there depending upon amounts. Obviously you could adjust as needed.[/quote]

If you can convince a 16yr old to do that on a daily basis…that would be something! [/quote]

Dude, I wouldn’t do that on a daily basis. I don’t have that much time to get things ready for work to basically mix a meal like a cake every morning.

I also wouldn’t be convinced it would be better than a weight gainer that isn’t super heavy on simple carbs.

IMO…the majority of your calories should come from solid food. I also believe priority #1 is adequate protein intake, so the whey would be my first choice if you can only afford one. If you can afford both, a weight gainer can be added to your first shake/meal following serious workouts to help with recovery. As the Prof. mentioned your goals should be performanced based at your age…how much more can I lift [correctly of course], how much higher can I jump,…how much faster can I run,…and so on. Consistency is most important!

If you can convince a 16yr old to do that on a daily basis…that would be something! [/quote]

Dude, I wouldn’t do that on a daily basis. I don’t have that much time to get things ready for work to basically mix a meal like a cake every morning.

I also wouldn’t be convinced it would be better than a weight gainer that isn’t super heavy on simple carbs.[/quote]

Yeah; I’m not very good at online humor…I’m more comfortable w/sarcasm.

weight gainers are stupid in my opinion because of the COST

when I was making my way up in weight and was busy with school and work I’d often make this:

~2 cups water
2 servings whey
2 servings oats

blend

I’d get whey for ~$5 per lb and the oats from costco. I’d pretend I was at a frat party and just chugged this like a beer. It’s not filling at all, plus the carbs from oats give me a pump somehow

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
weight gainers are stupid in my opinion because of the COST

whey I was making my way up in weight and was busy with school and work I would often make this

~2 cups water
2 servings whey
2 servings oats

I’d get whey for ~$5 per lb and the oats from costco. It was easy to chug this quickly and it’s not filling at all. Plus the carbs from oats give me a pump somehow[/quote]

That wouldn’t be enough calories for me when I use one…which is the point.

Cheap whey also screws with my lactose intolerance.

prolly cuz you’re black

I can drink a gallon of milk a day without having a brown disaster, so cheap whey sits fine with my stomach. I liked these shakes because I could knock back 3 of these a day in between meals without difficulty. What would you suggest him make as a weight gainer?

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
prolly cuz you’re black

I can drink a gallon of milk a day without having a brown disaster, so cheap whey sits fine with my stomach. I liked these shakes because I could knock back 3 of these a day in between meals without difficulty. What would you suggest him make as a weight gainer?[/quote]

I go by what my stomach can handle and what actually helps me make good progress. I used one after my first car accident which is why I gained fat like I did (because I had been that same weight with less fat a year earlier). I lost muscle and gained fat because of my reduced activity level and goal of staying the same weight despite the decrease in mobility.

I also wouldn’t be convinced it would be better than a weight gainer that isn’t super heavy on simple carbs.[/quote]

LOL, not convinced that real food is better than a powder on the market of whey+sugar, from a dentist no less?

I usually make 2-3 of these a day, at once. I’m surprised you sound so lazy, yes, it’s different than what you do now, but it literally take 5-mins for me to make 3 meals of this.

Narrow mindset is rampant these days I guess.

Maybe if someone thinks it’s too tough to take 5 mins to make a nutritious shake to gain weight they’re in the wrong hobby :wink: sound familiar

Sound’s good.I like the add cream old school program.The thing is,it’s easy to add muscle/Fat and unfortunately that second part,the fat will be a major player in a bulk routine.

[quote]johnny k53 wrote:

Sound’s good.I like the add cream old school program.The thing is,it’s easy to add muscle/Fat and unfortunately that second part,the fat will be a major player in a bulk routine.[/quote]

It will be a lot easier by not consuming tons of sugar :wink:

LOL, not convinced that real food is better than a powder on the market of whey+sugar, from a dentist no less?

I usually make 2-3 of these a day, at once. I’m surprised you sound so lazy, yes, it’s different than what you do now, but it literally take 5-mins for me to make 3 meals of this.
[/quote]

You miss my point…

One, you aren’t that big…BECAUSE you have not done any of what you are talking about on a consistent basis to get huge. THAT is the point.

It is great to give out some recipe you have. However, if someone who has actually put in the time and focus to do what it takes to gain a lot of size consistently for years gives out a recommendation, I do find value in the person understanding the difference between

“Great idea guy who really hasn’t done what he speaks off for seriously long periods of time daily”

and

“Idea from guy7 who got big doing exactly what he wrote”

It takes a hell of a lot of time and consistency to get big without just being fat. That means daily repetitive shit that most people won’t do nonstop for years on end.

It’s not always about what sounds best. Sometimes it really is about what someone is most likely to actually do even when times get rough. That is what will get them to their actual goals.

In short, you gave a good idea. I just hope this guy listening will do what he will actually be most likely to do from now on to reach his goal…which in my experience comes from other guys who did that too.

There are a lot of big guys who’ve done dumb or unhealthy shit despite their bigness (many of whom regret their unhealthy ways).

No one needs to big in order to qualify for stating something true–like a concoction of pro powder, fruit, healthy oils, nut butter, and dairy products being better than a tub of shit, processed carbs with little micro-nutrition.