Whey vs Greek Yogurt - Post Workout Shake

I have recently been diagnised with high blood pressure and cholesterol and I am working to get my numbers down. I am 64. I am already lifting 4 days a week and walking most days. I am moving toward the Mediterannean Diet and cutting down on the alcohol.

My question is in reguards to my post - workout shakes and whether to use Whey Protein Powder or Greek Yogurt in them.

Anyone have any insight to which is better for recovery and in relation to high blood pressure and cholesterol. My goal is to stay off medication if possible.

Well, both are dairy-based and likely to be recommended as part of a hypertension-reducing diet.

Whey has some amount of ACE-inhibition properties, which should lower blood pressure.

Greek yogurt is full of potassium; an improved ratio of potassium to sodium should lower blood pressure.

Why not both? Greek yogurt before, whey after.

For what it’s worth, cardiovascular training is likely to go a lot further toward lowering your blood pressure than will strength training. Certainly do both, but don’t forget the cardio.

On that note, your post-workout meals also really only matter in context with your total daily diet.

For cholesterol, how does your HDL:LDL ratio look? I’ve had quantifiable success improving my HDL by taking Flameout (fish oil sold by this site). My total daily cholesterol appears to be most sensitive to carbohydrate and fiber intake vs dietary fats.

In both cases, blood pressure and cholesterol, my greatest numerical improvements have trended directly with my bodyweight: when I lose weight, I have better numbers.

I also should tag @QuadQueen here as someone actually qualified to help on this topic. I am not an RD and everything above is my personal experience.

3 Likes

This has been my experience with blood pressure too. Not so much total cholesterol but blood pressure for certain.

1 Like

If you mix whey into greek yogurt, you make a protein pudding that is really yummy, and then you don’t even need the shake.

6 Likes

At 64 y.o you don’t really care about becoming the next olympia so I would pick greek yogurt for health (and some added whey but not much).

I failed to mention that I also walk 2.5 miles after each lifting session including Saturdays after some Famer walks.

My total cholesterol is 236
Triglycerides -67
HDL -74
LDL- 151
LDL/HDL Ratio -2.0

This is the perfect answer!

Greek yogurt is great, as long as it’s not flavored and full of sugar and whey protein is good too. Mix it up!

Also, look at increasing your veggies, decreasing your processed/refined carbs and sugar. Blood cholesterol is very much affected by consuming low quality fats and carbs at the same time. This is the make-up of pretty much every hyperpalatable food known to man - cookies, cake, chips, etc.

Focus on monounsaturated fat sources, lean proteins, and whole grains when you have grains at all. Bump up your veggie intake too. Extra fiber helps clear cholesterol from the body.

If you maximize your diet, increase your activity and are diligent about your sleep and stress levels, things should improve!!

4 Likes