T Nation

Whey Protein=MSG?

Ok, I am reading an article about MSG and towards the end I get a big surprise.

“The whey protein concentrate and liquid aminos that many Americans buy at health food stores are also, essentially, pure glutamate, Dr. Chaudhari said.” In other words pure MSG!

This quote comes on page two towards the bottom of the page.

How could this be right? I did further research and found that this wasn’t a misquote. Eating MSG in small amounts is probably not a big deal, but we all know how much protein powder we use. Downing a few buckets full of MSG over the coarse of a year can’t be good for you!

They may all be glutamates, but that doesn’t mean they have the same effects.

Take note of the line “But no large-scale clinical research has been done since the F.D.A.�??s 1995 review.”

Why do you assume MSG is bad for you?

I don’t assume. There are studies. I try to avoid MSG for the same reason I avoid aspartame or hydrogenated soy products. I don’t worry about small amounts in food though.

But I do worry about large amounts. And for serious lifters you know that you are consuming a lot of whey protein.

I’ve switched alot of my food to natural now, and I am wondering if I should just get my protein from beef, eggs, chicken etc.

MSG is a food additive and/or spice. It is NOT the same thing as Whey powder.

A couple quotes from your article:
“MSG, a cheap, synthetic route to the flavor of glutamate.”

“it has been positively identified as the flavor of glutamic acid, an amino acid naturally present in many savory foods, from seaweed to soppressata.”

It is a synthetically produced “spice” made to taste like glutamic acid. glutamic acid itself is NOT MSG.

cueball

[quote]cueball wrote:
MSG is a food additive and/or spice. It is NOT the same thing as Whey powder.

A couple quotes from your article:
“MSG, a cheap, synthetic route to the flavor of glutamate.”

“it has been positively identified as the flavor of glutamic acid, an amino acid naturally present in many savory foods, from seaweed to soppressata.”

It is a synthetically produced “spice” made to taste like glutamic acid. glutamic acid itself is NOT MSG.

cueball[/quote]

Good post.

Everyone should learn chemistry; it will help decipher some of the ridiculous misinformation one will come across.

As far as I remember MSG was never an issue of health (like aspartame) but rather it caused headaches if you had it on a regular basis then stopped.

aka chinese food headaches.

[quote]tweekafaik wrote:
As far as I remember MSG was never an issue of health (like aspartame) but rather it caused headaches if you had it on a regular basis then stopped.

aka chinese food headaches.
[/quote]

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/uncategorized/savory-monosodium-glutamate/

OP, have you actually seen those “studies?” I doubt it.

I don’t know if whey is the same as MSG, but even if it is the main difference is that MSG is artificially produced whereas whey is all natural and comes from food. It’s kinda like comparing the naturally occurring trans fat in beef to the trans fat in a McDonald’s fry

http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mufqfK6Ybjc&feature=channel

You decide what is good for you.

Cheers

The mistake comes from a little known fact, combined with a fundamental error.

Ever wonder why, when amino acid content is listed for protein products such as whey, in most cases it appears there is zero glutamine? But a large amount of glutamic acid is listed?

It is not because the protein contains no glutamine, or so much glutamic acid.

It is because the analytical process converts all glutamine to glutamic acid, and thus only the total of the two is measured, and is reported as glutamic acid.

Further, of course even that which is glutamic acid, is not present as free glutamic acid, but rather is incorporated into the protein chains and is absorbed as part of di and tri peptides, principally.

So in fact it is quite different from actually having glutamic acid in it per se. Which would be functionally equivalent, other than with regard to sodium intake, to having MSG in it. But it’s not remotely the case at all.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

Ever wonder why, when amino acid content is listed for protein products such as whey, in most cases it appears there is zero glutamine? But a large amount of glutamic acid is listed?

It is because the analytical process converts all glutamine to glutamic acid, and thus only the total of the two is measured, and is reported as glutamic acid.

Further, of course even that which is glutamic acid, is not present as free glutamic acid, but rather is incorporated into the protein chains and is absorbed as part of di and tri peptides, principally.

So in fact it is quite different from actually having glutamic acid in it per se. Which would be functionally equivalent, other than with regard to sodium intake, to having MSG in it. But it’s not remotely the case at all.[/quote]

Bill, I love your posts but I have to break my balls to figure out what the fuck you are talking about. Are you saying it’s a trivial amount of MSG? Thanks.

I said that there is no glutamate at all in there.

Also no MSG.

Sorry for the hijack but, I have a quick question. Does MSG effect blood sugars? can it be eaten by diabetics? I have read sources that say yes and no.

I’m sorry, but I’ve never looked into that.

is msg a type of salt?

[quote]bartonmlee wrote:
is msg a type of salt?

[/quote]

Technically, yes.

[quote]ivexplorer wrote:
I don’t assume. There are studies. I try to avoid MSG for the same reason I avoid aspartame or hydrogenated soy products. I don’t worry about small amounts in food though.

But I do worry about large amounts. And for serious lifters you know that you are consuming a lot of whey protein.

I’ve switched alot of my food to natural now, and I am wondering if I should just get my protein from beef, eggs, chicken etc.[/quote]

I would love to see the studies that prove aspartame is bad for those of us who aren’t a phenylketonuric. For each one you cite, I could cite 10 more that shows it to be harmless in the quanitites any American consumes it in. Of course if you consume 1,339 cubic liters of aspartame per unit of time it might harm you, but that’s just like anything else. Consume too much water per unit time and it will kill you also.

i had to be sure, because in certain chinese restautrants that i’ve gone to had such huge amounts i would
get servere headaches and the last one i had turned into a migraine 2yrs so i aske for no msg and havent had any issues since then. thougt i’d share…

[quote]Chi-Towns-Finest wrote:
Bill Roberts wrote:

So in fact it is quite different from actually having glutamic acid in it per se. Which would be functionally equivalent, other than with regard to sodium intake, to having MSG in it. But it’s not remotely the case at all.

Bill, I love your posts but I have to break my balls to figure out what the fuck you are talking about. Are you saying it’s a trivial amount of MSG? Thanks.[/quote]

Lol, that’s how I feel sometime about his post.