T Nation

Whey Protein, Good or Bad?

I’m debating getting a jar of protein – care to weigh in?

Pro: As a vegetarian with scant access to tofu, I don’t get more than 50g of protein most days. That can’t be good.

Con: I’m a novice, and I hate the idea of buying a lot of fancy supplies that I haven’t “earned.” I wouldn’t buy a super-duper racing bike for a few leisurely weekend rides.

I work out six days a week and lift as heavy as I can, but by T-Nation standards I’m still pretty wimpy. (Only four months since the first day I picked up a weight.) So I guess I’m wondering if protein would help someone like me make gains, or if it’s more for people at a competitive level.

Thanks for your help!

“The first rule of whey protein is, you don’t talk about whey protein.”

In the time it took you to start this thread, you could have more than doubled your daily protein intake with two scoops and some whole milk.

What do YOU think?

i used whey protein for a long time and it definitely helps.
recently i made the switch to whey protein isolate after doing some research.
some of those are isopure, iso-100, and nectar.

You don’t have to earn protein, that’s one of the basics, and you definitely need more than 50g.

I use whey protein when I’m busy, and it really helps get it in. Just think of it as a food instead of a supplement.

[quote]AlisaV wrote:

Con: I’m a novice, and I hate the idea of buying a lot of fancy supplies that I haven’t “earned.” I wouldn’t buy a super-duper racing bike for a few leisurely weekend rides.

So I guess I’m wondering if protein would help someone like me make gains, or if it’s more for people at a competitive level.
[/quote]
Protein and fish oil are really more foods then they are supplements. If you are not getting enough from the solid foods you eat (Which is nearly everyone), you should be taking them. They aren’t something you have to “earn”, they’re ways to make sure that you are getting the essential nutrients you need if you diet isn’t providing them.

Okay, that’s my answer. Thanks. Time for me to make a trip to Olive May & pick up my jar of nutritious gunk.

tom8658,

It is the beginner forum, this is the right place for a beginner to find these things out.

AlisaV,

Whey protein undoubtably will help you and will not be a waste if you’ve been keeping to this for four months. On the scale of things for us as physique enthusiasts, this is like asking a vegetarian if leafy greens would be a waste.

If you’re a lacto-ovo vegetarian then you could get your protein that way, because you didn’t mention that I’ll assume that you source your protein from nuts and legumes (including soy).

While nuts are a decent source of protein, to get your protein requirements from them would be both difficult and undesirable. Legumes are iffy because it’s questionable how usefull the protein they provide is to the human body and they’ve been implicated (soy cheifly among them) as carriers of phytoestregens. Basically plant based estrogen that depending on the quantity can reek havoc on the health of men and women to varying degrees.

So in short I think that gettin your protein from whey would be a step in the right direction.

I am lacto-ovo, and I’m fairly religious about eggs and milk. It’s just not enough. I would have to eat embarrassing quantities to get to 100 grams of protein.

Lacto-ovo means you eat dairy and eggs, right?

You’re not going to do creepy things with it, are you? (It is the internets, after all.)

Edit: yeah, dairy and eggs are fine. I don’t know how I’d manage otherwise.

just a heads up, a lot of protein supplements are produced by grinding cow livers and other spare parts of farm animals (which isn’t to say that it won’t be a good source of protein). I believe whey is a cheese/dairy product. This is just something to keep in mind if you are infact religious.

I’m pretty sure those that are lactose intolerant can take whey normally.

[quote]Gumpshmee wrote:
tom8658,

It is the beginner forum, this is the right place for a beginner to find these things out.
[/quote]

My only regret is that the picture of BPIFC didn’t upload.

[quote]BSrunner wrote:
just a heads up, a lot of protein supplements are produced by grinding cow livers and other spare parts of farm animals.
[/quote]

What now? Would you care to name brands?

[quote]
I’m pretty sure those that are lactose intolerant can take whey normally. [/quote]

That depends. If you get the zero-carb stuff you should be fine, but a lot of whey blends have a little lactose in them, so if you’re really sensitive it could be a problem. ON Gold Standard actually has lactase in the mix to help with that.

Whey protein is one of the proteins naturally found in milk. Most whey protein has trace amounts of lactose left in it (~5% I believe). Some people who are lactose intolerant can handle it and others can’t.

I’m pretty severely lactose intolerant and I do not use whey protein. I can digest it ok, but even the mild discomfort I get is unpleasant enough that I had to find an alternative. I’ve used egg white protein consistently and with good results. It’s supposedly a bit less bioavailable than whey but if you can’t digest whey I doubt it matters.

I would recommend either!

Well, thanks for talking me into it – I now have a jar of whey!
(My roommate is going to think I’m such a weirdo. Ah, well.)

AlisaV- I’m also a lacto-ovo veg. If you want to build, the protein supplement is a must. Obviously I don’t need to convince you of that anymore (since you already got it), but just wanted to give you the additional encouragement as a fellow veg.

This should be useful-

Also, a gallon of whole milk gives something in the region of 145grams of protein, and most people consume that daily…
Just make sure it’s not you’re PRIMARY protein source.
(I wasn’t sure what lacto-ovo means, so I jsut threw in the above for good measure)

Thanks – very useful. (Like most vegetarians, I think, my challenge has been to avoid going crazy with the carbs. When I first started logging what I ate, I realized I was essentially going to turn into a ball of starch. I’m trying to counter that as best I can: dairy, eggs, beans, tofu, as well as typical green veggies.)

And thanks, xkungpowx. We’re in the minority, but we can do it.

HOW CAN YOU EAT CHICKEN FETUSES IF YOU ARE A VEGETARIAN?

Oh, chill out.