T Nation

Whey Protein & Excessive Thirst?

I’ve been having issues with excessive thirst, hunger, & urination for going on two years now. It isn’t diabetes, glucose always comes back good.

Fasting Glucose:

10/2004 - 76 mg/dL
10/2005 - 78 mg/dL
03/2006 - 85 mg/dL
05/2006 - 93 mg/dL

75g Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (5/2006):

Fasting - 90 mg/dL
1/2 hour - 124 mg/dL
1 hour - 68 mg/dL
2 hour - 65 mg/dL
3 hour - 66 mg/dL

Insulin, Fasting (5/2006):

7.1 uIU/mL

One thing I’ve noticed in the last week since increasing my intake of whey protein is a marked increase in thirst in the subsequent hours after ingestion. It isn’t related to an increase in overall protein intake, but rather something I have just come to notice due to consuming more throughout the day. I’ve gone from about 20-60g / day to 80-120g / day.

Couple days ago I loaded up about 110g before noon, and had the worst thirst I’ve had in weeks.

The thirst is nothing new, it’s something I’ve been dealing with for quite a while now. I’m constantly drinking water, have a glass sitting in almost every room of my house, and a mini-fridge at work filled with nothing but water. Nothing takes care of the thirst (or the hunger or urination for that matter; the increase in whey was an attempt to combat the hunger).

My question is am I the only one this happens to? I searched on the internet for a couple hours before posting as not to waste peoples time but couldn’t find anything related.

Define “excessive”. How much water are you drinking exactly? Most of us here with any size on us would qualify as “eating and drinking excessively” if you compared to someone sedentary. You just wrote that it isn’t part of a disease process so why are you worried about it? Afraid to be different?

How long have you been working out? Are you taking anything that gives you an advantage? Any meds?

Anyway, eating meat, cottage cheese or other high protein meals always makes me thirsty, I think that is natural.

Are you in a dry environment? Air conditioned office?

How on Earth are you defining excessive thirst and hunger!!! You’d better not be a skinny mofo complaining about being hungry all the time… :stuck_out_tongue:

if you’re thirsty drink more whats the problem!

What brand of whey are you using? It’s possible that it could contain MSG, which would explain the increased thirst and hunger.

From what I had read (so this isn’t even my opinion) with regard to MSG:

Free form glutamic acid is formed as a by product of making whey protein, powdered milk, etc. There are MANY hidden sources of this since it’s an amino acid. Although MSG is the sodium from this amino acid, the FREE FORM of it and have the same effects. When the glutamic acid is bound with other aminos the body can handle it fine, but in free form for those that are sensitive it can cause alot of issues.

If you look at whey it is always abnormally high in glutamic acid compared to the other aminos usually by X3. I have a feeling it is responsible for my insomnia when I consume whey. It may have an excitory effect on brain neurons. However, this is all speculation but something to consider.

I take back what I said about free form glutamate. Seems that 3g/serving is nothing compared to what is found in everyday foods. However, these powders CAN contain MSG as the other poster indicated so best to watch out for all the flavoured stuff. Might also be the artificial flavourings.

http://www.gordonresearch.com/articles_autism/approach_to_reversing.html

Hyperparathyroidism, hyperthyroidism, and hypercortisolism, can cause excessive thirst and the last two for sure hunger as well.

I’ve had the same problem as you. Limitless hunger, even after eating 7000 calories a day. Constantly thirsty and going to the bathroom every half hour. I don’t care what anyone tells you, that is not normal. If one is not sweating excessively they shouldn’t have to consume 10L of water a day.

I’ve had my thyroid, serum calcium (for parathyroid), and glucose(tolerance and fasting) all checked, which turned out normal which is now running my attention to possible excess cortisol. I haven’t had any tests to confirm, just a hunch on what I’ve read. I have a lot of the symptoms as well.

For now the best that’s helped is keeping my protein and fat intake high with moderate carbs. I’m in the process of trying some supplements known to reduce cortisol so I’ll see how that goes.

[quote]Bri Hildebrandt wrote:
Hyperparathyroidism, hyperthyroidism, and hypercortisolism, can cause excessive thirst and the last two for sure hunger as well.

I’ve had the same problem as you. Limitless hunger, even after eating 7000 calories a day. Constantly thirsty and going to the bathroom every half hour. I don’t care what anyone tells you, that is not normal. If one is not sweating excessively they shouldn’t have to consume 10L of water a day.

I’ve had my thyroid, serum calcium (for parathyroid), and glucose(tolerance and fasting) all checked, which turned out normal which is now running my attention to possible excess cortisol. I haven’t had any tests to confirm, just a hunch on what I’ve read. I have a lot of the symptoms as well.

For now the best that’s helped is keeping my protein and fat intake high with moderate carbs. I’m in the process of trying some supplements known to reduce cortisol so I’ll see how that goes.[/quote]

Well seeing as how you’re 230 at 8% BF I’d say you must just have a damned fast metabolism.

Yes, I do have a very fast metabolism and my friends hate me for it. :slight_smile: Although it is quite uncomfortable, and have had a number of health complaints possibly related to it. It’s not as bad as it used to be. Through diet and less exercise I’ve managed to control it somewhat. I can only workout once or twice a week. Any more than that and my metabolism soars to horrendous levels. I feel like an anomaly. :slight_smile: I’d trade in my metabolism if I could feel better.

There are periods where I think I’m “cured”, only to have things backfire on me. I’m still researching how to control this thing. My main health complaints have been; Fatigue, depression, back pain, hearing loss(mild to moderate in the upper frequencies), tinnitus, anxiety, hypoglycemia, acne, eczema, brain fog/cognitive dysfunction, seasonal allergies from may to sept, ridged nails, excessively tight muscles(hypomobility, muscles in constant spasm), and that’s all I can think of now. :slight_smile:

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:

Well seeing as how you’re 230 at 8% BF I’d say you must just have a damned fast metabolism.[/quote]

Good post.